Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #1

Extended Warranty for Class A

We should be signing on the line next Monday on our 2015 Discovery 40G. It is used with 11,000 miles on it, 29 hours on the generator. I've test driven it,been in it, through it, under it. No signs of significant damage (a couple of small scrapes on the paint, not much worse than I've done myself to my current coach). I've called Fleetwood, Cummins and Onan with VIN/Engine Serial Numbers and Generator Serial Number and everything has come back negative as far as recalls. Car Fax report was negative. I'll do a thorough PDI on Monday, although I've been through pretty much every system I can already on previous visits and the only think I've not been able to test is the Satilite system (Winegard Mission In-Motion Dish). The only thing that needed work was the stairwell power step cover (it would go in, but would not retract), and the slide awnings tension needed to be adjusted.

So since the coaches "in service" date was June 2014, the Fleetwood warranty on the coach has expired. That leaves whatever Freightliner/Cummins/Onan warranty remains. The dealer is offering a "Platinum" extended coverage plan from USA Travel Care. This plan is "administered by" American guardian Warranty Services, and is $4,200. The brochure is a bit vague about how long the coverage lasts and I'm still investigating that part.

So my questions are:

Does anyone have experience with this particular company? How are they to deal with when making claims?

Who has shopped for other warranty companies? How much did you pay for a similar policy?

Since Warranties are generally 100% profit, has anyone negotiated at the dealer on the price?

Thanks for any inputs
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads where this company was discussed that may be helpful .

https://www.google.com/search?q=Amer...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

The dealer is the last place to purchase an extended service contract. Shop around on your own. One place to check is www.wholesalewarranties.com Buying on your own you'll be able to save some money, and in some cases actually negotiate the price since there's a pretty hefty commission involved for the seller. I wasn't able to lower the overall price of mine, but I was able to get a much lower ded.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Perfect! Great thread. Seems like WW is the place to look. I'm not a big extended warranty person. I've always been of the mind that just keeping a repair budget in place is much better than a big upfront payment. But I you're going to go the EW route it should be with someone you have confidence will pay if the repair is in line with the terms of service of the agreement. I'd bet the dealer is going to get at least 1/3 of the warranty price and probably has room to negotiate. But Wholesale Warranty appears to have many favorable comments going for it.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

Interesting development here. USA Travel/AGWS from the dealer for their "Platinum Plan" is $4200 for 5-years/50k miles. Wholesale Warranties quoted me $7300 for a similar plan that covered 6-years/70k miles. That last year of coverage got wicked expensive!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 AM   #6

It's been quite awhile since I looked at wholesale warranties. But it looks like their prices have really gone up since we got ours 3yrs. ago. Plus I understand they no longer offer unlimited mileage. I guess we were one of the lucky ones.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a