Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, the inspection was this am and all went well. The guy who came down from Sarasota to do the inspection is actually and "Independent Warranty Claims Adjuster." Seemed like a nice guy and he had some stories to tell--good and horror. Biggest advice he gave me was keep up with the MFR service and keep records and receipts. Now I get the contract and I cough over the $4100.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Note that WW gets you the best price with a 4 year contract. Mine was also a little above $4,000 one time payment. To compare with GS I divided WW by 4 for an annual cost. WW will quote one year but there is a lot of difference in cost.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Note that WW gets you the best price with a 4 year contract. Mine was also a little above $4,000 one time payment. To compare with GS I divided WW by 4 for an annual cost. WW will quote one year but there is a lot of difference in cost.
Does GS give a discount for 4 years?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes they did. Then the 5th year was a nice big increase to $1640 for one year when I had only paid $2600 for the 4 year deal! They did not even offer me another 4 year quote.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #19

Check with the manufacturer, and or dealer you bought it from. I bought mine thru Newmar, and the dealer gave me his cost on it. He didn't pressure me and told me that I had until the original 12 month warranty expired to buy the extended warranty, even though many components of the MH are covered for several years. The cost was a no brainer for me considering all the moving parts and vendor provided components in a MH, so I bought mine at the time of purchase. The warranty covers the MH body bumper to bumper for seven years, while the chassis is covered by Ford for 5 years and 60,000 miles. It just gives me peace of mind in the event a big money item, fridge/AC ect goes out. The nay sayers will say it's a waste of money but either way even if I never have to use it I will be a happy camper that I never had to bring it in.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #20

This stuff is all for the sellers. That's why they sell it. They make money off of the fish they real in an live like kings on your money. Never have bought them on anything, from a washer and dryer from sears to a semi truck. If I break it, I fix it. And I have over twenty vehicles on the road. If my dish washer breaks down, I fix it, and I have four of them and 7 sets of washers and dryers. These people are after one thing, your money. Their getting none of mine!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #21

Extended warranties are funny things. You'll get completely opposite stories every time someone answers the question. I've never had an extended warranty on an RV. I did have one on my house (it came when I bought it). I had 3 or 4 major appliances break, and each time the warranty company had a loophole why it was not covered. My neighbor just a few doors down had the same company and seemed to get everything that broke in their house fixed under coverage.

The extended warranty business only makes sense if you take in more money than you put out. That doesn't mean they are dishonest, just that in the long run it has to be a winner for the warranty company and a looser for their customers. Your milage will probably vary. I saw several posts mentioning a company that they have very good exerienceces with. If you the kind of person who likes the peace of mind extend warranties give, I'd say check them out.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I have been wrong all of these years, I thought the purpose of any business was to make money.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes a business is in business to make money. And RV warranties or service contracts are like health or life insurance--the insurers know that out of 100 people/owners, x number will have problems/claims and x number will never have a problem. All 100 pay premiums based on the x that will have problems and the cost reflects what they may have to pay out plus the profit. Being a FT RV person, your odds of having a problem are higher than a recreational user. Also, as a FT RVer it is your home and if you have a major problem you need it fixed now--you probably don't have the luxury of putting off the problem until you can afford etc. It is an individual decision--what is right for you my not be right for someone else, but that doesn't make you wrong and them right or vice versa. If they were a terrible idea they wouldn't be still be around after all these years. Yes some are better than others just as some RV owners are better than others (at actually taking care of their RV and doing the service and being upfront with the warranty company).
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
What does a transmission going out have to do with engine oil change....?? A guy once told me about another guy who new this guy who said....
It was posted on either this forum or another one and it came direct from the person it happened too.
Yes, it was extreme, but that was the point I was bringing up. The claim on a transmission was denied because he didn't follow the required maintenance.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote