Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #1

Eternabond tape - bad

I just found water coming thru my skylight into the shower and of course wetting the ceiling material. I found the the eternabond tape that I had used 5 years ago to go around all the roof openings was starting to crack and opening up, and letting water get under it at the skylight. the tape has a 10 year warranty on it , so I called them twice but they won't call me back, pretty poor
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Was this the original Eternabond or a knock off? I had Entenabond on my last coach since 2003 and never saw the first signs of ageing in 11 years. This is also the first time I have ever heard of any Eyernabond problem in as many years on the forums.

The original Eternabond carries a 15 year warranty and why I wondered if you used the real Eternabond http://www.eternabond.com/v/vspfiles...Tape-final.pdf
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of the tape itself failing, but plenty of problem with inadequate application of it. If the surface isn't clean, or if old caulk underneath continues to crack or comes loose, the Eternabond can't hold.

I've got some on a metal outbuilding at home, used to cover a 4x6" hole from a large falling tree branch. I put it on as a temporary fix 11 years ago and it is still holding firm.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Eternabond has a newer product out called Sticknbond. Most RV dealers I have gone to only carry the Sticknbond now. Seems to have more stretch. I have seen Eternbond tape that has cracked. Usually after it has been painted over top of it.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
After applying Eternabond on my last coach as soon as we brought it home......the new coach will get it as soon as it cools off here in FL. I won't wait until the caulking starts cracking, I will apply it to the new roof like it did before and never had a roof problem in the 11 years of ownership.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Never saw Ebond split. I used it several years ago when the only thing you could get was the fabric backed stuff you had to paint the UV protection paint on. When rolled on firmly and painted with two coats, it was absolutely great. Hope you cleaned the surface very thoroughly before you applied the tape and then pressed out all the air bubbles and making all the 'sticky' get activated.
Applying on inside and outside corners can be a challenge, especially as sticky as that stuff is and still getting a good seal.
Hope you can get it straightened out and a good seal
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Never saw Ebond split. I used it several years ago when the only thing you could get was the fabric backed stuff you had to paint the UV protection paint on. When rolled on firmly and painted with two coats, it was absolutely great. Hope you cleaned the surface very thoroughly before you applied the tape and then pressed out all the air bubbles and making all the 'sticky' get activated.
Applying on inside and outside corners can be a challenge, especially as sticky as that stuff is and still getting a good seal.
Hope you can get it straightened out and a good seal
My new MH had some eterna bond tape that split sitting in AZ and NV sun in the summer. Just in a few places where fiber glass roof meet end caps fore and aft. Cleaned it up and put Sticknbond over top. All repairable. No leaks. Could have been the way it was applied. It does crack. Probably why they put out the new product Sticknbond.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

i found that the eternabond tape that i put over any self leveling caulk that was put on by the manufacture is also reacting to the tape in the same way as my skylite. it is only happening when put over these caulk areas. their instructions and advertising says the tape can be used over any caulk other then "silicone". well , either i have faulty tape or their intructions are not correct. the white surface coating has become very thin and shrinking , yet the gray gum is still pretty solid other when driving rain is pressuring at the tape

Tags
eternabond