Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

electrical problem

This is jimdon on the road, We are in Sleepy Bear, north carolina. My problem is. We have a Winnebago Sightseer. Last night we plugged in additional heater
It. Both heater stopped working, Also 2 tv's turned off. Checked and reset circuit breakers nothing worked. Anybody out there have any ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check your gfis. I can't remember where mine were at in my Sightseer. I think one was actually on an outlet near the entrance. Look at all your outlets very closely for the little reset button. Could be in the bathroom, maybe in a cupboard above the sink.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

We checked all that, also we have bathroom reset on the wall plug. nothing work. We are still looking for anything.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

GFI circuit breakers only pop when there is an unbalanced circuit secsed and not because of an overload. I would find your inverter and check the circuit breaker on it and also turn the inverter off and turn it back on. You probably need to find an outlet that is not run off the inverter for the heater. This is a very common problem.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Does anything work that depends on 120 volts ac.Are all the outlets dead? Check with a hair dryer or a fan etc.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

All electric is working fine, except for 2 wall plugs and 2 tv's
Old 12-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

I would maybe check your inverter, when we overload sometimes, it trips the inverter, they are like white buttons, it works the tv and some wall plugs..just a thought..we like sleepy bear campground
good luck
Bill
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like you had both heater on the same fuse.
Or on the same side of the 2 50AMP lines.
Change them to different circuits when you find the fix.
Make sure none is running off a Inverter plug.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Can help but need to know:
1) Year/model of your coach
2) 30 amp or optional 50 amp shore power service
3) Do you have a inverter (i.e 300 Watt in cockpit overhead)

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your circuits (outlet circuits) are 15 amps if you are lucky 2 heaters is 24 amps. Add in a few other loads and if yours is a 30 amp rig you can take out the main breaker. (27 amps continuous may do it)

And if both of those heaters wound up on the same circuit breaker.. You can do damage to the wiring.. I hear foks say "Oh it can take it" but ... Well, my nose says otherwise and so do my eyes when I look over the damage.

One final item to check... I have a prosie 2.0, 2,000 watt inverter and when I plugged a heater into one of the outlets it served I found that when I re-installed it, following a warranty replacement, I did a PPP job of hooking up one of the wires (That a poor job). And the wire nut burned off and the wires were kind of like ... Well, Wi....re (Gap between them) I cleaned and re-dressed the wires, put on a new nut, and all has been peachy since, save when wife plugs in a few too many things and click goes a breaker.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Can help but need to know:
1) Year/model of your coach
2) 30 amp or optional 50 amp shore power service
3) Do you have a inverter (i.e 300 Watt in cockpit overhead)

Dave
We have a 2011 Winnebago Sightseer with 50 amp service. We are at Sleepy Bear, in Lumberton North Carolina. Only two plugs are affected, plus two tv's.
we have a xantrex built in inverter. The inverter was turned off. The problem is we are hooked up to a 30 amp service not 50amp service. I have reset all breakers. We are new to motorhomes, we have made a lot of mistakes. We are learning fast.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdon View Post
We have a 2011 Winnebago Sightseer with 50 amp service. We are at Sleepy Bear, in Lumberton North Carolina. Only two plugs are affected, plus two tv's.
we have a xantrex built in inverter. The inverter was turned off. The problem is we are hooked up to a 30 amp service not 50amp service. I have reset all breakers. We are new to motorhomes, we have made a lot of mistakes. We are learning fast.
If everything was working until you turned on the 2nd heater, then you could have fried a breaker. Even though it trips, the contacts could be fried. Do a continuity test across the affected breaker(s). Your problem could also be in the transfer switch, that switches between shore power and generator, contactor could be fried. Also if you have a power cord reel, contacts there could be bad.
Might try unplugging shore power and plugging back in. Also while unplugged, run genset and see what you have.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #13

Check your 30 to 50 amp adapter...
Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #14

Since you checked all breaker it still sounds like a gfi. Did you reset all, you may even have one in a outside bay.When you checked breakers did you turn them off and back on just to double check.

Tags
electrical