Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Electrical Issue

We are brand-spanking-new RVer's. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 National Sea View 8340 Class A motorhome. We were just sitting in it because we couldn't go anywhere yet! We had the generator running with both A/C's going and the TV, but nothing else. All of the sudden the generator shut off and everything died. I thought it had reached the minimum gas tank level so I didn't think too much more.
The following week we went back. I started the generator with the push of the button. No problem! We started one A/C and turned on the TV. After about 20 minutes, the A/C and the TV both shut off, but the generator was still running. We checked the breakers and all were still good. I have no experience what so ever, so I was wondering if there are any ideas out there before I drive it all the way back to dealer (85 miles). Thanks

BlugrasTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Fuel below about 1/4 of the tank will shut down the generator. A water temp sender and a low oil sender will also shut down the generator as a form of damage protection.

Are all liquid levels acceptable?

It sounds like two separate events. One in which the generator itself shut down and the other where the power produced turned off but the generator kept on running.

Since the AC and TV would be on separate circuits, the second shutdown probably occurred at the generator.

Did you check the breaker on the generator?

It is possible that you cannot run two AC units plus a battery charger and maybe an electric water heater or refrigerator all at the same time on your rig .

Or perhaps your house batteries were low and the battery charger plus the AC unit overloaded the generator and caused the breaker to flip.

Did you shut the genset down and restart it on the second event? If so, did the 110v power come back on?

If not a status or overload problem, the generator itself might have an issue. If you have some warranty, take it back to the Dealer.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Electrical Issue

Thanks for the reply. Being "Newbies" it is helpful having experienced RVer's willing to share advice.
When the first shutdown occurred I assumed it was low fuel. However, when it fired back up yesterday, I realized that the fuel level was not low. I then turned on the one A/C and the TV. I guess the batteries were also charging. That is all that we had on. No water heater, fridge or lights. When the power went out, I just let the generator run a bit for cool down then shut it down.
We checked the breakers inside the coach, but I didn't know there was one at the generator.
Guess I will take it in for a generator service and see if all is well there.
BlugrasTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A generator will shut down due to low fuel (needs at the minimum 1/4 tank, That is so you have enough fuel left to get to the re-fule station) or due to Low oil, or due to several perceived issues with the engine or generator.. Some ONAN's for example will shut down if they detect on 120vac out.

The shutdown does not, necessarly, indicate a major problem... Check fuel and oil first and if they are good, and the rig is new.. See if it will do it at the dealer's.

Of course Murphy's laws say it will work perfectly for 24 hours running at the dealer's no problem at all.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote