Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Extended Warranties

I am looking for some advice on getting an extended warranty for my class A motorhome. I am looking at Good Sam and Family Motor Coach Assoc. right now but wonder if anyone has had experience with either or any other companies.
We are nearing the end of our first year for our new coach. It is a Thor Windsport 34J Bunkhouse and we really like it.
Anyone that can help, it would be appreciated.
Windsport34J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you decide to purchase one (the naysayers will be along shortly) check out wholesalewarranties.com. I am happy with the price and service they have provided so far.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
If you decide to purchase one (the naysayers will be along shortly) check out wholesalewarranties.com. I am happy with the price and service they have provided so far.
X2 for Wholesalewarranties. I have an Extra Ride policy and they have been fine.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Thumbs up on the wholesale warranty products!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And as was said earlier "the naysayers will be along shortly" so here I am: Consumer Reports says they are not worth the money. I've saved enough over the years to pay for tires and ALL repairs and maintenance over the years. However, we're one of the "lucky" ones that can pay for repairs, up to and including a new engine/transmission by just writing a check and not touch our annuities.
It's just like they say: Do you feel lucky"? If you do then buy the insurance and FOLLOW the rules or you won't get paid.
One person had a transmission go out, tried his service policy, they requested his service records which showed he was 750 miles overdue on an engine oil change so they denied his transmission claim! Extreme? Yes, but within the rules of his policy.
Personally I don't buy them and self insure, others do buy them and a few actually come out ahead. I've never been lucky like that though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
What does a transmission going out have to do with engine oil change....?? A guy once told me about another guy who new this guy who said....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well this subject can drive you crazy if it lets you. I just got my motorhome a little over a month ago. The previous owner had his own garbage hauling company and had 45 trucks. He took very good care of this unit doing all his own maintenance. He even changed the front hubs to "wt" ones and had a complete Banks system installed. It has just over 20k miles on it. Everything is working fine. I checking into several of the warranties offered by various sources and I have been reading this and other forums religiously for the last couple years working up to my purchase. I have also thought that extended warranties were not a great investment. However, with an investment of 100k I decided to make the investment in the "service contract." I went with Wholesale Warranties and they are coming on Sat to do the inspection. This will be the second in 2 months as I paid $600 for an inspection before I bought it. I am hoping I never have to use it but I will do all the required maintenance as called for. It will run to mid 2018 and up to 70k total miles with a $200 deductible. It is not just an RV...it is my home. This thread and several othersI have read and on other forums have had very positive things to say about Wholesale Warranties so that makes me feel good about the investment. I could probably pay for a major repair by cashing in some of my 401k, but I don't think that money should be ear marked for a home repair. Like I said, I hope to never use it, just like I hope my life insurance doesn't pay off until I've come to the decision I'm ready to cash in.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Good Sam warranty, but will be getting an estimate from Wholesale Warranties after reading this thread. Our previous coach, 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire, had the Good Sam warranty, but still cost us over $10K in deductibles and non-covered claims within two years. We now have a 2008 Monaco Diplomat with less than 30K miles, and it seems to be a much more reliable coach than the Newmar. But we still feel we need a warranty in the event of catastrophic repairs. Our experience with Good Sam is that it is expensive, and although they pay quickly for covered repairs, they are critical about claims and often disallow repairs.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #9

In the first 6 months of owning our new Newmar, it was in the shop more than in our possession. 3 microwaves, 2 A/C's plus a list of issues 2 pages long. I have never been one for extended warranties but decided to get one after all these problems. I went with Coach Net due to the extremely good service I have had with them in the past on the road side assistance plan.
The CoachNet plan is very inclusive and the coachnet plan was very reasonably priced in comparison to other plans. My dash AC gave out on me last week, so I'll get to use the plan to have it repaired.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I went with Wholesale Warranties and they are coming on Sat to do the inspection.

Inspection? I never had an inspection when I signed up with Wholesale Warranties. That was two yrs. ago. Is this something new?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Inspection? I never had an inspection when I signed up with Wholesale Warranties. That was two yrs. ago. Is this something new?
Did you buy your vehicle new? I purchased my used from a private owner. It is warranty that is like you get on a new MH, it includes the WD/ DW all electronics etc.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Did you buy your vehicle new? I purchased my used from a private owner. It is warranty that is like you get on a new MH, it includes the WD/ DW all electronics etc.
Mine is a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star. We signed up over the phone while we were on the road, after having cancelled our Good Sam policy because of their mickey mouse ways. Have not had one problem with Wholesale Warranties. Ours is covered from head to toe, including gaskets & seals.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Mine is a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star. We signed up over the phone while we were on the road, after having cancelled our Good Sam policy because of their mickey mouse ways. Have not had one problem with Wholesale Warranties. Ours is covered from head to toe, including gaskets & seals.
Well, maybe it is something new. I did start with them on line but then it went to phone conversations. Tomorrow is the inspection--the guy (independent contractor) called to confirm. WW told me if the inspection goes well then we complete the deal (contract and money). If I change my mind after inspection I pay $250--if I go ahead it is part of the deal.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
After having mine with Good Sam for 5 years and getting a bill for $1642 for one year from them, I called Wholesale Warranties. They quoted me $1100 a year and covered a whole lot more including seals & gaskets that GS did not. The deductible went from $1,000 down to $250. Plus after talking to other mh folks with GS several had been told that a shop wouldn't do the repair because GS was so difficult to deal with & slow pay. Yes, I had to have an inspection and the guy had me drive the coach as part of it so it was a bit of a pain but for the savings I thought it well worth it. Then when I called GS to cancel, I got into a real battle with the person who kept on about the need to have coverage despite the fact I told him I had a new policy. Finally just hung up and wrote cancel on the bill and mailed it back. I just changed to Wholesale in Dec so haven't had any claim but everyone I have talked with said they are easy to deal with and quick to process.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote