Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Exceeding Weight Limitations

A friend just bought a motorhome with a GVWR of 22,000# and GCWR of 26,000#. This allows for a toad to tip the scales at 4000#. But, if he wants to tow a car weighing 4500#, is it ok to limit loading the MH to 21,500# so as to not exceed the GCWR? The hitch is rated for 5000#. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
That's what the ratings mean. GVCR is Gross Vehicle Combined Rating. Reducing the limit in the RV is good for his tires, brakes, etc. Just don't let him fill the toad with stuff that takes it's weight over 5,000 #, the hitch limit. Also be sure the toad has auxillary brakes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. That's what I always thought but another RVer I chatted with said differently. His convoluted thought process disallowed for such a calculation and said the 4000# was a hard number. Period. He couldn't articulate why so I decided I'd see what others had to say to make sure I did understand it correctly.

The trouble will come when my friend's wife starts loading up the new motorhome and staying below 22,000#. I've already advised her to leave her cast iron skillet set at home.

Keith
Old 10-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

No! If he gets a ticket or is in an accident, no matter whose fault, If his rig (MH and toad GVCR) exceeds the GVCR of the MH, he will at best get a ticket and fine. It will be even worse if an attorney gets involved. He may lose his whole estate.

We must all remember it is the rating that counts, not the actual weight. Be warned!

I have just finished researching this question with SC and NC DMV and LE. It ain't pretty.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #5

How will the insurance company know the weight after an accident. Not going to happen.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
No! If he gets a ticket or is in an accident, no matter whose fault, If his rig (MH and toad GVCR) exceeds the GVCR of the MH, he will at best get a ticket and fine. It will be even worse if an attorney gets involved. He may lose his whole estate.

We must all remember it is the rating that counts, not the actual weight. Be warned!

I have just finished researching this question with SC and NC DMV and LE. It ain't pretty.

Good Luck!
Wil
Please explain how he will get a ticket or lose his whole estate with the ratings and numbers Keith explained. No ratings were exceeded. Also, can you site a case where a person lost his estate because of an RV accident?

Bob & Donna
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Wil-The GCWR wouldn't be exceeded. The total would still be 26,000# if the MH is 21,500 + 4500 for the toad = 26,000# total. Am I missing something here?

Keith
Old 10-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

Just to add a little on this problem:

The rig will seldom be weighed by LE. They will just read the nameplate in the MH and toad. The consequences will flow from what LE finds in those places.

But don't take any poster's word for it, including mine, contact LE yourself. And don't give someone advice that may be incorrect. You could be liable for a law suit if that advice caused him to break the law.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

I don't think the OP stated the GVCV of the toad. If the toad actually weighs 4500 lbs., I'd be surprised that its GVCR will be any less. You must look at both ratings and use the total of both.

Remember that the total GVCR of both units is the controlling factor.

Take the facts to LE and get an official answer. I got mine. Just be sure and safe.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
Just to add a little on this problem:

The rig will seldom be weighed by LE. They will just read the nameplate in the MH and toad. The consequences will flow from what LE finds in those places.

But don't take any poster's word for it, including mine, contact LE yourself. And don't give someone advice that may be incorrect. You could be liable for a law suit if that advice caused him to break the law.

Good Luck!
Wil
But Keith said the RV owner would lower the weight of the MH to compensate for the 4,500# toad. No ratings will be exceeded in his scenario. And, as I asked before, can you site any RVer that has been ticketed or sued for being at or near the GCWR? I've searched and never found one.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelsyde View Post
How will the insurance company know the weight after an accident. Not going to happen.
I always wonder the same thing when folks start talkin' about liability-for-overtow. Maybe I'm missing something- anybody ever seen a crew out there after a wreck, sweeping up all the debris and taking it away to be weighed?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

Well, this is my last go at this.
It doesn't make any difference how much the weight is lowered. The GVCR stays the same. The MH actual weight could be lowered to 10 lbs., and the GVCR will dtill be the same.

The same applies to the toad. Both GVCR must be =< the total together or individually. Let's not continue the argument. Just ask the LE. Then do what they say.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
A friend just bought a motorhome with a GVWR of 22,000# and GCWR of 26,000#. This allows for a toad to tip the scales at 4000#. But, if he wants to tow a car weighing 4500#, is it ok to limit loading the MH to 21,500# so as to not exceed the GCWR? The hitch is rated for 5000#. Thanks.
Forgot to address the actual question, I was so distracted by the "legal question". Assuming we can put that issue aside for the moment:

In my opinion, it's best to have a BIT of a buffer when it comes to ratings of all kinds. Cutting it that close would be uncomfortable for me, not because I'm nervous about weight-related liabilities, but only for fear of overtaxing the equipment. I use tires whose capacity exceeds the weight of the vehicles they're on, for example.

But some view this approach as hypercautious- my own Husband among them!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #14

Wil-I understand what you are saying. I just never read anywhere that the max weight rating on the toad was the limiting factor. People just generalize about the actual weight. The motorhome manufacturers certainly don't bring up that point.

Francesca-I'm with you. I relax and enjoy things when I have a margin for error and safety. That's why I have a 35' gasser on a 24,000# chassis and tow a Jeep that is well under the limit, even using the max Wil's investigation revealed.

My friend bought a 37' on a 22,000# chassis. He'll have to be careful.

Tags
weight