Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
After pondering the problem of the entry door on the coach being sprung or damaged by a gust of wind snatching it out of my (or the DW) hand and causing me lots of money I have come up with a simple solution.

I finally realized that I was way over thinking the problem and needed to keep it simple. I looked at the suction cup rods that stick to the front of the rig and to the door, but didn't like the possibility of damage if one side or the other unstuck and scratched up the paint.

So this is what I came up with. I used about 2 feet of 1" black nylon strap that I cut off of a motorcycle rachet tie down strap that didn't need. I folded each end over about an inch and used a nail to poke two small holes in each end. I then drilled two small holes in the upper door frame about 6" from the leading edge. Then I drilled two more small holes in the top of the door frame about 7" from the leading edge. I inserted two flat head screws about 3/8" long through the holes that I poked in the strap with the nail. I used a squirt of clear silicone on each small hole I drilled in the frame and the door. I screwed the two small screws into the top of door frame from the bottom side, and into the top of the door from the top side.

The holes are drilled at about a 45 degree angle to the door and to the frame to keep the strap from looking twisted when it's open and to allow the door to close without interfereing with the rubber seal around the door. I offset the location of the holes for the frame and the door to allow the two ends to rest next to each other and not interfere with each other when the door is closed.

The approx. 1/4 inch gap around the door allows the strap to fit in without effecting the door operation. To size the length of the strap, I opened the door to it's normal full open swing point, then sized the strap so it is about an inch shy of the full open point. The door still opens normally, but if it were to snap open the extra inch would allow the minimal stretching of the nylon strap with out damaging that expensive door and hinge.

When the door is open the strap is extended above the screen door and allows opening and closing of the screen door without catching or obstructing the door. When both doors are closed, the strap hangs against the edge of the door out of the way.

The best part of the fix was it was free, it gives me peace of mind that the door will not be snapped back unexpectedly, and it is unobtrusive. I also don't need to remember to put it on, or take it off when I get to a campground, and it will be there to protect the door when I pull up to any stopping point on the road and exit to stretch the legs.

One issue that was noteworthy is that I was impressed how thick the aluminum was in the door frame and the door jam. It made for a solid mount for the screws to bite into.

Hope I explained this well enough to make sense to you guys!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
After pondering the problem of the entry door on the coach being sprung or damaged by a gust of wind snatching it out of my (or the DW) hand and causing me lots of money I have come up with a simple solution.

I finally realized that I was way over thinking the problem and needed to keep it simple. I looked at the suction cup rods that stick to the front of the rig and to the door, but didn't like the possibility of damage if one side or the other unstuck and scratched up the paint.

So this is what I came up with. I used about 2 feet of 1" black nylon strap that I cut off of a motorcycle rachet tie down strap that didn't need. I folded each end over about an inch and used a nail to poke two small holes in each end. I then drilled two small holes in the upper door frame about 6" from the leading edge. Then I drilled two more small holes in the top of the door frame about 7" from the leading edge. I inserted two flat head screws about 3/8" long through the holes that I poked in the strap with the nail. I used a squirt of clear silicone on each small hole I drilled in the frame and the door. I screwed the two small screws into the top of door frame from the bottom side, and into the top of the door from the top side.

The holes are drilled at about a 45 degree angle to the door and to the frame to keep the strap from looking twisted when it's open and to allow the door to close without interfereing with the rubber seal around the door. I offset the location of the holes for the frame and the door to allow the two ends to rest next to each other and not interfere with each other when the door is closed.

The approx. 1/4 inch gap around the door allows the strap to fit in without effecting the door operation. To size the length of the strap, I opened the door to it's normal full open swing point, then sized the strap so it is about an inch shy of the full open point. The door still opens normally, but if it were to snap open the extra inch would allow the minimal stretching of the nylon strap with out damaging that expensive door and hinge.

When the door is open the strap is extended above the screen door and allows opening and closing of the screen door without catching or obstructing the door. When both doors are closed, the strap hangs against the edge of the door out of the way.

The best part of the fix was it was free, it gives me peace of mind that the door will not be snapped back unexpectedly, and it is unobtrusive. I also don't need to remember to put it on, or take it off when I get to a campground, and it will be there to protect the door when I pull up to any stopping point on the road and exit to stretch the legs.

One issue that was noteworthy is that I was impressed how thick the aluminum was in the door frame and the door jam. It made for a solid mount for the screws to bite into.

Hope I explained this well enough to make sense to you guys!

Sarge
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sarge, sounds like a pretty good idea. What sizescrews did you use? Do you think they will handle the lateral impact? Let us know how it does if an when the door ever gets away from you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great idea. How about some pictures? Many thanks;
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mike, the screws were about 3/8 long zinc plated screws I had left over after putting up a metal shed a while back. I also used two screws, one next to the other to double up the holding ability. I used the rig this weekend, and while there was no wind to speak of, the DW sometimes lets the door "get away" from her!

Ron, I thought I would need to provide some to make things clear. I will take some tonight and get them approved. I should get them up by tomorrow.

Sarge
Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

Sarge
That sounds like a great idea! The door got away from one of my passengers in a gale and now opens a little more than before. Looking at the front DP type door, it has very little to act as a stop. The force at the hinge is enormous and it is a wonder that more doors have not seriously sprung. I will await your pictures since it is very hard to follow the written description.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
OK guys, here are some photos to help understand the project.

This is a photo of what the strap looks like with the door open. It is at the top of the frame, so no interferance is caused when going in and out of the door.

When the screen door opens and closes, the strap rides easily on top of the screen.

Now attaching the strap. This is where the strap is attached to the top of the entry door. Note the two flat head screws next to each other to provide better holding power of the strap.

The strap is mounted closer to the edge of the door than I originally thought. I tried it in a few different places prior to drilling the holes. Placement at the end gave better strength for big winds. It wound up about 2" from the end of the door.

when mounting on the top of the door frame, I made sure to leave enough room for the strap on top of the door to slide in next to it, about 3" from the edge of the door frame.

The length of the strap is longer than I thought too. It turned out to be about 42" long, counting the little extra I folded over at the ends to strengthen the strap.

When the door is closed the strap hangs to the edge of the door frame. I have the DW tuck the end of it through a secondary handle I added to the screen door some time ago to make it easier to close from the inside.

There are a few other pics pending approval in my gallery. I hope this clears up the mounting proceedure. One last note, be very careful when sizing the screws to the holes you drill. Make sure that they are very close in size to the holes you drill to avoid having to redrill or use really big screws.

Let me know if I forgot anything and I will try to explain.........

Sorry the pics are a little small, I'm still expirmenting with Vista....

Sarge
Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a good pic of what the strap looks like from the top as the door closes. The low profile prevents any binding, and doesn't even interfere with the rubber seal around the door.

Maybe a moderator will increase the size of my pics if possible
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #9

Sarge: You're right, I've probably been over-thinking this as well. What I had in mind is a hinge whose name I don't know, but can draw it. Just can't find it.

I'd like to see full size pics as well because I think we're all on borrowed time with springing that door.

Thanks!!

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff, if you go to the photo gallery at the top of the forum page and search for my photos, if you click on them they will open up to about 5X5 and are very easy to see.

I can try to post some bigger ones later tonight when I get home.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Great job, thanks for taking the time to do the pics. Simplest is still the best.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote