Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Emergency Road Service

Years ago when I bought my first motorhome, I came here to ask which RV emergency road service plan offered the best coverage/service. The overwhelming majority said Coach-Net, so that's the plan that I chose. I used the service once when I found that I had a flat at home while preparing for a trip. Coach-Net paid for the service call, but I had to pay for the actual flat repair. I was told that this was normal among road service plans.

It's time to renew my plan. Like many of you that subscribe to Motorhome Magazine, I saw a two page ad by the Good Sam road service plan. Now I know that Motorhome Magazine is owned by the same people that run Good Sam, but looking at the ad, it appears as though the G.S. plan may now offer better coverage than Coach-Net.

Any comments?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

We have used the Good Sams ERS plan for years. The only time we needed assistance was for a flat tire outisde of Chatanooga,TN on a Saturday at 12:00 noon. Good Sams found a facility 45 minutes away thet would come and helps us eventhough they were closing. Good Sams paid for everything including mounting our spare, etc. I was impressed they would go to the trouble of finding a facility that far away on a Saturday afternoon. Good Sams called us about every 15 minutes to check on us. Needless to say, we're still with them.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

I had Good Sam for several years, and never needed their services. After reading about not very good service, I switched to Coach Net. Since Marcus Lemonis has have taken over Good Sam, I rejoined Good Sam Roadside Assistance.. As a previous participant , they offered a Platinum Plan at a very reasonable price. For awhile, I will have both. I think Good Sam went through a rough patch, but recently they are going out of their way to win back customers. The way to do that is with good customer service. I am also impressed with their forum at http://www.rv.net/forum/ which they monitor for comments, etc.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #4

Just got done reading all the horror stories about GS on RV.net. You might want to check it out. CoachNet for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good Sam is trying hard to compete with and/or duplicate Coach-Net ...I choose Coach-Net.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

We have had and used both. For us, the GS service was fair to poor. Coach Net has been excellent. We stay with Coach Net.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We switched from GS to Coach-Net a few years ago when the GS/Affinity Group was having their financial problems. Used Coach-Net indirectly through Ford's warranty service and found them to do a good job. I read last year that Coach-Net has been merged with National Motor Club. I have no idea if that move is good or bad. Our renewal is up next year, so I'll probably revisit the whole picture in detail at that time.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

We have been using Coach-Net since 2000 and have been very pleased with them. Used them a couple of times over the years, once for a flat on our car up in Canada. Never had to front a penney to for them to change the tire for a mounted spare. I believe it is common for the owner to pay for any tire "repairs".
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had GS ERS and Coach-net. Whe have had success with both and had a bad experience with both. The more rural you are with a problem, the longer it will take to get a contracted service to you. On holiday weekends there are more RVs on the road and more calls for help as well.

Ken
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
we use Good Sam and had to use them once. The service, timing and follow up was excellent. They sent a qualified tow company, found a reliable repair company, and followed up to see that we were taken care of. I couldn't ask for more.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Sam has very recently upgraded it's offerings and it now includes things Coach Net doesn't. We're still with Coach Net but GS is even offering a rebate of unused Coach Net subscription if you switch. Not sure if I'll take them up on it though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
We have been using Coach-Net since 2000 and have been very pleased with them. Used them a couple of times over the years, once for a flat on our car up in Canada. Never had to front a penny to for them to change the tire for a mounted spare. I believe it is common for the owner to pay for any tire "repairs".
Repair costs are up to the owners Coach Net only pays for the tow if needed or putting your mounted spare on.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sams Warranty service

I just purchased my first MH in April. Unfortunately almost a month later I had a problem with the engine and had to use both the road side service and the Warranty service. Both fell flat on service. The Road Side Service people literally told me about 10:00 at night they were out of options and wished me good luck then hung up. I was only 20 miles from the second largest city in Fort Smith, Ar and literally only 45 miles from home. The warranty side of the house when I called them to report I would need warranty service did not have me in their system yet. When I finally got the MH repaired it had been about 35 days since I had purchased it. I still was not in the system and had to pay for the repair myself. When I called to get reimbursed I found that my repair claim had been disproved because I did not get pre-approval. That is the horror story of my experience now for the good part of my experience. Even though I had to leave my MH sitting alongside the road over night the dispatcher for emergency service the next day was able to get a mechanic to make emergency repairs and get me off of the road until the new parts I needed could be obtained. I was able to speak to the customer service department and I believe the claim issue will be resolved. The impressive thing about my experience happened this previous weekend. I was reading a camping world sales circular and there was a message from the Good Sams Club CEO Marcus Lemonis discussing their services and giving his email to use if you had any issues not resolved to their satisfaction. I sent him an email telling him I was not satisfied and why. I emailed him Sunday night, Monday morning I recieved a call from first the warranty department and then the Emergency Road Side Assistance department. Both of the managers who called me had excellent people skills and admitted up front that they had not given me good service and wanted to discuss with me what happened so they could fix the problem. I dont expect any organization to be perfect. I do however respect that they have a mechanism in place to respond to bad service and that when you use that mechanism they respond promptly. Hopefully what I told them will enable them to seal any cracks in the system that I might have fallen into and be able to do a better job for the next person in my situation.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

i have recently had the chance to use my allstate plan,twice in one weekend.frist time was when i needed towed,called allstate and got someone from india that i could'nt understand,she could'nt even find the route number i was stranded on.hung up on her and called my agent.i was told buy my agent that the best they could do was a hour and a half because their only tow truck was being worked on.had to arrange my own tow,was told by my agent that i would be reimbursed.still waiting!