Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Embarrassing things that have happened

A couple of years ago, while traveling down the interstate through a construction zone, I heard a loud bang. I was sure I had a blowout on one of the rear wheels. Since there was no place to pull over, I put on the four-way flashers and limped on down the road for over 5 miles looking for a place to pull over. I got out of the coach and checked all my tires. They were all okay. I couldn't figure out what has happened. We chalked it up to a passing truck going the other way that might've had a blowout. When we got to our destination, my wife happened to look in the shower, and our giant bottle of shampoo had fallen onto the shower floor and that was what made a loud bang while we were driving.

As Jeff Foxworthy says, here's my sign!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
A couple of years ago, while traveling down the interstate through a construction zone, I heard a loud bang. I was sure I had a blowout on one of the rear wheels. Since there was no place to pull over, I put on the four-way flashers and limped on down the road for over 5 miles looking for a place to pull over. I got out of the coach and checked all my tires. They were all okay. I couldn't figure out what has happened. We chalked it up to a passing truck going the other way that might've had a blowout. When we got to our destination, my wife happened to look in the shower, and our giant bottle of shampoo had fallen onto the shower floor and that was what made a loud bang while we were driving.

As Jeff Foxworthy says, here's my sign!
That's Bill Engvall's schtick, but I get your point.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a bottle of shampoo do the same thing in a trailer I was pulling. When I got to my destination there was water running out the sides of the trailer.

I had left the water pump on and the bottle hit the faucet handle on the way down and turned on the water. Emptied my fresh water tank in the trailer.

First thing we check now is to make sure the water pump is turned off and nothing stored where it can fall in the shower.

Show me somebody who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you somebody who never does anything. Stuff happens!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that experience is pretty mild on my "embarrassment scale". I do things BIG.

I was flushing the black tank..... why do so many embarrassing stories begin with that sentence?

I closed the dump valve and left the flush hose running to refill the tank for another flush. I got distracted and didn't remember it until I saw water running off of my awning!

No damage and it was the third rinse cycle so the water was pretty clear but it still ranks up there ahead of leaving my door awning out... satellite dish up... and oh year, leaving 40' of full body paint on that bridge railing on Cape Cod.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

When you have been camping for a day or two and decide to dump your black tank and go back to hook up the hose, only to realize the valve isn't completely closed and the cap is on the end of the pipe. I know of no happy ending to this story.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
When you have been camping for a day or two and decide to dump your black tank and go back to hook up the hose, only to realize the valve isn't completely closed and the cap is on the end of the pipe. I know of no happy ending to this story.
OK... I'm relegated to second place in this contest. That had to be ugly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
It's a "sophie's choice" moment. I actually waited until my neighbors had left, closed the valve, bought some gloves at the store and tried my best to "capture" effluent in the hose whilst jamming it on.

Not my proudest moment.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
...and I thought I was the ONLY person that had ever happened to. The folks next door were just having lunch on their picnic table, right next to our dump connection. Sorry about that if it was one of you!!!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

I have never pulled a dingy behind my motor home. Recently, my wife and I decided to relocate to another RV park so I hooked up the Prius to the dingy and pulled out. After about 15 feet, I saw the dingy swing into the back of the motor home crushing the ladder and fender. I have the Kar Kaddy SS which requires a pin to be pulled to engage the self steering. I had pulled the wrong pin. Now that is embarrassing.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We just love black tank stories!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
We just love black tank stories!
As long as we're hearing them and not telling them.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
Heck, I can't even qualify to compete against this. However, I can verify that a Winegard TRAV'LER DIRECTV SLIMLINE SK-3005 really does withstand 70 MPH (+) winds. I road tested mine for almost 200 miles at this speed on I80 and it actually tracked that satellite the entire time according to my grandson's watching TV.

It seemed my grandson put it up after I completed my checklist and walk around so he could watch TV while we traveled.

Lucky it was I80 and no low bridges.

Worse part it that I had stopped three times in that distance and missed the fact that the dish was up.

I now use my departure checklist each time I stop and threw away my en-route checklist. I now check everything twice each time I stop.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Next door neighbor’s son and cousin opened and shut the black valve. At a new dump station in a campground I use. I started to remove the cap and knew I had a problem. SO I got everything ready and did the switch from cap to hose. I was quite proud of how little was spilled. Not much to clean up. THEN I realized the asphalt was graded away from the properly graded concrete around the hole. It took allot of water to fertilize the grass on the other side of the road.

Thank God no one was around.
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Parked at home between trips. Left BOTH doors open for several days - not sure how many. When I discovered open door birds flew out. They had time to build nest in open cabinet. DW still doesn't know.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote