Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
EOY Consignment Sales

I realize that dealers have an incentive to reduce inventory at the end of the year. Do consignment dealers have this same incentive? Has anyone experienced more negotiating power at the end of the year?

Looking for my first RV!

Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Consignment dealers

I can't say for sure but, I don't see why a consignment dealer would have the same pressure to "deal" as a "regular" dealer (who has to make room for arriving inventory). Perhaps if his lot is out of storage space (but then, he could just return rigs that weren't selling to their owners)? Have you looked at RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale ? Great resource for quick price comparisons, especially if you're willing to travel to get a deal. Just make sure you're comparing "Apples to Apples" as differences in trim & equipment can affect prices.

NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
The way I understand it is that "normal" dealers own the inventory and in some states pay taxes on unsold inventory at the end of the year. Thus they are willing to make a deal that reduces the tax burden. Consignment dealers do not own the rigs so they would not be paying inventory tax on it. The owner of the rig also probably does not have any extra tax liability to pressure an end of year deal. Although they might like to start the new year without the overall liability of the rig.

It is always worth throwing out a low ball offer once you find the rig you like regardless of the time of the year.

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
Consignment Dealers usually do not own the units they are selling unless the unit that's for sale was taken in on trade for another unit they had as a consignment on there lot.

The Owner of the consigned unit has signed an agreement to have the consignment dealer sell it on their behalf. The majority of the time the Unit continues to have the title in the private owners name until it is sold. If a Unit has a loan on it, the private owner also still has insurance on it.

The consignment dealer is really just a dealer where they are acting on behalf of the Units owner, the owner just doesn't want to mess with people or they might get a quicker sale as many people are visiting a consignment dealers lot.

Some consignment dealers will post the price for the unit and the units owner has preauthorized the dealer to sell it at a lower price without calling the owner. At a price below the authorized level they have to call the owner to see if they want to sell it at that price or continue negotiation.

For a buyers piece of mind, many consignment dealers offer for a fee a complete check of the unit prior to purchasing. If something is not working the dealer then ask the Buyer to fix it or renegotiates the sell price for the buyer.

November, December and January are the slowest times for all new and consignment dealers. Getting a better price on a consignment really depends on why the owner is selling it.

For example: if you have an owner who wants to sell to upgrade and the units is in excellent condition, they might not consider low offers. As they do not have to sell and know in the Spring the unit will eventually sell at a possible higher price due to its excellent condition.
Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. It's also helpful to know these are the slowest months. We have a coach we are interested in, but I would like to wait until February to pull the trigger.

Chris & Tracey
08 Dutch Star
Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Even though it is the slowest time of the year does not mean units are not selling, especially if the are very clean. You may have someone having sold their RV weeks ago and is looking for a specific unit, keeping an eye out for one even though its winter. When they see it and its condition meets their requirements there probably going to make an offer.

I bought my RV in the middle of the Winter because it was a used RV that was in excellent condition and low mileage, but again I am in the South and do not deal with snow or extreme cold conditions.

Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote