Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #1

My engine service light has come on. I have a motorhome with a GM 8.1L Vortec engine.
I had a auto parts store run a scan on the system and they came up with an error code of PO332 (Knock Sensor)
Any advice or suggestions on how to go about fixing.
Do not care to take to a dealer unless only other option.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

My engine service light has come on. I have a motorhome with a GM 8.1L Vortec engine.
I had a auto parts store run a scan on the system and they came up with an error code of PO332 (Knock Sensor)
Any advice or suggestions on how to go about fixing.
Do not care to take to a dealer unless only other option.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #3

P0332 refers to a fault involving KS2, which is located on the passenger side of the engine. There is a test procedure in the Workhorse manual starting on page 6-401 which will require that you have a scanner, DMM, and possibly a few other diagnostic tools at your disposal.

In a nutshell, the MIL is set when the PCM detects a frequency that is less than or more than a defined range, DTC P0327 will set for a failure in knock sensor (1) which is located on bank 1 on the drivers side of the engine
or DTC P0332 will set for a failure in knock sensor (2) which is located on bank 2 on the passenger side of the engine; and the PCM determines that this frequency is less than or more than the expected amount for 3 seconds or more. The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

Check the knock sensor for proper installation. A knock sensor that is loose or over torqued may cause either DTC to set. As always with all of this electronic stuff, make sure all of the connectors to the sensor and PCM are clean and tight.

If the sensor is not loose or over torqued, there is a test procedure that can be accomplished, but the net result is that either the knock sensor or the PCM ends up being replaced.

It would be helpful to know the year of the coach, putting this info into your signature is recommended. If you really want to do your own maintenance purchasing the Workhorse service manual, a good code scanner, and DMM will be money well spent.

Welcome to IRV2, you are in the right place for help and information.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #4

I have checked all electrical connections and everything seems to be tight. If I just wanted to replace the Knock sensor, where on the right side of the block would I find this? At the top or bottom?
I am not quite sure what I am looking for.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

KS 2 is on the passenger side of the engine just in front of the starter in the bottom of the block. Should have a single wire going to it, probably looks something like an oil pressure sensor.

You might want to look around in the area of the sensor, part of the test procedure has you simulate an engine knock by knocking on the block and checking for a code. If there is something loose close to the sensor it could result in a bogus MIL light. Probably not likely but worth checking.

The replacement sensor should be torqued to 15 lbft.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by js9315 View Post
KS 2 is on the passenger side of the engine just in front of the starter in the bottom of the block. Should have a single wire going to it, probably looks something like an oil pressure sensor.

You might want to look around in the area of the sensor, part of the test procedure has you simulate an engine knock by knocking on the block and checking for a code. If there is something loose close to the sensor it could result in a bogus MIL light. Probably not likely but worth checking.

The replacement sensor should be torqued to 15 lbft.
I found your old thread after googling for the same problem. Have you resolved this problem? My 2005 Bounder is in the shop for the second occurrence of a knock sensor failure. Mechanic says wires got too hot both times. He has a call in to WorkHorse to see if their is a cooling air retrofit for this problem. If not he plans to wrap the wires with asbestos. Anyone else have similar issues?