Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 4,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Remember that catalysts "eat up" hydrocarbons. This means that they can cover up oil consumption by eating the smoke that is produced by an engine that "Burns" oil.

You might want to try this:

Disconnect the exhaust pipe before the catalyst and run the engine. See if any grey/blue smoke comes out. If it does, follow standard diagnostics for oil consumption.

That may explain why he had to have his catalytic converters replaced. Best find the problem or he may have to replace them again...Ouch.
__________________

__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
My son once told me "Daddy, a part of me hurts." Of course he was 4 at the time.
Rich n Linda and yourself are a great help

Save your stupid comments !!!!
__________________

__________________
calmike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmike4fun View Post
Rich n Linda and yourself are a great help

Save your stupid comments !!!!

Although off topic posts can be a little irritating, and don't help original poster address their issues, calling people stupid is perhaps not the best attitude to gain friends on this forum.

Others are trying to help. You might want to restrict your responses to those posters.
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,314
Cat converters will be toast if run too rich...o2 sensor gets tired causing rich condition resulting in failure.

Too much oil same thing.

So assume real bad condition and start troubleshooting.

The computer will compensate the best it can so sometimes observations can be wrong.

However that much oil will be obvious.

Start by tooling up for a compression test and checking vacuum.

Do vacuum first as it is easy and it may show low vacuum indicating leak.

Buy or borrow a cimpressiin tester and get one with an extension hose.

Vacuum Guage is basic.

Many auto parts places load or rent them.

You need to pull all the plugs to do it properly and "reading the plugs" is what we did in the old days.

Look at them to see what they tell you.

A wet one or heavy carbon will indicate issues

Get masking tape to label each one as you pull them out.

Once out do compression test.

Take notes and photos of plugs for us to see and advise.

Leaky intake can cause this as can bad rings.
__________________
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,247
I have never heard of any vehicle losing 2.5 quarts of oil in 150 miles without any sign of leak, smoke or something so I am very curious what may be the cause of this mystery. Will there be any updates I wonder?
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 PM   #34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Cat converters will be toast if run too rich...o2 sensor gets tired causing rich condition resulting in failure.

Too much oil same thing.

So assume real bad condition and start troubleshooting.

The computer will compensate the best it can so sometimes observations can be wrong.

However that much oil will be obvious.

Start by tooling up for a compression test and checking vacuum.

Do vacuum first as it is easy and it may show low vacuum indicating leak.

Buy or borrow a cimpressiin tester and get one with an extension hose.

Vacuum Guage is basic.

Many auto parts places load or rent them.

You need to pull all the plugs to do it properly and "reading the plugs" is what we did in the old days.

Look at them to see what they tell you.

A wet one or heavy carbon will indicate issues

Get masking tape to label each one as you pull them out.

Once out do compression test.

Take notes and photos of plugs for us to see and advise.

Leaky intake can cause this as can bad rings.
thank you for the info. will start to get to the bottom of this asap
__________________
calmike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I have never heard of any vehicle losing 2.5 quarts of oil in 150 miles without any sign of leak, smoke or something so I am very curious what may be the cause of this mystery. Will there be any updates I wonder?
yes i will keep you updated on this mystery. Will be going on another short trip to the beach . I will be checking oil prior , during , and after we get back
__________________
calmike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 4,819
I'm curious about the oil and filter you use and how often you change it.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious about the oil and filter you use and how often you change it.
He said in post #14 he uses 5w/30, no mention of filter. Not much need to change either considering he goes through an oil change per tank of gas.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:17 AM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
He said in post #14 he uses 5w/30, no mention of filter. Not much need to change either considering he goes through an oil change per tank of gas.

not sure on the oil filter i believe my RV mech is using ac delco filter.

i will start checking out : cooling system contamination and oil leves prior to my trip to the beach.

then going to start digging deeper into this mystery.
__________________
calmike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,314
Avoid driving unit until this is solved as the cats will be toast again...They fail fast under these conditions.

You may consider removing them until fixed or needing to smog again...
__________________
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Avoid driving unit until this is solved as the cats will be toast again...They fail fast under these conditions.

You may consider removing them until fixed or needing to smog again...

Good call i will probably do just that.
__________________

__________________
calmike4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 Cummins ISC 350 8.3 oil consumption Tom&Marie Cummins Engines 7 11-20-2009 05:56 PM
Oil consumption Ron & Dee Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 34 06-19-2008 06:57 PM
Trip Trivia = fuel & oil consumption & oil analysis j griff Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 41 04-30-2008 12:20 PM
Oil consumption Magic Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 60 11-29-2007 02:36 PM
Work Horse Oil Consumption Free2RV Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 21 05-18-2007 06:52 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.