Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #1

I have a 93 coachmen class a on a 92 f53 chassis with a ford 460 engine. I am looking at putting on dual exhaust and doing away with the catalytic converter, what are your thoughts and or experiences? I was at a muffler shop and the price for a new catalytic converter is $1300. I have heard of this being done with test pipes and others have done it permanently without any problems. thanks for your replies

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #2

I have a 93 coachmen class a on a 92 f53 chassis with a ford 460 engine. I am looking at putting on dual exhaust and doing away with the catalytic converter, what are your thoughts and or experiences? I was at a muffler shop and the price for a new catalytic converter is $1300. I have heard of this being done with test pipes and others have done it permanently without any problems. thanks for your replies

Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd be finding a different shop. You can buy the converter for less than $400 online.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I don't know where you live but there are a bunch of states that really frown on anyone removing the converters and some states or maybe federial law can impose fines ect for removal of one.Most states check your emissions and if the converter is missing they will know and you could be in hot water. Check with auto-zone or J.C. Witney and see what there prices are. Like SacsTC said they are out there and not that expencive.I know that some have put Headers on and duel converters and kept the emissions down in spec.
Good luck with your system and let us know if you need any other help! Capt
Wallaby Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgren:
I have a 93 coachmen class a on a 92 f53 chassis with a ford 460 engine. I am looking at putting on dual exhaust and doing away with the catalytic converter, what are your thoughts and or experiences? I was at a muffler shop and the price for a new catalytic converter is $1300. I have heard of this being done with test pipes and others have done it permanently without any problems. thanks for your replies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not do away with the cat as the law requires it. $1300 seems a very extreme price most charge less than $500 for them. If you want to go dual there are other options.

Check out:

http://www.a-1performance.com/rv/index.htm
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #6

My dad paid close to that $1300 for his cat on his 93 ford e-350.He has been going to the same old school shop for years.I offered to help him find something cheaper,but he is convinced that shop is taking care of him. I know in Ma. they are very strict about the cat,if you want duals why not a cat-back system?Either way its gonna be spendy.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps the first question is "what are you trying to accomplish" with these exhaust system mods? If it's performance improvement you want, something like a Banks (or similar other brand, e.g. Thorley) set-up with tuned headers and larger exhaust will help and still be legal in all states.

Getting rid of the cat or adding duals from cat back will accomplish little except lightening your wallet [in my opinion]. Duals all the way from the headers might help a bit, but you really need better headers to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust system.

You could also take the same money and apply it to trading up to a rig on a 96-98 Ford chassis, which is a better performer in all regards. They made a lot of progress on engine controls in those years and they were also increasing the F53 chassis load capacity as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

Since this is our first RV we are not ready to trade up. We bought this to use next summer on a 2 wk trip with my wifes parents. We were going to rent but I decided to purchase one to use the rental fee of $3500 to get started. I am looking for a little better fuel economy and also a little more power.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I know a fellow camper who has a Ford 460 in a John Deere chassis who had problems with the 460 warping the exhaust manifolds. For that reason, he replaced the manifolds with Thorley headers and dual exhausts from the headers back. He was fortunate in that Pennsylvania did not require a Cat on his year rig so he just run muffler and the pipes.

From his experience, you might gain a slight power improvement, and improve the mileage a little bit, but don't make the investment thinking it will pay for itself.

You'd have to drive zillions of miles to get the savings from the fuel economy alone to pay for the headers and new exhaust. On the other hand, if they need replaced anyway, putting a freeier flowing system on will help.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">something like a Banks (or similar other brand, e.g. Thorley) set-up with tuned headers and larger exhaust will help and still be legal in all states. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Still does not get rid of the cat converter.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You would have to get substantially better mpg to hope to pay for the exhaust re-work and the steps you propose will little, if any, positive effect on mileage. You would be better off using the money to fill the gas tank.

A complete exhaust job, i.e. new headers & full exhaust, would probably help some on a 93, but would cost even more. Again, not likely to pay for itself in less than several years. Probably longer if you travel less than 10,000 annually.

An auxiliary transmission, e.g. the Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive would likely have the most potential to help your mileage, but that's pricey too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I had a 1994 E-350 Clubwagon with 460. I pulled a trailer at 5000#. The problem I had was valves chattering noise, like the sound of an old IBM Selectric typewritter, when pulling loaded in the mountains.

I consulted a custom exhaust man who told me that dual exhaust is more expensive and WILL NOT (that is what he said) improve gas milage. He insisted on leaving the stock Y pipe and catalytic converter shell, then adding a towing muffler (low back pressure) and 3" pipe. He charged me $250.00. The unloaded MPG increased 1+, the towing MPG increased + AND the valves never chattered again pulling hard in the mountains. The only down side was the towing muffler was also a loud muffler.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #13

i put a banks on my 95 F53 in 2000 and it didn't have a converter when new. maybe beause it's a 18000lb chassis?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeepfreak:
i put a banks on my 95 F53 in 2000 and it didn't have a converter when new. maybe beause it's a 18000lb chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Federal EPA / engine exhaust emissions have been increasing ever since their inception in 1975. I believe they are based upon the GVWR of the vehicle. So it is possible that your 1995 with 18,000# GVWR did not have a catalytic converter.

I once had a 1984 E-350 (8750# GVWR) with 460 engine did not have a catalytic converter. Later, I had a 1994 E-350 (8800# GVWR) with 460 and it did have a catalytic converter. Just a couple years ago, I had a motor home on a 2000 F-53 (18,000# GVWR) and it too had a catalytic converter.

gm

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote