Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
When inspecting my roof, I noticed that the Dicor that the factory spread along the awning edge (curb side) was lifting. Poked around and found dirt underneath.

Click image to enlarge - click on "Full Size" (Upper right) just above "Other Sizes" to see an even bigger picture.

I bought some Eternabond 4" white (large roll) and some Dicor 501 LSW to reseal it.

As you can see, this bolt on section provides the support for the awning.

Problem is, the thin sections of the old Dicor is stuck really well. I want a smooth application of the Eternabond directly to the fiberglass roof, not on top of old Dicor.

How best to get the remaining off that is well stuck to the roof? I have tried a putty knife and razor blades.

Suggestions?

Note. I thought about bringing the coach into the dealer, but, I would rather do it myself and MAKE SURE it sticks forever!!

Any pointers?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When inspecting my roof, I noticed that the Dicor that the factory spread along the awning edge (curb side) was lifting. Poked around and found dirt underneath.

Click image to enlarge - click on "Full Size" (Upper right) just above "Other Sizes" to see an even bigger picture.

I bought some Eternabond 4" white (large roll) and some Dicor 501 LSW to reseal it.

Problem is, the thin sections of the old Dicor is stuck really well. I want a smooth application of the Eternabond directly to the fiberglass roof, not on top of old Dicor.

How best to get the remaining off that is well stuck to the roof? I have tried a putty knife and razor blades.

Suggestions?

Note. I thought about bringing the coach into the dealer, but, I would rather do it myself and MAKE SURE it sticks forever!!

Any pointers?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You are going in the right direction. It will not be easy but get teh biggest part off the fiberglas and then use a mild solvent like mineral spirits to clean the rest of the lap sealant off. You might try a scotch bite pad to help get the last of the film off. Wash and let dry before installing the Eternabond tape.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gordon:

Suggestions?

Any pointers?[/QUOTE

On a 5ver that we used to own, I took a metal putty knife about 1-2 inches wide and angled it at 40-45 degrees. I then took a heatgun on low and let it blow partially on the metal putty knife and the old caulk. It softened the caulk enough that I was able to remove it. The key is to be careful and don't gouge the roof. The n clean per the recommendations of RV Wizard. If you do use the Eternabond(GOOD STUFF), recommend that you also purchase a small wooden/metal roller and rool the tape after its applied.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/roof_repair.aspx
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a laminate roller (like you use when you put new counter top material on) - called a "J Roller". It has a metal handle with a 4" hard rubber roller on it. It's ideal for this.

Guess I will go to Home Depot and look for a heat gun. I have a couple of other applications I could use it for, so - any excuse for a new tool!!!!

I guess I am a little surprised that the caulk didn't last as long as it should have. Heck! I only bought it in January!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I realize that most roof maintenance is usually the owners responsibility but if you just bought it in Jan of 07 and the dealer is close, I would be inclined to take it back and raise more h*ll than a fat lady going the wrong way on a one-way train. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of quality on your type of coach.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
I realize that most roof maintenance is usually the owners responsibility but if you just bought it in Jan of 07 and the dealer is close, I would be inclined to take it back and raise more h*ll than a fat lady going the wrong way on a one-way train. If nothing else, I would at minimum write a scathing letter to the dealer with a copy to the manufacture indicating my displeasure. All to often we as consumers don't bother to voice our complaints on the all to frequent poor quality of our various units and this I believe doesn't give the manufactures any initiative to improve.
There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of quality on your type of coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
I realize that most roof maintenance is usually the owners responsibility but if you just bought it in Jan of 07 and the dealer is close, I would be inclined to take it back and raise more h*ll than a fat lady going the wrong way on a one-way train. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of quality on your type of coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same, I could not believe the condition and sloppy sealant appliction.

fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote