Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Extension cord-how long can it be?

We store our RV at our house. It sits about 250 feet from a 15 amp outlet in our tool shed. I would like to run power from this outlet up to the RV to power the Batteryminder Model 12248. Any suggestions on how to do this? Multiple cords, what gauge cord, etc? Thank you in advance for advice!
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

I use a 100' long 10 gauge extension cord to attach to my shore cord to power my converter and fridge. Using a small volt meter, I see less than 2 volts difference between the source receptacle and an onboard coach receptacle. I have been doing this with various trailers and rv's since 1987.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

It depends on what gauge the conductors are and how much current you're pulling. I have a 150' cord that is 4 gauge, inherited from our last rig. I use it at the S&B because it's convenient, even though the MH is only about 25' from the socket.

Note that it's the total length of the cord that you need to consider, not how far it's actually stretched out.

When the rig is parked at home, it's just the parasitic loads that are being supplied - Radio control panel, wall clock, battery charger. Before a trip, we add the fridge on a.c. to the load for a couple of days, but it's never been an issue for the 15A breaker.

I do have a 20A breaker in the house panel that just supplies a socket in what the builder assumed would be the computer room. We use it as a guest bedroom. I plan to replace the breaker with a 30A unit, then wire it to an external TT-30R receptacle on the outside wall of the garage, disconnecting the wiring to the socket in the house.

Although we normally don't come close to using even the 15A available from the house circuit, it could be useful, when we have visitors that use the RV rather than sleeping in the house, to have enough juice to run hair drier, coffee pot, computers. etc. In our climate, having to run the rig's a/c while at home is very unusual. For example, today's high was 73 with 30% humidity. Unless the visitors are from the frozen North someplace, air conditioning is not needed.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

This wire size calculator removes all doubt when choosing wiring size and length.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AWG-4 for the entire run, however, the tool shed 15A circuit and wire would not be capable of handling it. You need a run from your main box to where the RV is parked. If you are going to do that you may as well hire an electrician to do the job safely and give you a 50 amp supply.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

When figuring wire size, the distance is actually the distance times two! You must measure the distance coming and going.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
When figuring wire size, the distance is actually the distance times two! You must measure the distance coming and going.

Ed
With all due respect, this applies to DC current, not AC as the OP inquired.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This wire size calculator removes all doubt when choosing wiring size and length.
Good Post Ray

Useful info there.

Dick
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburke View Post
We store our RV at our house. It sits about 250 feet from a 15 amp outlet in our tool shed. I would like to run power from this outlet up to the RV to power the Batteryminder Model 12248. Any suggestions on how to do this? Multiple cords, what gauge cord, etc? Thank you in advance for advice!
Input Current consumption at 120Vac input, output 13V 8A Loading (UL1236) ~2Aac.

So... under full load, a little more than 2 100w light bulbs.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #10

The larger the AWG the better. No matter what gage you decide on, make sure you check the cord to see how hot it's getting. I almost melted a 100' 10 AWG cord before the breaker gave way. Just feel it with your hand if you can't hold it unplug it in a hurry.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #11

This BatteryMinder only draws 2A AC max. Anybody ever seen a 2A glass fuse? The filament is about the size of a hair.

Good posts, but some of you are over thinking this.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

Thanks for all the great information. It sounds like I should be ok stringing a couple of outdoor extension cords together to reach the RV. And I will only be powering the Battery Minder which as Dunner says only draws 2 amps maximum. I will keep an eye on it just to be sure it is working as planned.
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote