Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
EMS Won't shed any loads

I have a Itellitec EMS system fitted in my Fleetwood Excursion 2008 (I think that's it's an 800 series) and I just realised that it has never worked ! The EMS lights up like a christmas tree when shore power is connected 20 / 30 amps and everything works but instead of the system shedding loads as it's supposed to. If it demands more than the 20 or 30 Amps it's set on it just turns everything off for a couple of seconds and then everything will come back on in the searching mode. After about 2 mins all of the loads will light up one by one. If I haven't turned one of the items off it will simply do the same all over again.

It does read the correct amperage being used and it works fine on the Genni.

If anyone can shed some light on this I very be very grateful.

Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Here is the service manual. http://www.intellitec.com/PDF/5300684.100.pdf

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
EMS Reset

Thank you for your reply, I do have a copy of the 900 system so thank you for the link to the 800 manual, as this is the one I really need.

I have spent 8 hours working on this and after turning off all of the 120v and 12v power together taking out the fuse on the EMS board. I then refitted the fuse and turned back on the 120v power with all appliances off. I then turned each of the controlled appliances on and after the amps had been registered off again.

After doing this for the first time in 2 years it actually worked. The only problem I now have is that when the air con cuts in, it sometimes rests the EMS system (power goes off for about 2 seconds) and then searches.
g
Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You might want to check the start up and running amperage of the air cond. and make certain all connections on distribution panel and EMS control board connections as well as the connections on the AC itself. Let me know what you find.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
EMS Update:

Thank you for your post, please see below the message I sent to Intellitec.

I purchased a new (in 2008) Fleetwood Excursion from Camping world in April 08 which is fitted with a EMS 900. This has always so I thought worked as it has always displayed the amps being used and when the Generator is on that part also works fine.

My problem is (and has always been) that if I have a 20amp or 30 amp supply and I have the Air con running (approx 10 amps) as soon as another load comes in and the EMS goes part the designated voltage the EMS shuts down and then restarts after a couple of seconds. After doing some extension testing I can report the following.

The reset problem only occurs when ever either of the the Air con start and this doesn't happen when the Generator is running.

I can now also confirm that the load shedding does actually work, providing the air con isn't running.

Todays test with the air con running did actually turn of the loads including the Air con and then it reset, so back to the drawing board !

Some thing you should now that may help.

Because I now live in europe, the power to the RV is supplied via a voltage frequency convertor that drops the EU voltage from 240v 50 hz down to a very stable 120v 60Hz
Both legs receive 120v but from the same supply. Could it be the size of cable (2.5mm) used? Should there be a separate cable from the Voltage convertor to each of the Line feeds?

This appears to be either an overload problem (which i doubt) or a under voltage. I have noticed that the supply in is stable during this reset. so it os definitely a EMS issue

I would rely appreciate your help with this

Many thanks

Glenn Tomkins
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

Speaking of manuals.. Ive been using the chilton auto repair manuals for the repairs. But ive heard that haynes is a lot better too..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too had a devil of a time with my Intellitec although it's a older model. The OEM had wired the A/C through one of the 120 volt relays instead of just wiring the compressor through the 24 volt relay side. The A/C was also wired through the relay that caused the entire circuit to shut down. There is a shed order that is to some extent is selectable by the owner. Whatever sheds first should not be the one relay that provides power through the relays for the EMS unit Search on my name for some posts on this. If you need more detailed info PM me since phone calls appear not to be an option.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I e mailed and called Intellitec and all they would do is give me the link for the manual and the phone number for their parts distributor. They said they could not help me because of the liability! So they were no help at all.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I e mailed and called Intellitec and all they would do is give me the link for the manual and the phone number for their parts distributor. They said they could not help me because of the liability! So they were no help at all.

What specific problems are you having?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
scoutmstr,

Front ac fan will not run on low fan or low ac, hight works fine. Can not run it on auto as it needs low. With it on low ac the compressor will run but not the fan. Also this year while running the rear ac on auto in the middle of the night (calling for low) this unit would run the compressor but not the fan on auto and calling for low fan. But it would run the fan on low fan (switch set to low fan) or if I turned the t-stat down it would bring high on. Shed works fine. Rear ac will run fan with switch on low fan or low ac.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
scoutmstr,

Front ac fan will not run on low fan or low ac, hight works fine. Can not run it on auto as it needs low. With it on low ac the compressor will run but not the fan. Also this year while running the rear ac on auto in the middle of the night (calling for low) this unit would run the compressor but not the fan on auto and calling for low fan. But it would run the fan on low fan (switch set to low fan) or if I turned the t-stat down it would bring high on. Shed works fine. Rear ac will run fan with switch on low fan or low ac.
This is not a problem with your EMS. It is either the fan motor or circuit feeding it (loose wire or bad relay on board). Be sure to check the run capacitor for the fan. It is probably a dual capacitor for fan and compressor. Let us know what you find.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not the EMS as Rv wizard says, IMHO
Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why on auto will the rear ac run compressor only and not the fan?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
to trouble shoot this over the web more information is needed such as the actual model numbers of the A/C's as well as how the system is set up (ducted or not) and the specific model number of the thermostat(s) controlling the units.