Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Question Electrical Problems

Hi, People. New here. I just purchased a 1996 Fleetwood Montara on a Ford E350. The ABS light comes on after a few miles of driving and stays on. The directional lights and 4-way flashers keep blowing their 15 amp fuse. I've replaced the flasher and checked the light sockets for bare wires. It acts like a ground or a short, I think. How do I find the problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I've tried everything I can think of.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Don and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I would suspect the tun signal assmy or wiring in the steering colum. Might need someone to scan the CPU for the ABS issue.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can try to reset it. Then , if it comes back on, you have a problem that needs further investigation.

To reset it, turn your key on but not started. While the key is on, disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. This will reset it and your radio channels too.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

For the signal fuse issue, I would take a light and crawl under the back of the M/H and start looking at all of the wires back there. There should be a plug or junction box, where the chassis wires tie into the M/H light wires, along with a trailer light wire connection. Look for any scraped, bare or pinched wires. Check for corrosion in the trailer plug, if there is one. Knowing if the fuse blows on right of left turns, could help narrow it down.

If you had any work done under the MH ( gas tank, muffler, shocks ) look there. Wires are a PITA to us mechanics and just get in the way.

If it had any recent brake work, it could be a wheel sensor out of adjustment, causing the ABS light.

Good Luck
Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Just guessing here but the directionals and the emergency flashers are slightly different paths so that might eliminate the turn lever.

I've heard that some of the older bulbs could basically weld themself together creating a short. I've seen relays do this for sure. You could try removing the bulbs and replacing one at a time while trying to duplicate. Do you have the chassis schematics?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Those are both symptoms of broken or shorted wires. The ABS light typically means the wires to a wheel sensor have been pulled loose or corroded, and the shorted lights suggest a broken wire that is touching the chassis. My guess would be that something damaged the wires in one corner, probably rear.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Retread Rver......For the ABS, the Ford E350 used a sensor that plugged into the top of the rear end (pumpkin). If you crawl under the coach and look at the top of the rear end, from the back of the rear end, there should be a sensor with a wire attached. They're easily replaced and do go bad.

The first place I would check for your turn signal issue is to take the trailer plug apart at the rear of the coach. Often the wires pull out or get twisted and short out. Mark the location (color code) of each wire and disconnect from the plug. Once they're disconnected, see if you still blow fuses.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

Hi, All. Home at last with a little time. Thank you for your ideas.

I crawled under the entire unit, and found no pinched or frayed wires. I checked all the light sockets, pulled the bulbs out, reinserted them. While they were apart, I left the vehicle running w/the lights flashing to see if it would blow when put back together. Nothing happened. After I got it back together, I went into the cab and turned the left signal off, then on again, and it blew the fuse. The problem seems to be on the left side and when it heats up rather than turning or hitting a bump. Anyone with any thoughts, please?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Don,

There should be a plug connection where the steering column wiring exits the steering column. You can use that connection to begin isolating the problem with the turn signals/flashers. If you have a wiring diagram, locate the "hot wire" that provides 12 volts to the steering column. Then jumper that wire to the wires, per the wiring diagram, that light the front and rear turn signal bulbs. A lit bulb equals ok wiring from the plug to the bulb. A blown fuse will tell you the wiring has a short between the plug and the bulb. If all check ok, the problem is in the steering column wiring,flasher or the turn signal switch. If you don't have a wiring diagram, use the color coding at the bulbs to identify the wires at the plug. The color coding is typically the same. IF the color coding isn't the same, you'll need to find a schematic that identifies the wires as there are probably other wires (such as wipers, bright lights, etc) connected through the plug and you might damage them if you put 12 volts to them.

Let us know the result of testing at the plug, and we can go from there.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #10

The signal lights work until they don't - maybe 10 minutes of running time. It seems like something gets hot and blows the fuse. Would you think it could be a defective bulb that heats up and blows the fuse?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #11

Thinking this through, it seems that there's a short somewhere, but it doesn't short out immediately. When the vehicle warms up with the signal light on (maybe 10 minutes) that's when it blows the fuse. Just to clarify, I run the vehicle with the directional on. After a period of time, I turn the directional off, then back on and that's when it blows the fuse. I need to run down the street to buy more fuses, because I've gone through my last pack right now.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Do you have turn signals in the side view mirrors?
Do the wires run under the floor mat, where your feet touch while turning on the signal?
Did you notice any rust on the cab mounts, letting the cab pinch some wires?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Don,

You can get a circuit breaker to replace the blade fuse. They are a few bucks and will save you from going through fuses while your chasing the problem.

Is the flasher hot after 10 minutes? Could be it's drawing too much current and the initial draw when you "hit" the turn signal again is blowing the fuse. You might want to jumper past the flasher and see if the fuse blows.

Jim
Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #14

I have had problems over the years with mulifunction switches. Check the flasher switch and the turn signal switches. Check flasher and, if wired, the relay. Try using a heat gun to isolate the short if a connection is suspected.
-Paul R. Haller-

Tags
electrical