Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Endless issues

we just got back from vacation and we are having several issues with our 1989 winnebago chieftain. I have looked each problem up on google and still need help. we have an RV mechanic coming out to the house on tuesday, but this is what happened all in one day:
1. rv stalled several times when driving just 3 miles from the house yesterday. weird thing that I noticed is when we got in the rv to leave the radio didn't seem to turn off, rv started and cd came on, when we turned the rv off for a few minutes and then back on cd playing further into song. if key turned to aux. that doesnt happen. ( we had noticed that the battery kept getting drained and couldnt find from what, now thinking the cd player not turning off?) so stalling felt like when we would slow rv down to a stop we would just lose all power, have to turn key off then restart engine, rev and then drive, would last until you had to slow down again.
2. so after we made it home, turned the generator on and it keeps surging on idle and even worse with a load on it. never did this before.
3. don't know if this one is related, but now the AC keeps tripping in the RV if it is hot outside, worked fine in the morning but when the temp outside went up the dang thing keeps tripping. I was able to turn it back on in the evening when it had cooled down and it didnt trip. I was plugged in to shore power.
Sorry this is so long but this all happened yesterday, we have had the RV since march and it truly has been a money pit.( I was fully aware that this would be the case since we bought an older MH) If anyone has any suggestions about any of the issues I have described please let me know, we are having the banks system installed on tuesday and I would like to be a little prepared when I explain the above issues to the mechanic, thank you Angela and Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
The AC will take more AMP's to run when the outside temps go up.
From a normal 75 outside to 115 it takes 2 more AMP of power.
If your breaker is getting old it could be weak and tripping at 15AMP instead of the 20AMP it was built for.
Change the breaker. They are usually around $5.

Don't look for any MPG increase with the Banks.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First think I would do is start in the battery compartment and clean and shine every connection you can find. Trace any heavy cables that go to grounds such as bolts on the chassis. Get things nice and shiny. A dremel tool with a sanding disk is fantastic but you have to keep the battery area ventilated and the sparks away from the batteries. Multiple problems can be cause by poor battery system maintenance and they truly are the real heart beat of any vehicle. A clogged fuel filter can cause some similiar symptoms but combining the stalling with radios acting weird seem electrically related. Computers in todays radios can get very goofy due to low voltage and all bets are off. A voltmeter is a must and a hydrometer is very important as well as studying some basic battery maintenance.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
YCI, excellent response, I agree. Start with the basics (batteries and filters) and go from there.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First I'd get it running reliably, THEN maybe the Banks kit. We've had two RV's that have had the Banks on them. Won't do you any good unless the rig is reliable.

And, as was said, don't depend on any better fuel mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
First I'd get it running reliably, THEN maybe the Banks kit. We've had two RV's that have had the Banks on them. Won't do you any good unless the rig is reliable.

And, as was said, don't depend on any better fuel mileage.
X2. Get the stuff that needs to fixed first......plenty of experience with Banks systems on other vehicles.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The only part your engine and generator have in common is the "in tank" fuel pump. Check your fuel pump and fuel pressure.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #8

If your rig has a ford 460 engine there is a fast idle switch just under the intakes tubes on top of the engine. The part is a round tube about two or three inches long with a wire out the end of it.. Tap on it with a screw driver handle, not too hard but this fixes my idle problem. Untill you get a new one!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
thanks everyone for your suggestions, mobile rv guy came out and it ended up being the fuel pump. He also adjusted the idle on the generator and we got a new circuit board for the a/c. All is running well right now, we didn't have the banks system put on yet as I wanted to be sure the rv was running first. Anyway the rv guy said we had to send the banks system back as they didn't send us the right system. So whatever we ordered for $1000.00 was not enough, so it is now costing almost double that for what he says we need, I don't know but it had something to do with headers and diameters not being big enough,blah blah blah. all I know is that we paid $5000.00 for the rv in march and have spent over that already. But as I said I knew it was an old coach and my DH is not mechanically inclined, so I expected to sign my paycheck over right from the start. Oh and on a side note, when I climbed up on the roof to look at the a/c(DH is an HVAC guy) it was covered in dirt on the inside. the only reason I knew this is because I saw a little sliver of aluminum colour peeking thru and asked DH if that's the colour it's suppose to be. He sprayed it and wahlah, it was filthy. mind you I had asked him if it was possibly dirty and he said no. so now with the a/c clean it is running fine
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
The only part your engine and generator have in common is the "in tank" fuel pump. Check your fuel pump and fuel pressure.
Close but no prize, the generator has it's own dedicated fuel pump, the engine another.

HOWEVER THE Tank vent.. That is common to both.. And he did a fairly good job of describing the operation of a Honda EU-2000i I had some contact with a few years back (Well 2 years back) It woudl start, run for a bit, act fuel starved and die.... Finally "I" "Fixed" it.. (Actually I did not touch it) I started thinking about all I knew of the EU-2000i (never layed hands on one in my life) and suggested to the person workign on it they open the vent on the fuel cap.. Sure enough, that was it.

As for the CD picking up where it left off... That is Normal operation for automotive CD players. So long as the cd is not ejected, they remember last memory cell played. And yes, this is a drain on the battery (Very slight) same as the readio frequency memory, same memory in fact.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The AC will take more AMP's to run when the outside temps go up.
From a normal 75 outside to 115 it takes 2 more AMP of power.
If your breaker is getting old it could be weak and tripping at 15AMP instead of the 20AMP it was built for.
Change the breaker. They are usually around $5.

Don't look for any MPG increase with the Banks.
No Way! The outside temperature will affect the AC compressor's duty cycle (percent on time), but when on, the current draw will not change with temperature.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Close but no prize, the generator has it's own dedicated fuel pump, the engine another.

HOWEVER THE Tank vent.. That is common to both.. And he did a fairly good job of describing the operation of a Honda EU-2000i I had some contact with a few years back (Well 2 years back) It woudl start, run for a bit, act fuel starved and die.... Finally "I" "Fixed" it.. (Actually I did not touch it) I started thinking about all I knew of the EU-2000i (never layed hands on one in my life) and suggested to the person workign on it they open the vent on the fuel cap.. Sure enough, that was it.

As for the CD picking up where it left off... That is Normal operation for automotive CD players. So long as the cd is not ejected, they remember last memory cell played. And yes, this is a drain on the battery (Very slight) same as the readio frequency memory, same memory in fact.
Correct, I erred.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
No Way! The outside temperature will affect the AC compressor's duty cycle (percent on time), but when on, the current draw will not change with temperature.
The higher the temperature the higher the head pressure. The higher the head pressure the higher the amperage draw on the compressor.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
As for the CD picking up where it left off... That is Normal operation for automotive CD players. So long as the cd is not ejected, they remember last memory cell played. And yes, this is a drain on the battery (Very slight) same as the readio frequency memory, same memory in fact

the cd wasn't on the same song, it had been playing even though the key was in the off position. when you turned the key back on the cd was playing the next song. only when the key was in the aux position did it play normally. so now we just manually turn the cd player off as well as everything else when we exit the RV.