Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Engine ground cable

Does anyone know where you buy a braded engine ground strap with the same gauge as orginal? I can't find a auto store with the same gauge. I was told you could double 2 lighter straps together but not sure about that. I have a 93' Winnebago Vectra. Thanks

guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I'm sure someone will be here shortly to assist.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Does not need to be braided.

Standard heavy cable will work fine if correct size and type.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Ok but how do I know what the correct size and type is that I need
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
What gauge is the positive cable? It doesn't have to be heavier than that. Using two straps is also a possibility, electricity won't care.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Go to Napa or your local auto store and buy a black battery cable with lugs on both ends. They come in different lengths and will be enough of a ground for your coach.

Make sure you clean and sand the contact points to bare metal. Place a "star" washer between the cable and the ground surface and then paint/coat the contact point when done.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu can use a standard welding cable, Braided ground strap is kind of hard to find but... ELECTROINCS stores (Epically those catering to ham radio operators) might.. Let me check one...... DX Engineering Tinned Copper Braid Assemblies - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at DX Engineering

If you need a heavier one,, Give 'em a jingle, They may be able to make one for your or make a suggestion, and if you order today, it will be shipped today (before 10pm) . Mention Ham Nation might get a discount.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
#4 should suffice
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Go to any welding shop. They sell SJ heavy duty wire and all solid copper lugs. My welding supply will sell any cable they carry by the foot and they will swedge on the heavy duty lugs for free if you buy all the stuff needed right there. The local welding supply sells #4, #2, 00, and 0000, and the solid copper heavy duty solid copper lugs to go with them. This is serious oil resistant cables with very fine wires bundled within the SJ jacket making them perfect for use where easily flexible, oil resistant, abrasion resistant, cable is needed. If it were me, and I have been there often, use the 0000, and go from the negative battery connection to the frame and another from the frame to the engine. Add in another 00, from the frame to the body and you will never look back. Remember that grounds complete all the circuits back to the battery in DC and they are often overlooked when you have any weird electrical ghost. Over sizing grounds is a cheap and often needed electrical gremlin fix. Be sure to abbraid the surface to get down to shiny metal, then coat with dielectric grease and tighten down with a regular flat washer on top of the lug and a star washer under the cable lugs between the cable and frame, thus assuring a good electrical and mechanical connection.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Thanks everyone for your help! Problem solved!

1993 Winnebago Vectra 33ft