Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Question Extended Warranty

In considering buying a MH, would YOU purchase an extended warranty? Why or why not? Any past experiences, good or bad would be welcomed if you want to share.

Thanks!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

LOVE your Westie!

We purchased our 40DP new nearly five years ago and bought a 7 year extended warranty with it. We bought the EW because we were newbies and wanted peace of mind that we would not get hit with a huge repair bill.

It turns out that we were lucky and bought from a company (EZCare) which has been very easy to work with and paid every claim we've had. They work directly with the shops we've used so I've never even had to have any contact with EZCare at all.

In hindsight, I paid far too much for the EW and fell prey to having the finance manager spring this on us after we had already negotiated the price of the coach. I should have negotiated the EW too.

Would I do it all again? I really don't know. I'm more comfortable with my knowledge of my coach now but I still do like the peace of mind so I'm a bit up in the air on that subject.

Many have posted here that they would never buy an EW because you probably won't "come out ahead" and that these companies are in business to make money so they stack the deck against you. I never really understood that argument since virtually all businesses are in business to make money and I assume the insurance company which carries the policy on my coach is making money too.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #3

I have never and will never buy an extended warranty on anything...except a motorhome. I bought one for each of our last two MH's and, in each case, the EW's have paid out more to me than I paid for the policies. That may be an exception but it certainly worked out in my favor. The reason I opted to buy an EW is because there are so many things on a MH that can fail with most being on the very costly side to repair. Having said the above, I fully recognize that an EW is a gamble for both the purchaser and the company. In most cases, the company is going to win that gamble otherwise they would not be in business. For me, the EW provided a degree of 'peace-of-mind'. You need to weigh the pro's and con's and decide if an EW is the way for you to go. Either way, it's a bit of a gamble ! Some would say that putting the amount of money you would otherwise pay for the EW in an interest bearing account is the better way to go. Good luck! / Larry
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Goodtimes:

If you are buying new most everything will be under warranty for the first year so I would recommend waiting until the first year is almost up.

Be warned that if you buy an EW you will need to keep accurate records and receipts to prove to the EW company that preventative/scheduled maintenance was done or they will find a loophole to disallow any claims.

Personally I wouldn't buy an EW again.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #5

While it may make financial sense not to purchase an extended warranty and instead self insure, some cannot or do not wish to do so. If you feel you need one, be certain you read and understand all the exclusions and maintenance requirements before your purchase. Negotiate the cost of the contract - there is plenty of wiggle room to the seller. We purchased an EW when we bought our new motorhome - paid way less than asking price for it and have been, so far, reasonably pleased with it.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote