RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Extended Warranty claim due to lack of maintenance by previous owner

Please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong here. Although I've found this community helpful in all kinds of ways, this is the first time I've posted on a forum.

As background - we purchased a used coach in March of this year. We are third owners. Because there was a lack of maintenance records we also purchase an extended service plan at the same time. The plan was purchased through Wholesale Warranties and is for exclusionary coverage. When I told the salesman that we did not have any maintenance records, I was told that they would inspect the vehicle and would cover any problems not found during that inspection.

Unfortunately we have experienced a significant problem with out Aquahot unit and the service center is proposing that the unit be replaced. When we spoke with the administrator to file a claim they refused coverage because we didn't have any maintenance records prior to our taking possession.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, did they have any success appealing the decision or is my best recourse to cancel the warranty for a refund and learn from this experience?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

schoggismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your contract speak to a service record requirement?

You will likely do this same battle with them on some future item. Get a refund.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Contract says -

Maintenance Requirements: In order to keep this Agreement in effect, You must have the Unit checked and serviced in accordance
with the manufacturer’s recommendations. Failure to follow such recommendations may result in a denial of coverage. You must
retain verifiable receipts for the maintenance services performed. If You perform the actual services, then verifiable receipts showing
purchases of all required parts and materials necessary to perform the maintenance must be retained, along with a statement
showing the date.

There is nothing in the contract addressing maintenance prior to either our taking possession or the origination date of the contract. They did perform an inspection of the unit confirming that everything worked before writing the contract.

Since we've only owned the coach for 6 months and the contract wasn't in effect until we purchased the coach, we feel we have complied with our responsibilities.

Obviously, if they're going to go this route every time we have a claim the contract has not value to us so we might as well pursue a refund. However, the cost of the system replacement will be more than the refund, so we'd like to get them to live up to their obligations.
schoggismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

I would go for a refund, sounds like you could get a lawyer and maybe win but I bet you will have to refight the battle every time something comes up. Sound like a bunch of low life’s to me
kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

What is the failure? Was it not winterized correctly?

As example, if the motor was sludged up from lack of oil changes and the motor seized, then that's a sure failure caused by lack of maintenance.

But, other than putting a nozzle and filter in the aquahot...I can't think of any other maintenance that can cause catastrophic failure (other than freezing it).

So, you might have a leg to stand on.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
NXR

Did they inspect it? That should cover you. Send them a certified letter. They're supposed to be one of the best so I'm surprised by this.

Ray
Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #7

You said: " When I told the salesman that we did not have any maintenance records, I was told that they would inspect the vehicle and would cover any problems not found during that inspection." I'm assuming that was the salesperson at the dealership that sold you the service plan and not a employee of Wholesale Warranties. When reading the coverage clause you posted, it's pretty clear that they (WW) expect traceable documentation of the required maintenance.

Now if the person that did the inspection was a employee of or authorized by WW and amended the contract to state what you said the "salesperson" told you, then you'd be good to go after them.
But I have the feeling that the person that gave you that line about inspection was a salesperson at the dealer who had no authorization to make that statement and was only looking out for his commission. In which case, you might as well get your refund
( good luck)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
NXR

When I talked to Wholesale Warranties they let me know that if I waited to get their contract after my factory warranty was up they would require an inspection. From their salesperson:
----------
Should I Buy an RV Warranty Now or WAIT Until my Factory Warranty has expired?

If you recently purchased your RV or are still under Manufacturer’s Warranty, you may be wondering: Should I buy an extended warranty now, or wait until my current coverage has expired? Get the answer to this question and learn more about the benefits of securing coverage early below:

My RV is under factory warranty, can I wait until it expires to purchase a Wholesale Warranties policy?

You can absolutely wait, but it may not be the best choice for every RVer. The benefit of waiting to purchase is that you can avoid overlapping coverage, but there are many disadvantages to consider as well, including:

• Warranty Companies consider the risk of a vehicle coming out of manufacturer warranty as high, increasing pricing across the board

• The maximum term available to you will be reduced by several years

• When a vehicle is out of factory warranty, a full mechanical inspection is required before an extended warranty can be placed on the unit

• Waiting until manufacturer warranty expires will almost always take you into a new calendar year, resulting in price increases based on model year

To sum up, you can wait until your factory warranty expires before securing coverage with Wholesale Warranties, but this will result in a reduction in term as well as an average of a 20% increase in warranty price!

If I secure coverage now, does the extended warranty provide any benefits while my factory warranty is in place?

Yes, it does! If you are more than 100 miles from home and the RV will be in the repair shop overnight, you can take advantage of great trip interruption benefits including $150 per day for food and hotel, and $75 per day for car rental. If you have a breakdown requiring mobile service in order to render the RV drivable/towable and the manufacturer warranty will not provide this service, our policy will provide up to $200 for the service call!

Questions? Give me a call, and I'll be happy to walk you through your coverage, term and pricing options.

I look forward to hearing from you!
----------
Ray
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Write a letter now.... to the state attorney general, consumer affairs dept., and lay out your case. Make it certified mail...return receipt requested. Send a copy to WW and dealer from whom you bought the coach.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Write a letter now.... to the state attorney general, consumer affairs dept., and lay out your case. Make it certified mail...return receipt requested. Send a copy to WW and dealer from whom you bought the coach.
I would not use a sledge hammer to drive a tack. Once the legal system becomes involved you lose control of the situation.

I would do as PanJH suggested-first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
If at all possible, get a refund

I had this same situation on a used Monaco MH with extended warranty. (thru a third party provider)

Because I couldn't produce maintenance records (from previous owners) my claim was denied. As such, I regretted paying for the extended warranty.

My recommendation, Get out now if you can.....
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingbiker View Post
I had this same situation on a used Monaco MH with extended warranty. (thru a third party provider)

Because I couldn't produce maintenance records (from previous owners) my claim was denied. As such, I regretted paying for the extended warranty.

My recommendation, Get out now if you can.....
Other side of the coin. I bought this MH in 2013 through Camping World on consignment. No maintenance records,just the satchel of manuals.
I also bought the ESC through CW at the same time.
The contract paid for itself+ deductibles during contract term. Not one claim was denied or questioned.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

As I see it, you may have a claim against the employee that advised you that the inspection would serve in lieu of service records. That person was serving as an agent for his company and gave you false information, information that led you to buy a policy when you might not have otherwise. It's what is called a claim of "errors and omissions" by the selling agent. The difficulty, though, will be proof of that if he denies it. A denial seems very likely to me, but maybe they have recordings of their customer interactions. Without a recording, it comes down his word vs yours. Note that a denial can take the form of feigned misunderstanding, e.g. "I would never give wrong info like that, so you must have misunderstood". How do you follow up if there is no actual proof of what was said? Threats of legal action will be empty at that point.

You don't have a claim against the insurer - the policy is quite clear about the need for maintenance and the records to prove it. It's the agent you spoke with that caused the problem, not the insurer who issued the policy.

I'd get the refund if I could and use the money to fix the Aquahot.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

That's a great example of why I don't go for extended service contracts on RV's! They leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying the claims. Get a refund on the warranty and put the money into a special bank account for repairs only.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, maintenance, warranty