Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

I have found Eternabond to be an excellent product, but it is pretty pricey.

I've heard that there is a similar product that is much more economical.

a. Does anyone know of an equivilant product to Eternabond? Does it perform as well?

b. Does anyone have a source for Eternabond that has a better price then their website? www.eternabond.com There, for a 37' length of 4" wide tape the cost is $72 plus $11.75 shipping for a total of $83.75

Any help would be much appreciated!
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #2

a. Does anyone know of an equivilant product to Eternabond? Does it perform as well?

b. Does anyone have a source for Eternabond that has a better price then their website? www.eternabond.com There, for a 37' length of 4" wide tape the cost is $72 plus $11.75 shipping for a total of $83.75

Any help would be much appreciated!
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #3

Skip

Do not know what eternabond is, but if its the tape you seal windows, doors and roofs with, LOWES has the tape in different sizes. Its in the roofing dept. I got some for the leak I had over one of my vents in the roof on our motor home and it worked real good. Its kind of tar like with a sliver backing. Works and looks good. s/Toby
Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip- Ingram, TX:

Any help would be much appreciated! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.koolseal.com/product_deta...duct_id=40-321

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...47&src=SRCH&tcode=37

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...?productid=111

You can find this product at Home Depot, Lowes and suppliers of stress skin panels for room additions.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 AM   #5

I bought mine here: ETERNABOND 2"x50' roll $23.95, 4"x50' roll $44.95. Eternabond is cheap at any price compared to caulking.

Take the time to clean and prepare the area before applying the Eternabond and I think the stuff will last a lifetime.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #6

I got mine from a source I found using Google. I got 2 rolls of the 4" X 50' and did the entire roof of my Pace Arrow around the edges and at all the fittings on the roof. This was done as a preventitive measure and I never had a leak. Eternabond was originally designed to seal underwater cables while still underwater. A drop of two of water will not harm your installation in any way. The 4" will bridge any caulk that you may have on your roof. Silicone is the one thing it will not stick to. Don't go with cheap imitations. If you are doing the work do it once and be done with it.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don't buy Eternabond in RV stores and it isn't so pricey. There are excellent several sources online and local hardware stores may have it as well. There is nothing special about the RV type and the white-backed stuff is available for use on non-RV roofs as well. The silver backed Eternabond also works fine on RV roofs if that matches your needs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Try roofing supply distributors, it's used on residential and commercial roofs.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
I put the fabric backed type EB on about three years or so ago. According to the guy at EB it fits rounded areas better than the plastic backed. I didn't know doodly about either kind but read a lot on various forums.
When I got the stuff I split the 4" stuff down to 2". I cleaned all the caulk from the side seams from the factory application and recaulked. I knew I would never want to do this job again so I added the EB on top of the new caulk job. Now the fabric backed has to be painted with the UV resistant paint to keep the fabric from degrading. I also did this. Took about two days to do the recaulk and the EB application.

I just finished the spring cleanup today, washing the roof and scrubbing the EB along the roof/gutter seams. It is still looking as good as the day I put it on and still stuck tight. Now the fabric backed has a bit rougher surface than the white plastic back and thus holds mildew somewhat. If I were doing it today, I would probably use the plastic back, simply to avoid having to scrub the mildew/black streaks off the seam tape.

This is good stuff and I don't regret anything about it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #10

Thanks to all for their responses, and especially to Bill who provided a great link to Eternabond at a greatly reduced price from what I had been able to find.

This here's a great forum!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 AM   #11

I checked out the URL for the Kool Patch tape listed by NeilV.

The price at CW is $3 for 2" by 3'6" piece. By my calculations that comes out to $42.86 for 50'.

That's nearly twice as much for the same amount of Eternabond at N8XV's source. So maybe Eternabond is not so pricey after all.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #12

Considering the astronomical repair cost and devaluation of your coach from just one leak Eternabond is cheap insurance.

I keep some in the tool box just in case my rubber roof decides to tackle a low branch.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #13

I ordered a 4"X50' roll of Eternabond tape from Best Materials LLC. The cost including shipping and handling (via UPS ground) was $59.05- a huge savings over Eternabond's offering.

Thanks everyone for your responses.