Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #29

Under "It couda been worse" dept. First time to dump the black tank, new to DP's, new to Itasca's. Three days out and we really need to empty the black tank. I read all about it and watched videos on the internet. Even had the clear section to verify all movement in the dump line. All lines were attached, distant head safely attached to the dump opening. I opened the black valve, it flowed 10 seconds, then nothing. Clear section full of poop and no movement. Now what? Luckily, neighbor watching all this said, "new to this?' Yep. "Winnie puts a deluxe hose on these rigs!" He went to the dump end and released the safety valve. All stuff went south. My next video will add this moment!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #30

Thank you all for these stories!!! It will make me feel MUCH better when I get my rig and start doing some of these same things. Altho, I'm sure I will be embarrassed to no end.......

Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #31

Add me to the list from an "event" yesterday...

Heading back south from Ocean View NJ, going through the tolls in Maryland... was watching my speed vs mirrors through the tight toll slot and smacked my passenger side mirror on the right side booth.

Very little damage considering... just popped off the the fish eye mirror at the bottom of the Mirror assembly.

Grrr....

Mal.
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
USASightseer,

That one can get you more than once. (Don't ask me how I know but one thing for sure I didn't change out the pump.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
First thing I see is a yellow tag that says "Unit is not shipped with oil, fill oil before attempting to use". I ask him if he put oil in it, get a blank look. We go get a quart of oil, put it in, he yanks the starter and it starts right up. Runs a little rough, considering its been sitting in his garage for 13 years, but I adjusted the idle and it then ran fine. I thought maybe it was better to not say anymore to him about it.
You are a very kind soul. I'm afraid I'd have been all over that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopygirl View Post
Thank you all for these stories!!! It will make me feel MUCH better when I get my rig and start doing some of these same things. Altho, I'm sure I will be embarrassed to no end.......
Plus... you'll get over the embarrassment and then learn to just laugh at yourself. I've found there's really no better solution.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
In a 95 Winnebago Adventurer 30WQ, you can leave the bathroom door open for a little extra room to change. You can stand so that you can't be seen out the passenger bedroom window. But did you know that the closet mirror across from the bathroom aligns perfectly to reflect the bathroom area out the DRIVER's side bedroom window? I did not know that....I do now...as do some campers in a nice campground in Ontario. :-/
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #35

As Jeff Foxworthy says, here's my sign![/QUOTE]

That would be Bill Engvall. Lol.
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post

It's a "sophie's choice" moment. I actually waited until my neighbors had left, closed the valve, bought some gloves at the store and tried my best to "capture" effluent in the hose whilst jamming it on.

Not my proudest moment.
Put a garbage bag over the dump cap as far up the drain pipe ad you can and release the cap. No mess. Everything is in captured in the bag.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #37

Thanks. I don't feel so crazy now. Pulling into the cg at canton Texas with a little 26 foot Jayco TT. Stopped at the attendant's booth to check in. Spoke to the kid (16-17yoa) and started on to assigned spot. The booth was a 4'x4' booth about 8 feet high but the top was angled up in the front and the tin roof was about 2 feet further out than the booth to form a rain shield. I didn't see that. My slide awning caught the top of the free-standing booth an spun it 360°. The boy was yelling and holding on to the walls. His eyes were big as moon pies. No damage to the booth and No injury. Ripped my awning tho. Took me an hour or so before I could laugh with my hysterical wife.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #38

My first camper was a old slide in pickup box camper. Sometimes I like to sleep in the buff. See where this is going?
My cousin had his wedding reception in his back yard. they have a corner lot. I parked in his side yard. After a night of parting I woke up at 9 am on a sunday morning with my cheeks pressed up against the front window above the cab. Wouldent have been so bad but the street they live on is down the street from the church and is very well traveled on Sunday mornings.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjc View Post
Put a garbage bag over the dump cap as far up the drain pipe ad you can and release the cap. No mess. Everything is in captured in the bag.

brilliant. *WHEN* I make this mistake again problem solved.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #40

I drove off a couple of weekends ago with my "batwing" antenna at full mast. Suddenly I heard a rhythmic "bang, bang, bang" on the roof. It sounded exactly like there was someone on the roof angrily banging for dear life. It was late at night and I was alone in the coach out in the boonies, so I nearly had to change my shorts. The plastic part that holds the antenna to the mast had broken, so the antenna was hanging by the cable and bouncing off of the roof.

Now I have a nice Jack antenna that works better anyway. :-)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased a Rexhall, American Clipper in Las vegas, ah, just the wife chopping celery or onionsNV. Made it off the lot without any problem. even made it to Flagstaff, AZ. then because we were going to be dry camping, boon docking for next few days I dumped all tanks. Then commenced to fill fresh water tank and sanitize. Was out side filling tank, wife inside prep vegies for refrig. I kept hearing a chopping like sound, just the sound of wife prepping. Suddenedley wife SCREAMS my name. Several times and she keeps on screaming. I run around to the front of MH, open the door and the floor had become PREGNANT! the floor had a budge about 2 feet high. Back and shut off the water. After screaming stops, water off I remove panels and the water tank at a over flow valve that was closed. Tank started filling, air had no place to go and tank started to budge up against the floor like an over filled balloon. released opened the valve and tank now is vented, floor is still pregnant. we drove all theway to OK city. Then went to Wally world, purchased 300 lbs of weights, set them into big plastic storage box over budge. finally my wife got on the box and was tring to make it rock like a rocking horse. thankfully we got the floor un budged as we entered Florida. Dumb Dumb Dumb
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #42

New Horizons Owners Club
Great thread, here is our contribution from today. Dumped the dishpan down the toilet this morning as usual, but missed a spoon that went down the toilet. We needed to dump and decided best course was to try to get the spoon out first to avoid a spoon jamming the black tank valve. Bought a pack of magnets at Lowes, added some nylon string and duct tape and had a fishing magnet. Caught that spoon on the third cast! I think I had a nibble on the second cast. We were able to dump immediately after the successful fishing expedition.