Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's discuss the topic without discussing each other. Our Community a Rules do not permit this between members.
Thanks, Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #16

My thought is it will be OK unless you both need to run air conditioners. Then as mentioned above the amperage may cause problems.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it is a modern and properly wired site, it should be a 100 amp service to it.

The electric code shouldn't allow 3 breakers, that add up to 100 amps, hooked to a wire not capable of carrying it.

What's out there is a totally different thing. Maybe the campground operator can tell you.
Really not true.
Quote NEC section.
42 year, retired IBEW
I hate it when people spout about something the know nothing about.
Look at any typical residential panel and add up the breakers, it will be a lot more than the rated main breaker.
You never use full capacity.

How many of you have ever taken a NEC code class let alone any rely experience in the Trade????
Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #18

geez .... Twinboat has the right answer... if the 20, 30 and 50 amp breakers and female plugs are wired correctly they have to be supplied by a 100 amp breaker and corresponding wiring.... this is nothing more or less than a sub panel off a main panel... of course, the park might have just a 50 amp service, expecting you to choose between one of the 3...
Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #19

Actually it is not treated as a sub off a main. It is a main the way you are thinking because it is supposed to have neutral and ground bonded and a ground rod. The RV panel is a sub panel.

Anyone who has looked at how public utility companies provision power or telco services would know that one does not add up the potential usage by counting outlets. They add up the expected loads then factor in a usage model to reduce that number to something less than full usage. As an example a 10 unit park wired with ten 80 Amp boxes (that is how they are termed) would be assumed to use maybe 5 50 amp and 5 30 amp services or 400 Amp total. Then there would be an assumption of say 80% peak usage or 320 Amp supply and the feed sized accordingly. In fact they may also assume a reduction on the use per site as well as another one with a lower occupancy. That probably why a lot of places have power problems for the couple of peak holiday weekends. Ditto crowded telco services telling you a line is not available be it wired or wireless.

This kind of reasoning goes back to when Edison first started selling power in the latter half of the 1800's. It may go back farther in another guise. It significantly alters the number of customers that can be serviced adequately with a given size plant.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
geez .... Twinboat has the right answer... if the 20, 30 and 50 amp breakers and female plugs are wired correctly they have to be supplied by a 100 amp breaker and corresponding wiring.... this is nothing more or less than a sub panel off a main panel... of course, the park might have just a 50 amp service, expecting you to choose between one of the 3...
I would think the max sized breaker would only need to be 80 amps if all 3 outlets are used at once. The cable coming from the main panel only needs to be sized for 80 amps. One conductor would carry a 50 plus 20 amp load. The other conductor would carry the 50 plus 30 amp load. You could have a max of 70A on one hot load and 80A on the other hot side.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it is a modern and properly wired site, it should be a 100 amp service to it.

The electric code shouldn't allow 3 breakers, that add up to 100 amps, hooked to a wire not capable of carrying it.

What's out there is a totally different thing. Maybe the campground operator can tell you.

Actually, the Eaton unmetered box we just ordered is what many campgrounds use for single RV sites. It has a 50 amp RV plug, a 30 amp RV plug, and a 20 amp GFCI standard plug. Box rated for 50 amp maximum draw, and requires 50 amp wiring with disconnect. Bought, installed, and inspected by our county Electrical Inspector. See below:

Eaton Power Outlet Panel - Unmetered-CHU1N7N4NS - The Home Depot

Home depot doesn't actually have them, I had to purchase elsewhere, but their site gives the specs.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #22

I'll concede to the experts but if it's wired to a 50 amp breaker at the main and I am drawing 45 amps on the 50 amp outlet and plug in my 15 amp electric grill, out at the pedestal, what purpose would the 3 individual breakers serve.

I now have to find the CG owner and the shed sized panel to reset the tripped breaker.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #23

If you are drawing 45 Amps and plug in 15 more you will pop the breaker. That is why it is there. That is also the intent of the setup. It is designed and provisioned to supply one of the three sockets at a time. The intent is to supply a large RV, or a small RV or a tent camper.

FWIW you will probably seldom if ever draw 45 amps on one leg of a properly installed 50 Amp setup. Maybe with 3 A/C's running while doing laundry in a stacked washer and dryer, low battery charge and somebody hitting the hair dryer while the microwave heats a cup of water for some tea right after a shower. ;-)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you are drawing 45 Amps and plug in 15 more you will pop the breaker. That is why it is there. That is also the intent of the setup. It is designed and provisioned to supply one of the three sockets at a time. The intent is to supply a large RV, or a small RV or a tent camper.
You missed the point here. The panel has, as many do, a 50, a 30, and a 20 amp breaker. I don't believe the 20 and 30 are run off the 50.

I have used these panels and only needed the 30 amp breaker on. The 50 was off and I had power.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #25

They do not need the 50 on at the box. They are provisioned for 50 with the wiring. The 30 and 20 are off the 240 split phase bus. As has been pointed out one does not need to supply the total current of the breaker capacity of the box. OTOH one should put a breaker at the source end of the feed cable. The cable will probably be a #6 protected at the feed with a 50 Amp breaker.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #26

I am not sure if they are or are not. The point is the box will probably be provisioned with #6 wire protected at the feed end with something between a 50 and 60 Amp breaker. Depending on the source one can get 50, 55, and 60 Amp rated breakers and the wire will handle that safely depending on conductor type and insulation. Provisoning for more power would add significantly to the cost of the wire for a marginal improvement for the end user. In fact it would be a benefit for the park as it would keep usage from exceeding their expectations.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
If I park 2rvs on one site and plug into both the 50 amp and the 30 amp will there be any issues. Don't know how much comes to the site supply box. I want to camp with my sister but they only have room for me to plug in with them on their post
Terryshirley
I don't think it's possible to know whether or not there will be issues with that particular shore power hookup in that particular site unless/until you try it.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #28

The small breakers in the sub panel or pedestal are there per NEC as they protect the circuits they serve based on capacity.

A 50 add me breaker may serve or protect the pedestal but the smaller circuits of 30 and 15 or 20 amp are both 120 vac not 240 vac and also smaller capacity so a single pole breaker for each per the circuit design.

Tags
electrical