Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone had experience with an extended warranty? I'm looking at those offered by Good Sam, Web Direct and Warranty Experts or anything else someone might recommend. HELP!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone had experience with an extended warranty? I'm looking at those offered by Good Sam, Web Direct and Warranty Experts or anything else someone might recommend. HELP!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Motorhomes can get very expensive to fix especially when they're out of warranty. I am considering it.

Last motorhome had a lengthy list of things to get fixed before the season even started. $500.00 diverter valve in AC unit, new electric heater element in the water heater, and plumbing leaks in the gray water system.

I guess I might feel better if I had some kind of protection umbrella however I sure can't stand betting against myself that my motorhome is going to break.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 "¢ 22.5" Tire "¢ Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II "¢ Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>
<font color=red>88 "¢ Robert Yates Racing "¢ 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I had one from Good Sam on my previous rig, paid all the premiums and never used it. Nothing went wrong with it that was covered.

If you stick your 'premium' money in a cookie jar and then when something breaks, reach into the cookie jar and take out a little $$$ to fix the problem, you'll probably come out ahead.

Some folks like them for the peace of mind they get from knowing they're covered for a major catastrophe such as engine failure, blown transmission, etc. Those major repairs are the exception and aren't every day occurrences.

Click here for information on the third annual National iRV2 Rally being held in Nashville in June '03!!

Richard

2002 Hitchhiker Discovery towed with a 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #5

Be VERY careful if you get an extended warranty!!! If it isn't in the warranty as being covered, it ain't covered!
Example: Shear pins in slide outs.I have yet to see a policy that covers this item but it is the most likely item to break on the slide out.
Before you buy the warranty get a copy and read it several times! Remember it only covers what it says is covered. I lost the oil pump on a 460 Ford and it wasn't covered! An attorney asked how the engine lubricated parts are covered if the pump doesn't work and we won but the hassle you have to go thru is unbelieveable.
There are some real crooks out there just hoping something goes wrong.
Good Sam has a good reputation, but, just take time to read what they offer. They leave out some major items as not being covered, Propane control items and electrical, both 24V and 110V.

That's part of the reason I have a Newmar product: 3 year warranty!

Lee,Marge & a watchdog named Tigger. Living Our Dream-Fulltiming!
2001 Kountry Star 3667 DP and a 2002 Saturn L Series
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 AM   #6

If you buy a used motorhome with an extended warranty, be carefull... some companies will not transfer it if there was a claim made.

94 Firan Raven 31Ft. P30, partly paid for :-)
Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
My English is not up to par :-((

Visit my web sites ( in French ) at https://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
JG Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:28 PM   #7

I am a firm believer in extended warranties.

We purchased a policy from our dealer when our unit was new (2001)though Star/Interstate. We were able to fine tune what was covered or not covered, ie ensure that slideouts, etc were covered. We just had to use it when ourcooling unit on the refrig went out. Not only did Star take care of the repair but also paid for the service call.

They were great to work with.

Again you may purchase a policy and never need it but this one usage cost more than we paid for the policy. It's a chance you take.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:11 PM   #8

I am a firm NON-believer in Extended warranties (insurance policies really). There is such huge money being made on these policies, that it's almost impossible to buy anything these days without being hounded by the salesman to buy a "warranty". These warranty companies are gambling that you will NOT have any problems and you are betting that you will. Guess who will come out ahead 90% of the time?

Perhaps that is why consumer organizations advise against their purchase. I know I got burned on a policy, and I read about similar stories all the time in publications such as "Trailer Life" and "Highways".

As was suggested: put the money you would have spent buying on a policy into some kind of account and draw from it as needed. I'll wager you'll have lots of money left over at the end what would have been your policy's term.

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfrog

Cheers
Chris

02 F350 PSD CC 4X4 SB SRW Lariat
02 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G Northwest & Freedom Edition
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #9

slabman, FWIW you might want to look at this thread...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/17252204.cfm

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote