Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Escape Window Prop Can Save A Life

A simple three dollar purchase could save a life! I recently attended a seminar by Mac the Fire Guy at Quartzsite AZ. One component of that was demonstrating an escape out of the bedroom window. Mac explained at best you have 40 seconds before being overcome by smoke, fumes, or flames. Practicing this escape ahead of time greatly improves your chances of survival.

Mac McCoy stated that success going out a hinged escape window is greatly increased by having a very simple device at hand. A window prop keeps the heavy hinged window up and away from you as you pass through the escape window. He also mentioned to have two props in case you drop one outside and keep them handy to the escape window. Use a heavy blanket across the bottom window frame to cushion against abrasions.

So I went to Home Depot and purchased a 4' piece of 1/2" wooden dowel and four rubber caps. After measuring what length needed, I cut two props out of the dowel and capped them with simple rubber caps (optional). Using velcro, they are now attached to the wall directly below the escape window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape Window Prop.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	55580  

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You will want a rope ladder under the bed as well. Its a long way down and if you break something and can't move away from a fire due to the pain; you are still in trouble.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
Entegra Owners Club
I think thats a great idea George.
Neal, Tam, & JR
Elmo & Rosie (Cavaliers) Aggie (White Lab)
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We can never hear that enough. I went to Mac's seminar twice and wrote a similar thread back then. Thanks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my solution to the problem! I would be concerned that the dowels might slip out easily, dropping the window on me!

Escape ladders aren't for fat folks!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
On our old Southwind, the escape window is plastic and quite light. I removed the little screws that prevent the window from sliding out of its channel.
Open, slide to the driver's side and the window falls away.

The toilet room has a 20x20 escape hatch and it's left foot on the toilet, right foot on the counter and up you go.

Practice often, even if it's visualizing. Keep things lubed and free.
Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Great thread, especially for us newbies! Never even thought of a fire, until I began reading up on refrigerators!

Window props, new extinguishers and smoke detectors on the list now!!
Greg & Diana
1988 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite XL 31' Banks Power system, & Tag Axle
SW Michigan
BarkerLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Good thread, have the rop and wife went out the window on concrete! No need for a ladder, no time. My wife is only 4ft 10in, went out with no trouble. Mac is a great guy, attend his seminar every chance we get. He is very passionate about his job! You owe it to yourself to practice saving your life at least once!
George, thanks for posting sir!
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
The average time for a 10 X 50 mobile home to go from fire ignition to fully-engulfed is 4-6 minutes; by that time anyone inside is likely dead from smoke and heat inhalation. It's logical, a MH being smaller will go faster.
Mac is a very knowledgeable man, enjoys his profession, and has made living in an RV much safer for those who pay attention to his advice.
Motorhomes have the majority of fires, most of those start in the engine compartment. I have 4 extinguishers in our MH/RV, their purpose is to buy enough time to escape to outside. After that, it's the insurance companies problem.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote