Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #1

Our air brake guages will jump from normal readings to zero and then to maximum at any time. The warning buzzer also sounds. First happened 10 mo ago and pulled off road to check. Shut down, looked under, pull lanyards, restarted and no furthur alarms. Happened again next day, stopped and returned to normal before we could stop. Convinced it is not pressure failure! Need to know where sensors are located, grounded, etc. If we get close to Freightliner, it will not do it. Anyone else?
Bob & CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #2

Our air brake guages will jump from normal readings to zero and then to maximum at any time. The warning buzzer also sounds. First happened 10 mo ago and pulled off road to check. Shut down, looked under, pull lanyards, restarted and no furthur alarms. Happened again next day, stopped and returned to normal before we could stop. Convinced it is not pressure failure! Need to know where sensors are located, grounded, etc. If we get close to Freightliner, it will not do it. Anyone else?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bob & CJ to irv2.
Can't help but will short cut question to FL Forum for more exposure.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #4

My Spartan front air gauge has done it off and on...replaced the gauge and seemed ok for 5 months then went nutz last weekend...from 65 with warning buzzer to 150 with high pressure red light..all within 15 seconds....happened about 20 times each way in a 150 mile trip....Spartan says it MAY be a software issue...need to verify Firmware version tomorrow..if not, then some sort of wiring or sender problem....big PIA
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The zero-full cycle is the start up sequence and happens whenever power comes on. My guess is that you have a loose power or ground wire in the dash and the gauge is losing power and coming back on, going through its reset cycle.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
The zero-full cycle is the start up sequence and happens whenever power comes on. My guess is that you have a loose power or ground wire in the dash and the gauge is losing power and coming back on, going through its reset cycle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Gary. I've been behind dash checked wires and flipped the disc over in the buzzer.(less noise) Need to trace wires to tanks or wherever sensors are located. Some WABCO plumbing near center, but marked L and R.

Will try this week end

Bob
Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #7

If your Freightliner is like mine the air tubes go from the two tanks to the vehicle dash controller (VDC). There the pressure is converted to a digital signal and sent to the dash gauges. You should swap the connector on the bad dash gauge with another gauge to see if that eliminates the problem. If so then you have a bad connector. If you are having trouble with only one gauge I suspect you have the problem I had off and on for a year, and that was a bad VDC. I took it to Gaffney and they replaced it and ended the porblem.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same problem - see my low air alarm post - how much to replace a VDC - my 2002 Itasca is out of warranty, but I do have CSP.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #9

I had the same problem with erratic air pressure gauges while driving, finally had the VDC replaced. Parts cost was $450 plus an hour of labor @ $95/hr. On my 2001 Freightliner XCS the VDC is in the engine compartment under the bed mounted on the support crossmember. You have to remove the mattress and unscrew the bed platform and remove the back engine compartment cover to get to the VDC on my chassis.

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
How did you disconnect the darn buzzer? My problem with this air alarm persists on this 5000 mile trip I'm on and I know it is the sensor on the VDC. So how do you deal with the buzzer - where is it under the dash or a simple buzzer fuse?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the VDC is in the engine compartment under the bed mounted on the support crossmember. You have to remove the mattress and unscrew the bed platform and remove the back engine compartment cover to get to the VDC on my chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to wonder sometimes if the design engineers are brain damaged.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:

You have to wonder sometimes if the design engineers are brain damaged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right!....The dash controller is on top of the engine, the engine controller is in the dash...