Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Well, that experience is pretty mild on my "embarrassment scale". I do things BIG.

I was flushing the black tank..... why do so many embarrassing stories begin with that sentence?

I closed the dump valve and left the flush hose running to refill the tank for another flush. I got distracted and didn't remember it until I saw water running off of my awning!

No damage and it was the third rinse cycle so the water was pretty clear but it still ranks up there ahead of leaving my door awning out... satellite dish up... and oh year, leaving 40' of full body paint on that bridge railing on Cape Cod.

Hey Rick, lets start a club! I did that black tank rinse thing back a few years ago. Only difference was, I didn't see the water coming off the roof, I felt it> Sure glad I was not one of those who ran the solar wiring down the vent pipe and out through a drilled hole, into a closet or elsewhere. The boss would have drawn and quartered me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hey Rick, lets start a club! I did that black tank rinse thing back a few years ago. Only difference was, I didn't see the water coming off the roof, I felt it> Sure glad I was not one of those who ran the solar wiring down the vent pipe and out through a drilled hole, into a closet or elsewhere. The boss would have drawn and quartered me.
Dang Ray! I'm not even going to be in the top five!!!

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
as far as loud bangs and bumps

we were at home in our rv port. Been here awhile and i needed to roll her out about ten feet to clean the back and do some pre trip maintenance. 10 FEET mind you
so i lengthen the shore power cord, check
disconnect water check
disconnect sat ant, check
air up and suspension, check
retract jacks, check
put her in drive and roll out. well my ten feet and the planet alignment proved to be more like 20 feet
BANG the whole coach rolled to one side and then settled even
i stopped , out on the brake and ran out.

my rear duals had just run over my front set of wooden pads for the jacks. split the 6x6 blocks like a glass on the concrete. we had splintered wood everywhere.
normally at home we dont use them, but this period i had used them to gain some belly room
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! The cap on and the valve open trick. Ya'll haven't heard of the collapsible bucket, eh! I just wish I had one the first time, so here is what I did. Made sure the valve was closed. Got a nice piece of cardboard that I happened to have on hand. Made sort of a trough out of it. (The sort of got me) Placed a bucked under the end of the trough and slowly undid the cap and pulled just the bottom out to let the material slew down.

Did you know there is more than a gallon in that line? (It was a small bucket)

Now way back when we had the fiver the drain line was under the slide when it was extended. I had extended it before I hooked up the sewer line and my back was hurting. So I asked DW if she would help me by hooking up the sewer line. I explained how to remove the cap and put on the connector. She asked, "I'm not going to get anything on me, am I?" I replied "No!" I mean I never got anything on me when I did it.

Thank goodness it was only the gray tank that I had not closed the valve on. Needless to say, DW will not go near one of "those things."

I have more stories, but they are to embarrassing to relate.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Leaving the campground a few weeks ago in Colorado I felt something dragging as I was pulling out of the pad. I was sure I double checked everything. Well I stopped and went back to look and I seen these two tracks in the gravel and I immediately realized I forgot to put up the levelers haha. No damage done so it was a valuable mistake to remember to make up a checklist to keep on the dash of things to verify were done before putting in drive.
tacomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Bought a new Onan generator last year. After stopping at a rest area during a recent cross country trip, I pushed the START button, heard the familiar hum, waited for the transfer switch to activate, and started the roof air. 3 - 4 minutes later, the generator sputtered and stopped running. Rats. Tried the same thing an hour later with the same results, so made an appointment at the Cummins Onan service center in Sacramento. The tech asked if I used the prime function (holding STOP for a while before pushing START). I said no; that I never did this on the old, 13 year old, generator. He explained that fuel can run down the hose from the main gas tank, the generator fuel pump won't pump air, and it was just running until the fuel in the carburator float bowl was used up, about 3 - 4 minutes.

I went to pay the bill, was told my generator had a warranty, but there was nothing wrong with it; I just needed to use the prime function when starting. BTW, the flat rate at the service center was $129 / hour but they only charged me $70 for the advice.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Pulled out of a campground a few years ago. Just as I approached the highway I looked in the mirror to see this guy frantically waving his arms in the air while chasing me at full foot speed. I stopped and opened the window. The fellow was totally out of breath while trying to tell me in broken English that I was dragging my power cord. I had actually somehow become distracted and totally forgot to unplug. Had to do some repairs on my cord but thankfully the campground electrical box was a tough one! No damage and lucky for me.
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Instead of trying to remember everything just remember "One last walk around" and don't feel alone either !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
iRV2 No Limits Club
After RV'ing since 1957 I can say I've never done that stuff!!

Lets see, drove through downtown Seattle on I-5 with the antenna up. Now when I put it up I hang the ignition keys from it!
Had a "friend" in our old RV club that opened my black tank valve twice. I found it both times before I took the cap off. The club finally got wise and kicked him out!
Going out of Anderson's Split Pea soup emporium the very low front end smacked the pavement on one of those California drainage dips, need to get a fiberglass kit and fix it!
Backed over the 50 amp service pole in our favorite campground. They had to call in an electrician to fix it although ours wasn't the only one needing it.
Winterized the MH, opened the faucets to drain them. Went to fill the tank in the spring. Closed all the faucets except the one in the mini tub. Caught it just AFTER it had started running over the side!
Then there was the awning in Fresno CA. Had the main awning out, it started raining HARD. Ran out to take it in but was too late. Lots of water in the bulge, tried to lift it and let it drain, no go. Got the bright idea to release the arms. That broke the 21' roller tube and sent the arms into the MH's side. Insurance paid the over $4,000 bill for the awning and body damage.
That's enough for now!!
Well, one more: did the black tank rinse up the roof vent thing too!!

Do I win or should I continue?
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #24

Yup... the older get... the dumber I get! Here's just a few of those embarrassing goofs.

1) drove off with the door awning extended? yup, but was waved down before getting up to launch speed

2) drove off with the Wingard Trav'ler extended? yup, but was saved again before hitting the street

3) connected the sewer hose to the dump station at a State Park to dump my very full black tank and then pulled the handle. The hose jumped (as they do) and I thought I would "realign" to help straighten the flow....... big mistake! The tank end of the hose twisted loose from the connector and all "you know what" let loose in a BIG hurry Panic set in and it seemed like an eternity until I could close the tank valve. Yikes... fortunately there was a nice large concrete pad which was pitched towards the dump drain and a water hose to wash down the pad. Well, just about all the runaway effluent stayed either on the pad or on me Loooooong drive home!

Like Wayne said... the other stories may be too embarrassing

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dumped our black tank as we were leaving the campground for the ride home. We actually forgot to close the valve after dumping. Used the facilities numerous times on the ride home. Did not discover it until we got home, four hours later. Ugh, what a mess. Never did that again!!!
Penster, Williamsburg, VA: Me, Him, and Oliver the cat
2012 Bounder 35K aka "Big Red", 2 Suzuki Savage LS650's (1 for her, 1 for him).
Penster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've also done some of those same forgetful things.

Here's one that i didn't do but a friend did. He was traveling up into northern MI during the late fall. He turned off the main road and was going to turn on to a less traveled highway. He saw that there was a low electrical line of some sorts. He checked and did clear it. When he was heading home a few days later he didn't need to stop and check because he had already done that before. What he didn't consider was the fact that since it had snowed the snow plow piled snow at the entrance and his AC cleaned off the wire that he had previously not touched. That's one that most of us would also not think about.

We stopped once for a potty break. While I had the time I cleaned the windshield. Got in, took off and drove over the stool that I used to get to the windshield. didn't realize I had done it until the next time I needed the stool.

Traveled about 40 miles through very windy hilly, tree covered 2-lane roads with the TV antenna up. Didn't hit a single branch. Sure love the new Jack TV antenna with it's low profile and no up and down stuff anymore.

On our last trip to FL the GPS took us through downtown Mobil AL. The streets were narrow and the traffic was very bad. We had the TT then. We got to a point where we saw a sign that said," Low clearance Ahead 12' " I looked at the DW but had no choice. The sign is so close to the entrance to the tunnel you can't turn around. I really was not sure if we would clear it or not. We did but the next time the GPS says go here we won't.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
My cousin asked me to help him get is portable generator started. It seems he has had this behemoth of a gas generator for nearly 13 years, and has never been able to get it to start. So I go into the garage and look at it. First thing I see is a yellow tag that says "Unit is not shipped with oil, fill oil before attempting to use". I ask him if he put oil in it, get a blank look. We go get a quart of oil, put it in, he yanks the starter and it starts right up. Runs a little rough, considering its been sitting in his garage for 13 years, but I adjusted the idle and it then ran fine. I thought maybe it was better to not say anymore to him about it.
We all get heavier as we get older,
because there's a lot more information in our heads..
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
Great thread!

So being the handy man I was I tried to figure out why the new RV suddenly had no water pressure. I figured the pump must be bad. Amazon had a cheap replacement so ordered and installed the new pump. Turned the water on and sat dumbfounded as the water still trickled out. Suddenly the little light bulb went on. Walked outside and turned the valve to City Fill and all was well.

At least the education was not too expensive...

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B : Workhorse P32 : 8.1L Vortec
USASightseer is offline   Reply With Quote