Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Engine noise/heat barrier

I'm starting a project of insulating my engine bay cover area to lessen the noise and heat entering the cabin.
I bought a product that has a alum. reflective skin and 1/4" foam behind that. The back side has a sticky adhesive than seems to work well.
Above the engine side looks tough to get at, appears my grandson could stand up and apply the barrier.

The OEM engine bay area is just fiberglass with no insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngBayInsul 001.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	58484   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngBayInsul 002.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	58485  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Been thinking of doing the same thing. Have been looking at some spray adhesives for around the underside of the foot floor to also help control sound.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Been thinking of doing the same thing. Have been looking at some spray adhesives for around the underside of the foot floor to also help control sound.
James,
I've found the 3M Rubberized undercoating works ok if you apply it thick enough (4 coats). The 3M brand is a lot better than the cheapo brands and has more rubber in it and smells less like asphalt. @ $9 a can.
IMO the upper engine bay gets too hot for the spray on sound deadener.
LINK for the product I used>
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the link. My cover does not seem to be very hot, but it is insulated a little already with carpet. The cover is also fiberglass so that should help with heat but there is some prominent engine noise that I wouldn't mind trying to deaden a little. Don't have any issues with conversation and radio but I would like to quiet it down some.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

While cruising the engine noise isn't bad at all. Hard throttle acceleration is a whole different story
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IdahoSRT10

Where did you get your materials from?
Due to my DW's illness she is in bed quite a bit. I've been trying to come up with a similar solution to quiet the sound down in the bedroom.
DanandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

[QUOTE=DanandPJ;1972287]IdahoSRT10

Where did you get your materials from? SEE LINK IN POST #3 From China at near 1/2 the cost locally.

I'm not sure this will make your bedroom quieter unless you stick it on the windows, ceiling, and walls.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep! That's probably not going to work, Hmmm, she doesn't do well with the windows (Bright light and migraines, not a good mix) just kidding! Thanks for pointing out the link, must be getting past my bedtime.
DanandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I brought a product that is a heat barrier and noise reducer. Our insulation on the old Eagle is flaking away. I cleaned it all off above the engine and the enclosed casing in the bedroom. We then screwed this stuff and stuck it to the overhead part and framing. It's not cheap and pretty heavy. A thick material in between aluminum, they also use it in race cars from what I read. I have the box in the garage, but can't remember the name. It helps with the diesel noise back there and definitely the heat. When we have the time, hubby is going to scrape off all the old and we are going to put this up under the frame and all around the generator cavity too where the old stuff that is falling apart is now. Going to be a very messy job.