Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

*Emergency* Lost 12v power on the road

Stopped in Ft. Stockton, TX (middle of nowhere) for the night and went to level the coach. Used the Auto button, driver's side was quite a bit lower so Power Gear really had to work. While it was adjusting for the low side, I felt it was straining a bit and all of sudden, the lights went out. I still have AC power but NO 12v power. I checked all the breakers and fuses that I am aware of and found no problems. Would anyone happen to have any suggestions? Wife and I were on our way to Quartzsite and would like to continue the journey. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Bryan ! when you say no power,do you mean to the power gear system or all 12 volts the coach?
Will try to help I have a different brand coach.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you check the breakers on you inverter? I had a similar thing and that was the cause. I did not know there were breakers on the inverter before that. They wer covered by wiring and not visible without moving the wires.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Break out the owners manual and make sure you have found all of the 12v fuses and breakers. Can you start your generator? If you can then your 12v side of it works, it may be the other side of the system then.
First I wouldmove the MH to a more level place and see what happens then.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #5

One thing for sure is that the 12 volt power for the jacks most likely does not go through the inverter. Just to aide in troubleshooting ...if you hit the AUX BOOST start switch on the dash will any of the 12 volt lights come back on? If they do then you know the problem is between the house batteries and where that AUX BOOST RELAY is. Running those Power GEar jacks was probably sucking a lot of amps. I would first check all the battery connections on the House battery both positiive and neagtive and make sure they are clean and tight at both ends. Do not forget the negative cable where it attaches to ground. Then check the battery disconnect switch that the cables are tight. Turn the switch on and off a few times. Rather than just throw things at you first check all that then get back to us.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Which 2v system is out, house or coach?
As Mike suggested, does the boost switch do anything?

Your HR is probably wired very similar to Mike's and my Monaco's, so help is here but we need more info.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

Wow, sure do appreciate the prompt responses.....here goes!
1) NO 12v throughout the coach
2) have checked the Magnum inverter breakers and they were not tripped
3) Battery boost button seems to have no effect
4) No gen since I assume switch is 12v driven
5) checked battery cables last night and they are all good....but did not follow original ground. Will do that shortly.
6) I am pouring thru manuals for any fuses/breakers I may have overlooked

Unfortunately, I do not have my PowerGear manual as I was "studying" it a few months back at the house and must not have re-inserted it into the box. It is puzzling that I do not see a more hefty fuse anywhere for the jack motor. Would seem to me that one should exist. Only found 2 fuses that were related to the jacks 1) Jack/ANT warning & 2) Power Gear Jacks ..... and both were 5amp. These were listed in my large compartment, outside, under the drivers seat. I do not have a volt meter with me but am preparted to run to Wally World and get one. Yes, Ft. Stockton has a WW....shock. I'll keep piddling and will check back frequently for any additional thoughts you guys may have. Feel free to test me......thanks again for your interest and willingness to help. That is a nice level of comfort on the road. Bryan
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You should have one or two large fuses, maybe 100 amp or even 400 amp, between the batteries and the 12v power distribution system. Odds are one has blown or is corroded.

Could also be a failed battery disconnect relay.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #9

OK, again it cannot be your inverter because 12 v doesn't go through it to the rest of the coach.

Have you some way to measure the volts coming off the house batteries. Do you have a voltmeter in the MH or a portable voltmeter or a 12 volt test lamp that you can go from the positive battery post to ground?

Did you check the cables interconnecting the batteries? If one of those is loose you will loose all 12v.

I think that the AUX BOOST/START switch is powered by the house batteries and that is why it doesn't do anything.

To me the number one thing you need to know is if 12 volts is read on that positive battery post to ground or at the back of the battery disconnect switch to ground. It sure sounds like you have either totally lost a battery or a battery connection or a big inline fuse. How many house batteries do you have on your model?

On a Monaco the big cable comes off the battery and goes to the battery disconnect switch then goes int the Rear Run Box where there is the big fuse Gary is talking about.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked the "salesman switch" relay in the left front electrical bay. Be sure 12 volt power is on BOTH sides of the relay. If not, you will have the problems you describe. It is easliy by-passed by connecting the leads from both sides of the relay together.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

There are a number of self resiting circuit brakes through out the 12 volt wiring,but this does not fit the problem. With all 12 volt circuits dead,there has to be a problem in the primary supply circuit.
A bad cable lug in the coach battery area or one of the primary grounding points. This could be caused by corrosion in one or more of the battery cables degrading the current carrying ability and it could not hold up with the demand.
I have to lean in the direction of the main ground cables and grounding points.
You lost all 12 volts from the fuse panel inside the coach. and that panel is supplied by 2 somewhat smaller cables like 06 gauge. The jumper between the batteries are most likely 02 or 04 gauge cables.
The other possibility is the salesman Switch relay circuit has failed as mentioned. This would account for the total loose of 12 volt power to the control panels for the Power Gear system.
I can not remember seeing a fuse between the house batter circuit and the inside fuse panel.
I would look inside the Battery Control Circuit unit and related connections,fuses,relays and self resetting circuit barkers.
What Chassis is the Coach built on?
Dick.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #12

Did you check your chassis battery cables. My load center 12v control power for solenoids - for battery disconnects - are powered from chassis battery as well as my jacks. Check all battery grounds. I would remove the cables and hit them with a wire brush to make sure they are clean. Have you tried to start the generator with the switch on the generator?
rjdelapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #13

For got to ask it you still have chassis power to the marker lights,starter and headlights?
The power gear system main power is supplied by large cables from the battery banks with a resiting circuit barker in the line.
Dick.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

OK, I'm back in business....been checking all the points that you guys have suggested with no obvious problems. Reading the manuals for any nuggets previously overlooked. I went to the office to ask about any mobile services in the area (and of course none to speak of) and was directed to the cafe next door and met the owner of the park (Dwayne) who happened to have a Monaco Exec. He walked back to my coach and we looked at a few things, toggled a few switches and then while looking at the "electrical control center" outside, back passenger corner, he pointed to a 2" x 2" box and asked me why this was "off" ?? I didn't even know what it was but when he turned it to "on", it fixed everything. Seems it was the main breaker to the 12v system. Specifically it reads "120 amp, 48v DC Max. BUSS MRCB and is in between the House Cutoff switch and the Class T Inverter/Battery fuse. He said it would have tripped if the PowerGear motor would have overloaded. So I retracted my gear and put it back down and everything seemed to work fine. Guess I have some reading and studying to do and learn more about my coach. Never ending, huh?? I really want to thank you guys for advice, etc.....and hope I can extend the same courtesy someday. Have a great weekend......bryan

Tags
power