Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Essex KE-1601 keyless entry

The outside keypad on my Essex KE-1601 keyless entry system just stopped working! It has been hard to press the buttons for some time, but yesterday it did not respond at all no matter how hard I press the buttons. I thought maybe I could clean the contacts behind the buttons, but after removing it from the outside wall I found it was a sealed unit. The model number of the door unit is AKE-1601M. I'm not sure if the problem is in the outside remote unit or the main control.

Have any of you had this problem? I see from their website that the 1600 series has been discontinued, replaced by the 1700 series. When I Googled the AKE-1601M nothing came up except the Essex site. I will call them Monday, but just wanted to see if anyone has had this same problem. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There have been several posts on the Keyless entry system both here on IRV2 and the Monacoers site. From what I've read you will probably have to change out your system.

I attached the parts breakdown on my 2002 Windsor, probably the same as yours. This might help you track this down.

With all the interest in the keyless system and key fobs I actually spent some time yesterday searching this topic and had no luck finding the 1601 system.

You might also contact Visione Auto Mart, they deal in salvage RV's and may have a keypad like you have. Used RV Parts And Accessories | Visone RV Monaco Parts Dealer | rvparts.visonerv.com?

Good Luck, I know I'd be lost without my keyless entry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 Remote Entry Parts.pdf (35.0 KB, 231 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
There have been several posts on the Keyless entry system both here on IRV2 and the Monacoers site. From what I've read you will probably have to change out your system.

I attached the parts breakdown on my 2002 Windsor, probably the same as yours. This might help you track this down.

With all the interest in the keyless system and key fobs I actually spent some time yesterday searching this topic and had no luck finding the 1601 system.

You might also contact Visione Auto Mart, they deal in salvage RV's and may have a keypad like you have. Used RV Parts And Accessories | Visone RV Monaco Parts Dealer | rvparts.visonerv.com?

Good Luck, I know I'd be lost without my keyless entry.
Thanks Jim! I'm going to pursue it further tomorrow. I don't even have a wireless key FOB, we just use the keypad by the door.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

My Keypad quit working back in June 2009. The 9/0 key just stopped responding.

I found a replacement at Northwest RV Supply back then BUT those are probably getting pretty scarce by now. If it craps out one more time I will most likely upgrade it to a current Key-Less Entry System offered by the same company, Essex.

I believe the KE-1700 Series is their most current version for RV coaches.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Richard! Glad to see you're back on the forum!

I called Essex and they gave me the number of a distributor (I didn't write down the company name). He has a replacement for $169.95. We're on a short trip now and I will call him to order when I get back.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

Glad to be back. I just need to watch what I say in my future posts.

Please let me know what that contact is in case my preset keypad decides to go TU.

That would be easier than replacing the entire package.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

I need the name of the distributor to call for a replacement Keypad.

I will call Essex tomorrow to see how difficult it is to upgrade to the K-1700 Series System. If it is too difficult then I most likely will replace just the keypad one more time.

My number 3/4 key just took a dump today and is no longer responding.

Help Please!

This will be my third one. I replaced the original back in June 2009 so that one lasted 5 1/2 years.

I think the constant sun shinning it does a number on the keypad.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

I need the name of the distributor to call for a replacement Keypad.

I will call Essex tomorrow to see how difficult it is to upgrade to the K-1700 Series System. If it is too difficult then I most likely will replace just the keypad one more time.

My number 3/4 key just took a dump today and is no longer responding.

Help Please!

This will be my third one. I replaced the original back in June 2009 so that one lasted 5 1/2 years.

I think the constant sun shinning it does a number on the keypad.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I got the replacement keypad from A1 Electric in Torrance, CA.
The part # from them is AKE5BH at $169.95 with free shipping. The guy's name is Art and the phone number is 888-838-0506. The number on the old keypad was AKE1601M. The new one has blue lights instead of red.

I haven't installed mine yet. I found out that the keypad is also the "brains" of the thing. There is another control inside, I think under the dash, but he says that is just for the wireless keyfob which I don't use anymore.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent information.

I called the Essex Technical Service Guru this morning and talked with him at length about the keypads.

It appears that the AKE5BH keypad had gone through some changes and upgrades in the fall of 2009 just AFTER I had purchased my last unit for replacement. The changes were to hopefully make the unit more robust and last longer.

I also asked about using the K-1700 Series keypad instead of purchasing a new AKE5BH keypad. He said that it would work and function correctly BUT the opening in the side of the coach would need to be enlarged to accommodate the larger keypad.

So I ended up opting for the upgraded AKE5BH keypad instead of getting out all of my tools to have at the side of the coach.

Thanks for the help and assistance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,

I called the Essex Technical Service Guru this morning and talked with him at length about the keypads.

It appears that the AKE5BH keypad had gone through some changes and upgrades in the fall of 2009 just AFTER I had purchased my last unit for replacement. The changes were to hopefully make the unit more robust and last longer.

I also asked about using the K-1700 Series keypad instead of purchasing a new AKE5BH keypad. He said that it would work and function correctly BUT the opening in the side of the coach would need to be enlarged to accommodate the larger keypad.

So I ended up opting for the upgraded AKE5BH keypad instead of getting out all of my tools to have at the side of the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

You're welcome! Hope it works out good for you! I'm planning to get mine installed next week!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Can both of you provide an update after you get these installed to let me know how it went. My touch pad is still working but based on similar posts to yours I would expect mine to fail at some point since all our coaches are the same age.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Can both of you provide an update after you get these installed to let me know how it went. My touch pad is still working but based on similar posts to yours I would expect mine to fail at some point since all our coaches are the same age.

Jim, as I stater earlier, mine got really hard to push before it quit completely. I hope to get it installed Monday. It's an exact replacement for the old one so should be a 15 minute job!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard, I just tried to install my keypad and the new one is WAAY too small. It just drops right through the hole!

Not sure what to do about it. I will call Art at A1 Electric Monday and see what he says!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Richard, I just tried to install my keypad and the new one is WAAY too small. It just drops right through the hole!

Not sure what to do about it. I will call Art at A1 Electric Monday and see what he says!
Let me know what he says. I have it in my little hands. I was going to wait until you finished before starting on mine.

If these have to go back I am sure glad to have not gotten too far into the project.

Dr4Film ----- Richard