Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

I have a W22 under an 03 Pace Arrow. On startup I notice that one of the electric cooling fans on the radiator seems to be running at full speed while the other one is coasting in the draft. Anyone know if both fans are supposed to be on at the same time or is it strictly based upon temperature cooling demands?

Thanks
NavlAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #2

I have a W22 under an 03 Pace Arrow. On startup I notice that one of the electric cooling fans on the radiator seems to be running at full speed while the other one is coasting in the draft. Anyone know if both fans are supposed to be on at the same time or is it strictly based upon temperature cooling demands?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As fare as i know the fans in front of the radiator are only supost to run when the dash ac is on and if only one is running th other must be bad or diconected.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #4

to the best of my memory the cooling fans are what they are, they are not directly related to the a/c but are there for your engine cooling needs. another words in normal circumstanses when rolling down the road there is air flowing through your radiator and a/c condensor, but when stopped or traveling at slower speeds the themal sensor tells the fans to come on to compensate for the lost air flow!
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to my service manual the fans are there for two purposes. One to cool the AC condenser and second to provide some engine cooling. There is another fan (belt drive and viscous clutch activated) behind the radiator that provides engine cooling as well. Both electric fans appear to be activated at the same time.
They can be activated by either a pressure sensor in the AC or by a temperature sensor in the engine.

I have never seen just one of mine running. I would check the connector first and then the fan. You should be able to disconnect it and apply 12 vdc to see if it will run.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume both fans should work at the same time, but since they don't I will take your suggestion and apply a separate 12v source to the slow fan and see what happens.

Thanks