Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

I am brand new to the rving lifestyle and have just purchased an extended warranty through Go RV Warranty - RV Shield I and Tire and Wheel program. Has anyone used Go RV Warranty and are they reliable for over the road travel? I need some experienced advice as I have not even picked up our motor home yet.

Thanks,
WayneM
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

GO RV merely sells policies such as your extended warranty - they are not the company you deal with if you have a claim. If you have an RV Shield warranty (service plan), it is them that you call at the Claims phone number on the policy. RV Shield is one of the larger insurers for this type of policy and you should have no trouble getting repairs wherever you go. Just make sure the shop knows they have to get repairs authorized in advance per the procedures shown on the RV Shield policy. Every extended warranty service plan has very strict rules about making claims - be sure you follow them to the letter. Also make sure you understand what is covered - many people have unrealistic expectations because they failed to read all the fine print.

I've had an RV Shield warranty for 4 years and am very satisfied with it. Did not buy it through GO RV, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #3

Go RV Warranty

Thanks Gary for your advice. I appreciate it very much. Question, insurance company on the application is National Auto Care Corporation out of Westerville, Ohio; have you ever heard of them? I have tried to look them up on Best and Weiss websites but no luck. I want to make the best decision on this extended warranty as the dealer where I have purchased the rv from will not accept any extended warranty except the one they offer, which is Xtra Ride. Thanks for your help and much appreciated advice.

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
GO RV merely sells policies such as your extended warranty - they are not the company you deal with if you have a claim. If you have an RV Shield warranty (service plan), it is them that you call at the Claims phone number on the policy. RV Shield is one of the larger insurers for this type of policy and you should have no trouble getting repairs wherever you go. Just make sure the shop knows they have to get repairs authorized in advance per the procedures shown on the RV Shield policy. Every extended warranty service plan has very strict rules about making claims - be sure you follow them to the letter. Also make sure you understand what is covered - many people have unrealistic expectations because they failed to read all the fine print.

I've had an RV Shield warranty for 4 years and am very satisfied with it. Did not buy it through GO RV, though.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The underwriter for the policy is probably too small for AM Best, or not a general insurer. Most states consider these policies to be insurance and are regulated by the state insurance commission, but the insurance industry does not consider them that way.

The underwriter on my RV Shield policy is Butler Financial Solutions of Alabama. I suspect they may re-insure as well, so there may be multiple layers. I've had the policy since November 2006 and have made a dozen claims, all handled promptly. If the repair shop does not accept credit card payment over the phone, I pay with my own credit card or check and I get a check from the company in 2-3 weeks. My own favorite shop stopped accepting direct payment from any policy other than they one they sell, but they still file claim for me and I get reimbursed. Check with your dealer to see if it is the same. Usually the service dept wants to get the repair business anyway, even though the sales dept wants to sell their own service policy. They make big bucks selling these policies.

I'd like to say that all extended warranties are reliable, but there have been a few failures.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

Thanks Gary. Great advice!
Wayne