Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Electrical supply

If I park 2rvs on one site and plug into both the 50 amp and the 30 amp will there be any issues. Don't know how much comes to the site supply box. I want to camp with my sister but they only have room for me to plug in with them on their post

Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
I would assume the park wiring is provisioned for the 50 Amp service and the 30 rides on the 50. No normal setup will need both on one site. That would indicate a problem. For those who do not know parks are not provisioned for 100% power usage by all the sites. You would be exceeding a normal site.

If I ran the park you would have another problem in that your sister is paying for electricity for her unit, not yours and hers. There may also be a legal issue over multiple RV's on the same site.

In short I would expect both power and legal problems.

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
If it is a modern and properly wired site, it should be a 100 amp service to it.

The electric code shouldn't allow 3 breakers, that add up to 100 amps, hooked to a wire not capable of carrying it.

What's out there is a totally different thing. Maybe the campground operator can tell you.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Technically. The max total capacity should be assumed to be that of the 50a service, as there would be no reason to have provisioned for the usage of both the 50a and 30a simultaneously. So, as long as you both manage your loads accordingly it should be ok to plug into both.

Non-technical. If the CG is ok with this usage is up to you to determine.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Will the park let you put two RVs on one site ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
It is not a park... It is a private campground. I was told I could do that. I wanted to make sure. I am not staying on my sister's fee i have to pay the nightly rate. Sounds like I was being judged. I do know what's right and what's wrong. Thanks for the positive feed back
Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
We are all judged by others all the time. The point was that there was a judgement call there. You asked and it's OK. Still think you will be limited to a 50 Amp split phase source.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The total max power available is the same as the 50A max, which is two circuits of 50A/120v each. That 30A outlet is using one of the two 50A wires that feed the 50A outlet. If the rig plugged to the 50A outlet is using all of it, there is nothing left for the 30A outlet. And if the rig plugged to the 30A is using all 30, the 50A is going to have less than 50x2 available.

So yes, you can plug into both. Whether there is enough for both rigs needs is impossible to know until you start turning things on.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Cautionary note: The 30 amp unit will be OK.
The 50 amp unit may have problems however. The leg shared with the 30 amp connection will not share the 50 amp common lead. this can lead to higher or lower voltage on the two 50 amp legs. (it happened to me once and this is my theory)

Have a nice day - Darrel
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone is guessing. Just ask the park owner for an answer. He should (better) know how his park is wired at each pedestal.
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're paying for a site, why don't you have your own power post?
2016 Thor Hurricane 27K, CHF so far, 2008 HHR TOAD
Jake & Mary Ann (SWMBO), Bonnie & Clyde (Mostly Chihuahua's)
Smelling the roses, tasting the wine, and now chasing the rainbow (RVM141)
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Retired-Jake View Post
If you're paying for a site, why don't you have your own power post?
The OP said they didn't have a site for him.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Yes, no, heck no and sure why not...

We cannot answer as we have no clue how it is wired.

Can assume to code but that can vary widely.

It could have a 50 amp breaker supporting the 50 amp outlet and it could also have a 30 amp breaker supporting the 30 amp outlet.

The 50 amp is a 240 vac and 30 is 120 vac.

Per code the 30 amp should be on a seperate single breaker and depending on too many variables it could have a pedestal that contains those breakers configured as a sub panel from the main distribution panel.

That panel breaker is the limiting factor and it likely is a 50 amp breaker to the pedestal where it has breakers for outlets.

First ask cg management how pedestal is wired and ask to see breskers.

You can flip breakers and confirm with voltmeter.

General assumption is that both can be connected at the same time but both loads combine so limited to the 50 amps or 12000 watts total power.

You your ac units are likely one each on L1 and L2 and the 30 amp unit is on their L1.

You may need to use tricks to insure certian ac operates so both yours and theirs ate not both running on same main line Ln.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Nothermark I realize we are being judged. But having a little education, a little maturity and not jumping to conclusions is how ppl should be. You assumed I was not paying. You were wrong and the way you reacted was wrong too.. Enough said