Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Exhaust Manifold on a 8.1

Just found out I have a bolt missing on the right side of my Sun Cruiser, do I need to have it fixed before I leave on a 2200 mile trip or wait till I get back! I leaving in two weeks! What kind of cost could I expect with it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

Yes, you should. We had a couple of nuts on the very aft right bank that didn't like to stay tight on the manifold. Finally put star lock washers under the nuts and that fixed the noise and exhaust leak. I would also have the rest of the bolts checked for proper torque while replacing the manifold stud and nut.

I found out the hard way that the engine compartment is always pressurized while driving and trying to get into the cabin via the doghouse. You don't want any exhaust fumes trying to get past those dog house seals.

Edit: About cost, not sure. We still had the manifold stud and I did the work myself. That right manifold is pretty easy to get to on our model, so if there's no additional problems, should be a fairly easy install, maybe an hour's time.??

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

Is the bolt broke off in the hole or is the bolt missing? If missing I'd just put in a new one, if it's broke off I'd leave it until it starts to leak. You may be opening up a can of worms trying to remove it. When you try to remove the manifold to get to the broken bolt more bolts may break and be in a spot that is impossible to drill out while in the vehicle. Then your pulling the head to get it removed. If it never leaks and you sell it you've saved yourself a lot of work and or money...
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
the issue now is that it is leaking already, not a lot but when you first crank it up! Once the engine is warm I can't tell!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #5

A good flashlight and mirror will let you know if the stud is broken(unless your doghouse only has a small access panel, you should be able to do the inspection from the top...doghouse removed).

As the engine heats up around the stud, it may have vibrated out...here's hope'n. If the stud is broken, it sometimes can be pilot holed and taken out with an ez out. If the stud is in a difficult position, well, that can get a little expensive. At any rate, the leak can only get worse...IMO, you should get it taken care of.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote