Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would fight the generator ticket on the basis that the generator was not idleing, it was powering the A/C and quite likely some other stuff inside the "House" portion of the semi truck (Some of those trucks are nicer than some of the RV's I've owned)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'll get concerned abut this the next time I see or hear of somebody actually getting a ticket.
ahicks
Me to!
Thanks for the post.

Apparently Chicken Little, (and a few other dumb cluckers), believe that the "sky is falling" on our RVs.....again!
(At least this time no one is trying to convince us that we can't live without some new "gadget" or "safety device").

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #17

I asked a simple question about RV engine idling and APU use (sorry if my question upset some RV owners)... why did I ask? I’m heading coast to coast next month and wondered what problems I might find along the way. That one popped up.
I also Googled high crime rest areas and travel plazas to avoid... but won’t discuss those findings, as it would only upset others.
I called a few States and asked about their laws and found a wide array of both blending and unique distinctions, between OTR and RV operators.
It was either NJ or CT that some LEOs were citing APU use in rest areas... they have since stopped that practice.
Some States have coordinated engine idle and APU use into State-wide law and now prevent local communities from having additional local ordinances. Other States it’s still a free for all, with many conflicting local laws. I was told driver beware.
Other oddities I stumbled on and hadn’t thought about before were eye opening. (stop reading if this might offend you).
In some States if the RV is registered as business owned or a LLC or LLP regardless of reason... you are a ‘commercial operator’. In some States if you write-off your RV use as a business expense, you might also be a commercial operator. That could include according to those State laws... stopping at weigh stations, having a CDL, paying a road tax, fuel tax, commercial insurance coverage, etc, etc. I was shocked. I think it was PA or OH that told me RV means ‘recreational’ not business vehicle. They were blunt about it. I was told it isn’t what you drive, but how you registered with DMV that counts.
Another oddity that I guess I knew, but forgot... I was reminded by a few States that running 102” wide vehicle I’m restricted as to which roads I can legally operate on (unique by State). I do remember Winnebago having that information in their fine print when I bought this RV.
There was other legal oddities I learned about dealing with Toads, speed limits, tires, lights, etc.
I’ll close with drive safe, have fun and be legal...
RFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #18

Gents,
Much, if not all, is common sense. Any engine in any RV is pushing a brick with "0" aero dynamics along at anywhere from 50-75 MPH. So, that means it's WORKING to do so. And that means it's WARM/HOT. So, if and when you pull into a rest stop and have been hitting it for several hundred miles and quite possibly up a grade to the intended rest stop, which, makes it work even harder and therefore get even warmer, then, yes, some idle time is warranted.

Now, just how much, well, that depends on a whole series of variables. Just how hot was the engine at the approach of the rest stop, normal, higher than normal, CONSIDERABLY HIGHER than normal, LOWER than normal (long down grade approaching a rest stop)??? So, if you know your own engine, and have accurate temp gauges, not idiot lights, then you see what its temp is as you approach the off ramp and then, as you park it, and keep an eye on that gauge, see it drop after oh, say a minute to two, and, it's very close to "NORMAL", then you most likely have let it "cool down" enough that the turbo, (if you have one) and it's oil lubed/cooled bearings have cooled down to the point that you can safely shut down the engine.

I've not checked any of the idling laws, anywhere. And, in all of our travels, and the stops we've made at rest stops, I'm not sure we've ever seen any Law enforcement at any of them. That doesn't mean they don't frequent them, it just means we've not seen any at the time we've been at them. But, even when there's no one else at a rest stop, I check the gauges and when it's at the norm temp, around a minute to two, the engine get's shut down.

Most of the diesel manufacturers have stated in the last few years, it's not necessary to idle or run todays diesels for long periods prior to or, coming from, a long run because, it causes premature wear and, more pollution than needs to be. It drives me nuts when I'm fueling up my regular car in a gas station and here comes some cowboy with his 9' off-the-ground diesel Dodge, Ford or Chevy and idles it for the entire time he's fueling up. Must be trying to impress someone. They do the same when they park it in front of the store and walk in and shop for 10 minutes and then stand in line waiting to pay for it all the while this beast is idling outside. Oh well, it's their $4.00 a gallon fuel so, I guess it's OK to do it for them.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFritz View Post
I asked a simple question about RV engine idling and APU use (sorry if my question upset some RV owners)... why did I ask? I’m heading coast to coast next month and wondered what problems I might find along the way. That one popped up.
I also Googled high crime rest areas and travel plazas to avoid... but won’t discuss those findings, as it would only upset others.
I called a few States and asked about their laws and found a wide array of both blending and unique distinctions, between OTR and RV operators.
It was either NJ or CT that some LEOs were citing APU use in rest areas... they have since stopped that practice.
Some States have coordinated engine idle and APU use into State-wide law and now prevent local communities from having additional local ordinances. Other States it’s still a free for all, with many conflicting local laws. I was told driver beware.
Other oddities I stumbled on and hadn’t thought about before were eye opening. (stop reading if this might offend you).
In some States if the RV is registered as business owned or a LLC or LLP regardless of reason... you are a ‘commercial operator’. In some States if you write-off your RV use as a business expense, you might also be a commercial operator. That could include according to those State laws... stopping at weigh stations, having a CDL, paying a road tax, fuel tax, commercial insurance coverage, etc, etc. I was shocked. I think it was PA or OH that told me RV means ‘recreational’ not business vehicle. They were blunt about it. I was told it isn’t what you drive, but how you registered with DMV that counts.
Another oddity that I guess I knew, but forgot... I was reminded by a few States that running 102” wide vehicle I’m restricted as to which roads I can legally operate on (unique by State). I do remember Winnebago having that information in their fine print when I bought this RV.
There was other legal oddities I learned about dealing with Toads, speed limits, tires, lights, etc.
I’ll close with drive safe, have fun and be legal...
Thanks for the update! As you mentioned, laws vary by state, some do not have idle laws that apply to RVs (exceptions that are not RV explicit but apply to a sub-set of vehicles ... mostly dealing with private/personal use).
Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #20

When I was an mp in the service we were warned not to idle our trucks when picking up GIs in town because of pollution so you know local yocles won't hesitate to ticket an RV especially at month end when the quotas kick in.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFritz View Post
Another oddity that I guess I knew, but forgot.
I have a friend who was stopped in Texas for being over length. When the trooper asked what was in the trailer he told them his car and some items he sold at rallies, etc. He was ticketed for not having commercial plates on the trailer. I don't know if he fought it or what the outcome was. The trooper gave him a warning on the over length.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had a diesel pickup pulling a 5th wheel across country I would let mine cool down prior to shutting down. Actually I installed a shutdown timer that ran off a temperature probe to get the actual temperature of the exhaust temp. It was set to shutdown at a certain temperature or 3 minutes, whichever came first.
I'm a firm believer of warming up the engine and cooling it down before moving one of these bricks. So if they want to give me a ticket or make me shutdown then they can just buy me a new engine.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #23

Almost never any need to warm up any engine just to idle it out of a campground. Little bit of consideration by early-leavers goes a long way towards avoiding everyone else being forced to be tolerant.

As for turbochargers - modern ones have far better lubrication systems than previously, so far better to follow the makers' recommendations that rarely require extended idle time if there has been a gradual and extended slowdown period.