Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Engine brakes

Can anyone tell me how to keep the transmission from down shifting when i have the engine brake on. I want to coast down hill in say 4th or 5th gear and maintain a resonable speed for the grade. But the transmission keeps dropping down to the next gear. I have driven trucks with standard transmissions and you pick a gear and let the engine do the braking, but with the automatic, it keeps wanting to drop to a lower gear,just dosent seem right. Any ideas or am i doing somthing wrong?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure what you have so.......... if it has a Allison transmission take it to a Allison shop so they can connect to your transmission's ecm and they can reprogram it to stay in what ever gear you want, no more downshifting and sticking your teeth into your steering wheel. I had mine done to stay in 6th gear a couple of years ago and love it. Mine still downsgifts on it own whe coming to a stop like it did before, just no harsh downshift when I let off the pedel now. You came out of the same school I di and a couple of others on here, but you are going to hear a lt of different opinion's about this I think.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Palehorse89, I would love to get my transmission reprogrammed to manually downshift when the Jake Brake is on. The auto-downshift can be very agressive.

What did the reprogramming cost and where did you get it done?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A buddy if mine works at a international dealer 60 miles from my home, I took it up there and he just brought the laptop outside and hooked up through the 9 pin connector and in the Allison program he selected for it to stay in 6th instread of 4th gear. Took about 2-5 minutes, went inside to see the service manager, he said is it done already, I said yes and he said no charge and if you don't like the setting come back and we will change it again to some thing else for you. So, no charge for the flash of the ecm and location= Erie,Pa. 5 star International.
I had drove it for 3 years before getting this done and after 2 years of having it done I am still hitting myself for not getting it done sooner.
Just call a local(as close to you as you can) and tell the service manager you would like to have your transmission flashed to stay in 5th or 6th, what ever gear you decide.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andwei2 View Post

Can anyone tell me how to keep the transmission from down shifting when i have the engine brake on. I want to coast down hill in say 4th or 5th gear and maintain a reasonable speed for the grade. But the transmission keeps dropping down to the next gear. I have driven trucks with standard transmissions and you pick a gear and let the engine do the braking, but with the automatic, it keeps wanting to drop to a lower gear,just doesn't seem right. Any ideas or am i doing something wrong?
It would help to know if you have an Exhaust Brake or and Engine Compression Brake.

There's a BIG difference in performance and operation of each.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My Coach now has a exhaust brake, when I up grade it will have a engine brake and the new one will be flashed to stay in 6th also. No differance when it comes to a transmission downshifting when it does not need to everytime you let off the throttle pedel.(ENGINE BRAKE SWITCH ALWAYS ON) IMHO
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It would help to know if you have an Exhaust Brake or and Engine Compression Brake.

There's a BIG difference in performance and operation of each.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
With my Duramax just place it in manual shift and use the +\- on the shifter to manage the rpm,s ...... But this is with the Banks exhaust brake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	50097  
Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Dr.4film asked an important question, the two types are totally different. The engine brake is banned by local law in many cities, the exhaust brake may be used anywhere.

Why run with the engine or exhaust brake constantly on when you want to coast? Self-defeating no? Don't you have a convenient switch to turn it off/on? Cummins recommends leaving it off until needed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #9

Wow! 19 minutes and you posted the answer! Thanks Palehorse89.

I am also about 60 miles from Erie...I may go to the same place.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andwei2 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to keep the transmission from down shifting when i have the engine brake on. I want to coast down hill in say 4th or 5th gear and maintain a resonable speed for the grade. But the transmission keeps dropping down to the next gear. I have driven trucks with standard transmissions and you pick a gear and let the engine do the braking, but with the automatic, it keeps wanting to drop to a lower gear,just dosent seem right. Any ideas or am i doing somthing wrong?

i cannot tell what your type of equipment you have.
you can update your signature block to include info about your rv.
see the info from my signature block at the bottom of this post.
if you have an allison with grade brake installed, there is a switch on the dash to turn it off.
do a forum search for grade brake and you will find a lot of information.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dr.4film asked an important question, the two types are totally different. The engine brake is banned by local law in many cities, the exhaust brake may be used anywhere.

Why run with the engine or exhaust brake constantly on when you want to coast? Self-defeating no? Don't you have a convenient switch to turn it off/on? Cummins recommends leaving it off until needed.
Hi Ray, when I want to coast I just back out of the throttle a bit (not completely off the pedal ) and it coasts just fine with the switch on all the time and when stopping I just let off the pedal completely and the exhaust brake is on.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I run my PacBrake Exhaust Brake switch ON all the time.

I operate the treadle exactly like palehorse for coasting. It's an acquired technique that once mastered is easy to manage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am not sure what you have so.......... if it has a Allison transmission take it to a Allison shop so they can connect to your transmission's ecm and they can reprogram it to stay in what ever gear you want, no more downshifting and sticking your teeth into your steering wheel. I had mine done to stay in 6th gear a couple of years ago and love it. Mine still downsgifts on it own whe coming to a stop like it did before, just no harsh downshift when I let off the pedel now. You came out of the same school I di and a couple of others on here, but you are going to hear a lt of different opinion's about this I think.
so how does the trans. know your just wanting to drift off of a hill and not wanting to stop. would love to have total control over what the shifting points.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
so how does the trans. know your just wanting to drift off of a hill and not wanting to stop. would love to have total control over what the shifting points.
When you let off the throttle pedal completely the ECM knows this and the braking kicks in, if you just back off the pedal a bit.......you coast. I don't believe that there is a actual switch on the pedal I believe the ECM recognizes that the pedal is in the "closed" position and activates the engine braking through this pedal position.