Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electrical

My unit is stored presently at a facility that I can pug into a GFCI. I keep tripping the GFCI. I had the GFCI tested and it's not that. I can pug into a house and it doesn't trip that breaker. This is not GFCI problem. I talked to a dealer about it and they keep thinking it is at the storage place. I don't think so. There are rows of rigs that are bigger then mine pugged in and and none of their GFCI are popped.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure it's coming off the 120V system. It doesn't pop right away. Takes 30 seconds sometimes more. I unplugged the micro, turned off (down the refrid. didn't unplug it) I have nothing else on.

I'm not convinced the dealer understands how a GFCI works, and I'm afraid if I take it in to them, it's going to cost me a fortune and they aren't going to figure it out. I'm thinking it is something in the inverter.

Appreciate any help.
Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
GFCI'S are not very friendly to "Most" RV's...........
They are intended for outdoor use to protect humans from electrical shock, which is not needed for supply power to a RV. If you plug into a regular outlet you will most likely find your problem will be gone.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Well this is true, it works on a regular outlet but that doesn't help me for where I store it. They have GFCI. So this is common? Anyone else have this problem. I don't need to go searching for something wrong?
Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemus View Post
Well this is true, it works on a regular outlet but that doesn't help me for where I store it. They have GFCI. So this is common? Anyone else have this problem. I don't need to go searching for something wrong?
Yes , this is very common, try and see if they will install a regular outlet for you. Ever notice campground/resorts electrical pedestals the only GFCI outlet is the 15/20 amp one. The national electrical code makes them install a GFCI if it is a outdoors outlet to protect humans. You will just have to see if they will change it for you do to your problem. Just promise not to use power tools in the outlet
Old 04-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
My unit is stored presently at a facility that I can pug into a GFCI. I keep tripping the GFCI. I had the GFCI tested and it's not that. I can pug into a house and it doesn't trip that breaker. This is not GFCI problem. I talked to a dealer about it and they keep thinking it is at the storage place. I don't think so. There are rows of rigs that are bigger then mine pugged in and and none of their GFCI are popped.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure it's coming off the 120V system. It doesn't pop right away. Takes 30 seconds sometimes more. I unplugged the micro, turned off (down the refrid. didn't unplug it) I have nothing else on.
I'm not convinced the dealer understands how a GFCI works, and I'm afraid if I take it in to them, it's going to cost me a fortune and they aren't going to figure it out. I'm thinking it is something in the inverter.
Appreciate any help.
Bemus
To find the cause of your problem:
1.) Disconnect the power cord from the GFCI outlet.
2.) Switch off ALL of the 120V circuit breakers in your RV.. AND unplug EVERY 120V appliance ....(including the refrigerator.)
3.) Plug the RV cord into the GFCI outlet
4.) Turn the circuit breakers ON ONE by ONE...
then plug things in one by one.

When the GFCI trips you have found the cause.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on what Mel said.

A GFCI compares the amount of current on the hot side with the amount on the common side.
It trips if they don't match because it means that someone might be getting shocked.
There must be zero current in the ground wire (green wire).

RV'S usually give you an option of bonding (connecting) the common and earth ground together with a jumper. Check if you have that and try both ways.

Regards,

Dan
Old 04-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Most find it is the converter/inverter or the fridge, if it is a absorption refrigerator when on AC power.
Inverter's do not like GFCI's
Old 04-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Nothing to add here other than, yes, I have had the exact same problem. Fortunately I was told right away that GFI's and RV's don't play well together before wasting money chasing a ghost. I would agree that perhaps you can get your storage place to change out the outlet for a non-GFI outlet. Of course, they were willing to put in a 30A or 50A circuit that would be fantastic although extremely unlikely.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you do have a problem. Maybe not a serious one, but you do have a "ground fault" in the RV. As others have mentioned, it is not all that unusual in an RV, but it is still a ground fault, i.e. a wire shorting to ground.

Plugging into a non-GFCI outlet simply means you remain ignorant of the problem. It doesn't fix anything.

A properly installed and operating fridge, converter, inverter, or whatever will NOT trip a GFCI outlet. I have all those and they work fine on GFCI.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It is not easy to explain; otherwise you would know the reason it will work on a non GFCI but trips a GFCI. You have a slightly bad electrical heating element on the water heater or refrigerator. The heating element filament will expand on short out somewhere in the middle of the element and not trip a main breaker but due to the current leakage it will trip a GFCI and it may not even have to be turned on for it to do this. I guarantee if you completely isolate the 120 volt circuit; including the neutral, it will not trip the GFCI on one of these circuits.

2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

x 3 or whatever on what mel s said.
Back in the early 90's I had a 1992 travel trailer that I had bought new. I had used it a number of time without any issues. I stopped at Oscar Sherer state park in Nokomis Florida, where they had GFCI at the pedestal. I plugged in and immediately popped the circuit breaker. I had a ranger come out and check the park power, since I had a nearly new TT and doubted the problem was with my trailer. Of course the park power was fine. I ended up running an extension from the frig to the pedestal so we at least had a working frig for the night. The next day after getting home we turned all the circuit breakers off, plugged in to 120volt, then turned on circuit breakers one at a time. When we plugged in the air conditioner it popped the circuit breaker. We took off the interior unit and discovered a bare spot on a wire that was shorting out against a piece of metal on the unit. It had to have come from the manufacturer like that, since I was the original owner and never had taken the piece off before.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

The gfi is doing its job so do yours.

First check with ohm meter resistance between safety ground and neutral at your plug with it unplugged of course.

Common fault is bonding safety ground to neutral in the load center.

Next as above turn off all breakers and test by turning on one at a time.

Consider fixing this a very high priority.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks All
Found the problem! It is the engine heater. Once I unplugged it no more problems.

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks All
Found the problem! It is the engine heater. Once I unplugged it no more problems.

Thanks for all the help
Your block heater is on all the time your Coach is plugged in?

Tags
electrical