Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #15

I Emailed Progressive Industry's about using a GFCI outlet if I had a built in or portable Surge Guard.

Subject*GFCI

o****Message*Will your surge protector trip a GFCI outlet if I reduce to a 15 amp plug and plug it in ?

·*********Sent on:*26 March, 2018

There response was vague but makes me think that it may trip the GFCI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-03-27-09-43-45.png
Views:	87
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	196946  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I Emailed Progressive Industry's about using a GFCI outlet if I had a built in or portable Surge Guard.

Subject*GFCI

o****Message*Will your surge protector trip a GFCI outlet if I reduce to a 15 amp plug and plug it in ?

·*********Sent on:*26 March, 2018

There response was vague but makes me think that it may trip the GFCI.

Now that’s how a politician answers a question!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
GFCI will not work supplying power to your RV. Nothing is wrong with the GFCI or your unit. The only thing that I figured out is the GFCI uses earth ground and the RV is on rubber tires so no earth ground.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Twice I've plugged into GFCI circuits, a 15A and 30A. My internal surge guard trips the house or post GFCI.
I just avoid them now.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
RV plugged into a some GFCI outlet is often problematic due to neutral and ground bonding difference from residential. However its strange that it works ok until the RR is activated. Might be interesting to see if the GFCI trips with the RR plugged directly into it.
Actually I didnt test it with the mh plugged in and the res refrig running or not. I just plugged it iin and the circuit blew. I then just ran an extension cord to the res refrig to keep it running and that worked fine.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The difference between the GFCI and non-GFCi outlet is simply that the non-GFCI doesn't detect the problem. It didn't go away - it just isn't visible. 30A or 50A park power outlets don't have GFCI protection, so you won't see the problem there either. Everything still works, but there is a potential safety problem and you may experience a shock (or worse) at some point in the future.

You have a ground fault somewhere in the RV wiring, meaning that current that is supposed to be going from the hot wire to the neutral wire is somehow escaping, either directly into the ground wire or through the coach frame or body into the ground (the coach chassis is connected to the ground wire just for that reason).

There are two fairly common sources of a ground fault in an RV:
1. The AC electric mode heater in an RV fridge sometimes develops enough corrosion to allow a tiny trickle of current to flow to the surrounding metal. Since yours trips when you run the fridge, this one is a likely bet.

2. The converter/charger or inverter/charger can leak current if not wired exactly per factory specs.

Neither of those are likely to cause more than a slight tingle shock, but some of the less common ground faults can be severe or even fatal.

A third possibility is that a circuit was added or changed in the 120v load center (breaker box) and the neutral wire connected to the ground bus instead of the neutral bus, or the neutral & ground buses were cross-connected (aka bonded). That will appear as a ground fault at the shoreline connection.
As stated, I dont have an RV fridge, I have a residential frig.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #21

Don't know whether this is normal or not (I doubt it) or if it has anything to do with other problem: But while ,playing around in battery compartment discovered that there was voltage between house battery ( i of 4) (neg term) and a sheet metal shield that was between compartments. Since the sheet metal was basically attached to the frame that would probablymean that there would be voltage between battery (neg term) and frame BUT there doesnt seem to be. See picture below
Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Don't know whether this is normal or not (I doubt it) or if it has anything to do with other problem: But while ,playing around in battery compartment discovered that there was voltage between house battery ( i of 4) (neg term) and a sheet metal shield that was between compartments. Since the sheet metal was basically attached to the frame that would probablymean that there would be voltage between battery (neg term) and frame BUT there doesnt seem to be. See picture below
OK picture didnt come through, lets try it a different way:
Old 04-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #23

If you have voltage from the battery neg. to the shield, but not to the frame, then, clearly, the shield is not electrically connected to the frame. What do you measure between the shield and the frame?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #24

You may be testing the negative of a battery that jumps to positive of the next one in the series set.

Measuring between the 2, 6 volt batteries.

What you are seeing is the positive of the other end of the jumper to ground = 6.85 volts.

Normal
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may be testing the negative of a battery that jumps to positive of the next one in the series set.

Measuring between the 2, 6 volt batteries.

What you are seeing is the positive of the other end of the jumper to ground = 6.85 volts.

Normal

You are absolutely right, cross that one off. I wonder why there is no reading to the frame (ground) or am I showing my ignorance?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
If you have voltage from the battery neg. to the shield, but not to the frame, then, clearly, the shield is not electrically connected to the frame. What do you measure between the shield and the frame?

Joel

I wii test that and get back to you. Thanks everyone!

Tags
electric, electrical