Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Extension cord questions - 50 amp

1. Had an electrician install a 50-amp plug at the house this week, but will need an extension cord to reach it. Electrician suggested making sure I got one rated for wet use, and perhaps made from SO wire, since it'll handle about anything weather-wise. I'm not finding anything much in product descriptions about this. Any suggestions on specific wording I should be looking for, or what steps will I need to take to insure the connections stay dry? (I'd just always assumed an RV extension cord would be made for outdoor use in all weather, but perhaps not.)

2. If I back my rig in, I can get away with one 30' cord - but then the rig will be facing the street. If I pull in forward for increased privacy, I'll need another 20 feet or so. Would you recommend getting two 30' cords, or one 50' cord?

Thanks!

-Larry
GiddyupgoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Unless a "rated for wet use" cable incorporates some sort of sheathing around the plugs - I can't imaging it would differ from the standard RV extension cables since the standard RV extension cables are designed for outdoor use. The typical 50 amp RV extension cable has molded plug ends and rubberized insulation from end to end - such that the only thing exposed to the elements are the blades of the plugs themselves.

As far as the question as to whether to use one 50' length or two 30' lengths - unless you're only going to use this cable for in this location where you'll always need 50' - my preference would be two 30' lengths. The next situation you need an extension may only require 15 feet of it .... you don't want to carry and deal with 35 feet of slack.

My coach has a 30' cable attached to it on the reel. I carry two 30' extensions in the basement so that I extend when necessary without having a ton of slack.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since they are designed to lie on the ground I would hope any RV rated extension cord was rated for wet use

Only thing you need to do is keep the plug/outlet (junction) out of water.. Now.. how to do that?

Easy way is to build a house for it.. Depending on how deep water gets where you are a single cement block on end,, or lay 3 side by side, lay two more (one on ech of the outer 2) then lay a 1x12 over the top.. add more 1x 12 down each side of this with a slot for the cord

Plug/outlet goes atop the middle block, then put painted lumber "roof" on so the slots go over the cord.. keeps them high and dry.

On the road I use a tool box to do that.

IF you are making a CUSTOM cord (As I did for my house) Then go to an electrictal supply. NOT to Home Depot/Lowes/Et-Al but a true electrical supply.. And buy wire that i9s oversized,, IE: if the job cvazlls for 6ga. get 4ga.. Less voltage drop.. but be cautious.. Plugs do have limits as to how much wire they can attach to.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Marinco makes power cords for boats. Pricey but effective.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

cost

don't go cheap, it will cost.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think he means "rated for ground contact" - which has to do with what wires you buy if you built that extension cord yourself. I'm sure that all commercial RV 50A extension cords are built for "wet" use.

The only thing I don't like about 2 cords is the potential for getting water in there during rain.. Keep them covered and elevated (at the connector) if you're going to use them in the rain.

I was going to ask if you could get away with using a 30A cord, which is a lot easier to deal with.. then I saw that you're in Texas...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Unless a "rated for wet use" cable incorporates some sort of sheathing around the plugs - I can't imaging it would differ from the standard RV extension cables since the standard RV extension cables are designed for outdoor use. The typical 50 amp RV extension cable has molded plug ends and rubberized insulation from end to end - such that the only thing exposed to the elements are the blades of the plugs themselves.

As far as the question as to whether to use one 50' length or two 30' lengths - unless you're only going to use this cable for in this location where you'll always need 50' - my preference would be two 30' lengths. The next situation you need an extension may only require 15 feet of it .... you don't want to carry and deal with 35 feet of slack.

My coach has a 30' cable attached to it on the reel. I carry two 30' extensions in the basement so that I extend when necessary without having a ton of slack.
To carry 50 amps those 90 feet you need 4/0 cable and I doubt you have that, cable size versus length of cable gets critical to voltage drop and the affect that has on your electrical components in the coach. You may well have only 85 to 90 volts at the coach but as you need the power in watts the amperage pulled rises to dangerous levels to meet those watts.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
To carry 50 amps those 90 feet you need 4/0 cable.....
The marketing info on the cables I'm using say they're constructing with a combination of 6/3 and 8/1. The couple of times I've used both extensions, the LED display on the Energy Management System read that there were two legs of 45 amps each being delivered. I don't recall seeing voltage reported on the LED display (and honestly, never looked for it). The occasions that I've used all three - weather nice, even a bit on the cool side - so air conditioning never came into play. Next time I'm "3 deep", I'll pay attention to the voltage under load.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

SO cable is a designation that I cannot Remember exactly what it is, but it is often used for generator supply lines and usually has a good heavy rubber jacket.

The size depends on length and load so determine if you will be using 50 amps or 30 (per branch).

30 amps per branch will support 2 ac units and change and for that a #10 cable will work but longer cable will require larger conductors.

Larger cable harder to move but if cord is to stay in your house location than go large and make a suitable storage hanger.

If plugs are not in the weather then so cord will be fine.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If you take one of the smaller plastic tubs and cut a slot in each end for the cords to lay in you can put the top back on and have a box that the connection will lay in and stay dry. I used one at home for almost 2 years when I plugged into the garage. I carry it with me now in case I need to use the extension cord. While it is not totally waterproof if will keep the connection dry even in heavy down pours.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just buy a commercially made RV 50A extension cord and you won't have to worry. It will have adequate size wire for the length and meet NEC (electrical code) for outdoor use. Molded plugs, heavy duty water proof sheathing, etc.

I carry a 15 footer, which coupled to my 35 ft shore cord gives me 50 ft overall. I know 25 & 30 ft lengths are also sold at most RV supply stores as well.

Here is an excellent one, very flexible and made with quality materials:
RV FLEX50A - Super flexible 50A cords | Technology Research, LLC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote