Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entry door adjustment

On a 2007 Lexington, the entry door closes poorly. There is roughly 1/4 inch gap in parts of the door. If there is an adjustment, I don't see it. My latch and striker look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striker.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	198584   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	198585  

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Judging from what I can see in the photos; what appears to be a contact area in the area ahead of the latch sliding pin ; the door's hinge may have sagged, or the frame work of the RV has gone , off square.
Check the frame and door with a builder's square.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

My door has the same striker setup, and my door is tight on the hinge side. The issue is the bottom on the striker side is tight, but the top has a 1/4” gap. I loosend the 2 philips head screws and adjusted the striker what I could, but it’s not enough. My next attempt is going to be tilting the lower side of the striker to push the bottom out, which has to bring the top in. My issue is that it’s too cold here in Wisconsin to mess with the motorhome to try this.

Where are the gaps for you?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

My gaps are worse at the top. I got some very thick (1/2") weatherstripping that I want to try out.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
My gaps are worse at the top. I got some very thick (1/2") weatherstripping that I want to try out.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

I’m not sure thicker stripping is the solution. Nothing appears wrong. If something was wrong, wouldn’t the pins not hit the striker plate wrong? Nothing is sagging or out of place, so it’s something more simple. Is there a second striker plate behind the one visible? Maybe there is a second plate behind the first one that is meant to adjust where the bolt gets held in place? Maybe that’s what’s wrong with mine too?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Maybe there is a second plate behind the first one that is meant to adjust where the bolt gets held in place? Maybe that’s what’s wrong with mine too?
I wondered about this. I removed the striker and looked at the back, no adjustment. It is all one piece.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
I wondered about this. I removed the striker and looked at the back, no adjustment. It is all one piece.
Bummer. Mine has 2 plates, but I don’t know if the second plate is used for adjustment or not.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Bummer. Mine has 2 plates, but I don’t know if the second plate is used for adjustment or not.
Yours likely has two plates to make the door latch catch. The reveal of the door to frame is likely large enough to cause and issue with only one strike plate. You would have to adjust them both at the same time to make any difference to you.
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
On a 2007 Lexington, the entry door closes poorly. There is roughly 1/4 inch gap in parts of the door. If there is an adjustment, I don't see it. My latch and striker look like this:
One or both of the striker guides will move around for you to adjust....you just need the right torx on a ratchet to do this job. The guides will help align the door latch to where you set it.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
One or both of the striker guides will move around for you to adjust....you just need the right torx on a ratchet to do this job. The guides will help align the door latch to where you set it.
I have completely removed both sides from the RV. There is no adjustment. The guides (with TORX) go into one spot, one way. The entire assembly is fixed by the phillips screws.

On the other side, it screws into one spot.

I tried the thicker weatherstripping and it looks good. I haven't road tested it yer.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
I can think of two possible solutions.
You can remove the striker plate, grind the screw holes into slots and reinstall with adjustment.
Or, you can remove the striker plate, grind the guide slots to allow the door to close correctly and reinstall with a smooth closing door.
My latch is a different model (as is my coach) and I ended up grinding the receiver slot for my lathing pin to get mine to shut nicely.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

Maybe the door is a little sprung. My new RV had that problem. Dealer straightened the door. Perfect fit now. Looks perfect. Closes perfect.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
I have completely removed both sides from the RV. There is no adjustment. The guides (with TORX) go into one spot, one way. The entire assembly is fixed by the phillips screws.

On the other side, it screws into one spot.

I tried the thicker weatherstripping and it looks good. I haven't road tested it yer.
You know I just went back and re-read your original post where you stated that the door closes good...I missed that statement somehow. Trying to adjust the door latch wouldn't do you any good to take up the space you mentioned. The weatherstripping that you did was one of the only solutions other than making hinge adjustments to straighten the door. Your route was much safer than that!

Tags
door, entry door