Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake Stuck

I believe mine is stuck open and rusty. Any ideas how to break loose without leaving so much oil residue that I start a fire or smoke like crazy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #2

There is nothing on a Jake Brake that would rust or stick. Are you sure you have a Jake, or do you have an exhaust brake? They are two completely different things.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
KIX

You may need to remove it to get it freed up then clean and re-install it. I can't think of anything you could use to lube and free it up that wouldn't leave combustibles. On second thought a truck parts house would have a high temp lubricant that may work with several applications.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours was so stuck I could not get it to budge. I soaked it for days in penetrating oil, heated it, and beat on it with a big hammer. It would not move.
I had to replace it, not cheap.
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe you have an exhaust brake. Access the engine and check the actuation cylinder to see if it moves. Applying force with a screw driver. If it moves through the length of the cylinder stroke the problem is not the exhaust brake. It is in the signaling from the switch to the cylinder. I had a similar problem and discovered a wire in the back of the actuation switch on dash had pulled out. I had to remove the dash to discover the wire problem. After I replaced the wire all is well. Hope this helps.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a exhaust brake made by Jacob. Now tell me, do I have a jake brake?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

Sorry yes mine is an exhaust brake. I've already taken a look at it and assured it does not move. Haven't unhooked the cylinder to verify it moves but I know the small cylinder would not be able to move the lever anyway.
If it is stuck how much did a replacement cost@?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Rob, if that's a PacBrake like mine, the manufacturer has a special spray lubricant that they recommend to lube the piston. You might want to get a can of that and try it before replacing the brake.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
They can be freed up. I had my Pacbrake seized up and tried to spray it with every kind of lubricant known to man. Nothing worked from the outside.

I took the coach to my mechanic and he removed it, soaked it and used an air hammer on it and finally freed it up. Works fine now.

It costs about $375 to do the repair. Seems to me a new Pacbrake is about $900-$1100 for the part alone.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #10

Oh trust me I will exhaust every option to brake it loose first. (no pun intended). I did look online and saw prices from 750 to 1200 so significant motivation to loosen it up. The lubricant you speak of is for the cylinder not the pivot pt of the actual butterfly valve correct?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
You will have better luck if you remove the Pacbrake. The lubricant needs to get to the inside butterfly valve. In particular, at the base.

There are only a couple of collar connections and the valve connection to remove to get it out.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

Oh good I was wondering how hard that would be to remove. Hopefully not to bad. Might be a good project while I wait for spring.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rob....I'm guessing you have a side radiator so I'm not sure how access will be if it's up against a wall. If you can get to it, it's less intimidating than it looks. It's not like messing with rusted/seized manifold bolts. Even if the bolts are bad on the two collars, you can simply replace the collars.

You're biggest expense is the labor which sounds like you'll do yourself. Now I'm going to TEASE you......PacBrake came out with a more efficient version of your brake a few years ago. It has more braking power than your current exhaust brake. It won't be night and day difference (well it will be for you if yours hasn't been working), but it's a nice upgrade. It's the PacBrake PRXB model. If you hunt around, they're about $850.00. It might be a nice upgrade to your coach.

Look how shiney and new it is!

http://www.pacbrake.com/uploads/imag...Mount_PRXB.png
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #14

Yea if for some reason I can't get this one working I would defiantly upgrade. And yes I will be doing it myself. I do have side radiator but this is all assessable from the top. Lift up the floor in my bedroom and its right there. Which is why I was a but concerned with too much oil or smoke from penetrating oil.
I do most everything myself. Already replaced all 8 shocks and did yearly maint with filters last year.
I'm more familiar with gas engines but I'm learning

Tags
brake