Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #1

I have gotten several quotes for an extended warranty on a new Damon Tuscany. The dealer's offer is StarRV - exclusionary with 7yr/75000 mile coverage w/$50 deductible. They want $5591.00.

Warranty Experts quoted similar coverage (7yr/80k w/$100 ded) for $3028.

RVProtection.net's quote was 7yr/100k $50 ded. for $2414.

All are exclusionary with full no-deductible tire protection.

My question is why the huge difference in price? RVProtection's price seems too good to be true, and while I'm sure the dealer has a huge markup, I'd be more confident in the company because of the dealer's relationship. (Plus I could roll the cost into the loan.)

I've read the fine print on all and they seem almost identical. I know this has been done to death in the forums, and I've searched and read the posts. I also understand the wisdom of putting that money aside myself for future use, but I'd be too tempted to dip into and when I had a big problem I'd be out of luck... (I'm the grasshopper- not the ant!)

Not to mention- odds are the big breakdown will occur while far from home and a big expense could ruin your trip! (As I've learned the hard way!)

Your opinions and guidance are appreciated, as always!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #2

I have gotten several quotes for an extended warranty on a new Damon Tuscany. The dealer's offer is StarRV - exclusionary with 7yr/75000 mile coverage w/$50 deductible. They want $5591.00.

Warranty Experts quoted similar coverage (7yr/80k w/$100 ded) for $3028.

RVProtection.net's quote was 7yr/100k $50 ded. for $2414.

All are exclusionary with full no-deductible tire protection.

My question is why the huge difference in price? RVProtection's price seems too good to be true, and while I'm sure the dealer has a huge markup, I'd be more confident in the company because of the dealer's relationship. (Plus I could roll the cost into the loan.)

I've read the fine print on all and they seem almost identical. I know this has been done to death in the forums, and I've searched and read the posts. I also understand the wisdom of putting that money aside myself for future use, but I'd be too tempted to dip into and when I had a big problem I'd be out of luck... (I'm the grasshopper- not the ant!)

Not to mention- odds are the big breakdown will occur while far from home and a big expense could ruin your trip! (As I've learned the hard way!)

Your opinions and guidance are appreciated, as always!

Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #3

We had a seven year extended warrenty on our first motorhome, recouped our money within three. Others get absolutely nothing back. Except peace of mind. Insurance is something you buy and hope you don't need. The trade off for value received for money spent will always exist. As Yogi said, "you don't know if you need it till you need it."
We currently have an extended warrenty on our latest motorhome.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #4

Some ot the disparity in cost could be attributed to what is covered vs. what is not covered. In any case, whichever extended warranty you decide to choose, be sure to read CAREFULLY what is and isn't covered, AND ask questions about terms and conditions in the warranty that seem vague.

Good luck with your choice, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #5

TCayer,
Read the terms carefully and make sure it will also cover seals and rubber gasket components. On my last motorhome, I had Good Sams CSP and my carburator on the generator needed to be replaced due to a non replaceable seal between the two halves, CSP refused to pay for it citing they do not cover rubber seals and gaskets. They still refused when it was explained to them that the seal is non replacable and is part of the carburator assembly. When I purchased my 2006 motorhome, I bought "The Plan" warranty which covers everything including seals and gaskets on a NEW motorhome. Also some other motorhome owners I know had used "The Plan" to cover out of warranty issues and was pleased with the warranty company.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #6

My extended warrenty covers "non-covered parts damaged by covered parts" and "covered parts damaged by non-covered parts". This might be something to look for.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #7

In addition to coverage differences, it could be difference in markup. If you purchase from a dealer, the mark up is astronomical. You can usually negotiate them down to less than 50% of what they originally asked. It could be that one company takes lesser markup than the others.

I have found they may be worth it financially to purchase, but the hassle factor cuts into the value. You have to call first, then they may not respond for a few days, then they may want to send someone out to look at the failed part before they will allow coverage. They try to make it so difficult that you may give up and pay yourself. If you wait them out, it may ruin your vacation or time on the road.

They are not for me anymore.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #8

buck62 - what is "The Plan"? Is that a particular company's offering?

All- the 2 aftermarket ones I looked at both cover seals and "wear and tear" items. Obviously I'll have to look closer. Some of the older posts give Warranty Experts a thumbs up, but I saw a recent thread that reports their coverage a spotty at best. I'll have to check on the coverage for damage caused by non-covdered parts.

Thats why I like it here- each reply gives me more food for thought and makes me ask questions I didn't think of!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another issue is; how easy or difficult is it going to be to use the warranty.

Most warranties require preapproval before work begins. Do you have to do all the leg work, or does the repair facility do that?

If I was buying I would look for satisfied customers.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a lot of finesse that has to go into how the shop words the warranty request to the warranty company. If you have a smart and reasonable shop foreman, he knows how to go to the warranty company and on which issues.

If you make the call yourself, be sure and read in detail, the warranty terms so you will know which words to avoid to trigger a denial.

Several years ago we had to have some work done on our hydraulic slides on the 5er and it was about $1200.00. The shop got the approval and the shop manager left shortly after the work was done. The shop misplaced the paper work for several months and finally billed me. I refused to pay and ask about the warranty....response was what warranty? They looked in the file and found all of the notes and the approval notes from the warranty company. When the shop went back to the warranty company for payment, it had been too long and the approval had expired and was now denied on the basis on the work was now completed. Really a "Chicken xxxx" approach in my opinion.

I had already paid my deductible when we picked up the trailer and the shop agreed it was their fault and ate the parts and labor.

Ken
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more "got ya" to look for.... I discovered this when I tried to use my extended warranty the first time.

My plan does not cover diagnostic labor cost. If it takes 3 hrs labor (@ $110/hr) to find a $2 defective part and 10 minutes to replace, my plan would pay $20 (18 labor and 2 for part) and I pay the $330 to find the problem. Actually with $50 deductible this would not even be worth claiming.

I paid $3000 for 7 yrs/85,000 mile, bumper-to-bumper, $50 deductible service contract from United States Warranty Corp. Winnebago Dealer wanted $6000 initially but I was willing to pay only 50% if they wanted to sell me the new Winnie coach. In 1999, I paid $1000 for 7yr, never used it in 5 yrs when I sold the coach and got a $350 refund.

Like TXiceman said, the experienced rv service manager should know how to deal with these extended warranty people. Just make it clear to service mgr what you are willing to pay (my case only the $50 deductible). Also the ser mgr said he had worked with these folks before & said he had no problem and easy to work with.

Happy Trails,
Duner

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote