Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #15

I have always had a project around. It keeps my mind keen. I still troubleshoot for others also. There is that sense of accomplishment that comes when you figure out what was causing an issue.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 03:56 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
If it didn't need me to attend to it pretty regularly and have me constantly eyeing ways to make improvements I would lose interest in it.

The same disease affects guy into antique motorcycles and old British sports cars. Probably any number of hobbyists.

My vehicles that do daily duty and take me to work are different, I don't want to fool with them. I just want them to do their jobs. It's the ones I keep around simply because I like them that get the attention. My RV is one of those.
That was very well said.
Tinkering with the RV is relaxation time - before that it was boats. It does me good, and it helps to keep things properly functioning (or new things added) in the RV.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
EJW

You folks who can tinker are fortunate! If I could tinker around fixing and adding stuff, I would keep doing it myself.

Despite my dad being a mechanic and my brother getting those genes. I was left out. Give me 20,000 rows of data to wrangle, or a technology issue and I am fine. Give me a screwdriver, I am not.

I've always said, I would pay to be an apprentice and see how you knowledgable, mechanical folks do it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW View Post
You folks who can tinker are fortunate! If I could tinker around fixing and adding stuff, I would keep doing it myself.

I've always said, I would pay to be an apprentice and see how you knowledgable, mechanical folks do it.
Learn by doing.
No different than your computer skills.
And, since you have computer skills, that means you think logically. Very important for tinkering / repair.
Find a friend who does mechanical well but isn't as experienced with computers and swap experiences.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Learn by doing.
No different than your computer skills.
And, since you have computer skills, that means you think logically. Very important for tinkering / repair.
Find a friend who does mechanical well but isn't as experienced with computers and swap experiences.
You'd be the perfect troubleshooter, it's all about following a flow-chart.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have upgraded and customized our 11 year old fifth wheel that I can't stand the thought of getting a newer model and starting all over again. Upgrading the new truck with a CB radio, camera monitor, TPMS, and Sirus cradle (basically rebuilding the console) was enough for me.
Get your ham radio license and there'll be a whole new world of radio stuff to buy and install. Getting a license is much easier now that there's no Morse code requirement. Details at:

ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No enjoyment if you can’t tinker with it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I do everything on mine myself... I replaced a 6500 lp with a QD7500 .. ACs replaced ..water pump starter... cleaned all the relays (dayumm theres a lot) 4 shocks up front added a Safety + steering stablizer , crossfire tire equilizer... 77,000 miles and we run down the road like a Gray-Hound pup! I Like to tinker / enjoy your ride !
Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Never stop I’d say !!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #24

Tinkeritis.....what a subject....to some extent it is ingrained in all of us. Speaking for myself i find starting one job and finishing that job is imperative to long term sanity....Usually it starts with something as simple as hanging a picture and then making sure the environment fits the picture one has just hung....that reminds me now that the picture finally fits i really need to something about......
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #25

I enjoy love mechanical things. The motorhome is the perfect thing for me to tinker with. I have made numerous upgrades to it. There is always another upgrade to do. Couldn’t imagine selling it at this point. I’m just finally getting it close to how I want it. But let’s face it, you’re never done!
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I enjoy love mechanical things. The motorhome is the perfect thing for me to tinker with. I have made numerous upgrades to it. There is always another upgrade to do. Couldn’t imagine selling it at this point. I’m just finally getting it close to how I want it. But let’s face it, you’re never done!
Yep .... always upgrading
Old 10-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #27

I gotta be busy, tinkering with the RV is an inside job, our MH has it's own 60'x40' garage; In other words, a rainy day job.
DW OTOH, says I do too much tinkering with the MH. So, I oblige her, I go tinker with the farm tractor on sunny days. Once she said I was away from the house too much, so I drove the farm tractor down to the house to tinker with it.(It's garage/barn is 1/4 mile away)
Once she commented, I was away too much, I quickly thought of a snappy comeback, reality set-in and I kept my mouth shut.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #28

Heh. We have about an acre. DW revealed her trick to narrowing down where I am in that acre. She looks for the dog. If the dog greets her at the door it means I am in the shop. No dog means I'm outdoors somewhere. Dog checks on me but doesn't care to hang out in the shop. But if I am outside I am not allowed to do anything at all without close canine supervision.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote