Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #1

Exterior Caulking/Sealants

Hello all,
We recently bought a 2008 Forest River Lexington 283. It's in excellent condition however there are some maintenance items to do and one of them is to examine and repair all verticle and horizontal seams and joints that have caulking that needs to be replaced.

I'm new to owning a motorhome so I would like to get recommendations on what caulking to use and what solvents are used to clean the seams and joints before applying the new caulk. Also, are there any tools and techniques used in removing the old caulk?

Thank you for your help.

George and Susan Boyle
Burnsville, NC
gboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First off, I would only remove the very loose sealant and not worry about trying to remove it all as it is not necessary for most cases. Cleaning with solvents is also not recommended or needed. Mild soap and water is usually sufficient. If you have a window leaking, it needs to be removed and reinstalled using a good butyl tape on the flange and then resealed. I use Dicor or Pro Flex on the roofs and Pro Flex on vertical surfaces.Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

I have, in the past, used a good stiff brush to clean the area that needed to be sealed and wiped it down. I have used C10 in the past but could not find any this year so used Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Will see how it does compared with the C10. I agree in that you should not remove any of the old sealant that is still intact and not leaking. AS always be careful when working on top of our MH's.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #4

Thank you for the information. A Camping World tech recently reported that roof is ok but will need replaced in couple years. So he got me thinking about the cualking in all of body seams and joints. And that got me looking closer and I have the clear caulking to have cracks and some has pulled away from the fiberglass body. The more I looked all over the body the more caulking issues I found. I'll take a picture of an example of the failing caulking.
I need to remove the old caulking and I was asking what tool is used so that I don't scrape or gouge the body fiberglass?
I will take your advice and use a mild soap to clean the area. I will search the Internet for the suggested caulking.

I will keep you posted on my efforts.

George Boyle
2008 Lexington 283
Burnsville, NC
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If it were me, I would use Eternabond tape instead of caulking. That is one tough tape and it lasts for at least 10 years if applied correctly. You don't have to remove any of the old caulking, just clean it well, dry and then cover the whole thing with the Eternabond making sure the tape laps about an inch over the old caulking. Roll it down firmly as you can and you are set. One caution: that tape is permanent and so you must be careful when laying it down because once down it is DOWN.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
If it were me, I would use Eternabond tape instead of caulking. That is one tough tape and it lasts for at least 10 years if applied correctly. You don't have to remove any of the old caulking, just clean it well, dry and then cover the whole thing with the Eternabond making sure the tape laps about an inch over the old caulking. Roll it down firmly as you can and you are set. One caution: that tape is permanent and so you must be careful when laying it down because once down it is DOWN.

Yes what he said! Any time you use calking it will always be a maintenance item to deal with every year..
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Ok, I will give the tape a try in an area that is not seen. I'm new to RVs and I thought members of this forum could offer solutions. Using tape instead of caulk I did not know about. So thank you for sharing your knowledge.
George
Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Melmoses,
I checked Amazon.com and found many Eternabond tape. Could you please be specific as to the exact product name?
There is one Eternabond putty tape? Other products appear to be for roofs.

I think a 2" wide tape would be ok. They only have white and gray. For the body of my Lexington a white tape would stand out because of the paint.

Anyways, thank you again for the help you have provided.

George
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Check the Eternabond website for videos.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #10

George, the Eternabond tape is only for the roof. Use it on seams, or to repair small tears, or to seal around fixtures/intrusions that go thru the roof. I recommend a roll of 4 inch wide tape, it is very useful on the roof.

I also am a newish owner of a 2008 MH, and have noticed some of the caulked seams on the sidewalls starting to age out, so I did a search and was led to this thread. So lets get some more answers specific to the sidewall seams from more experts, please
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyle View Post
Hello all,
We recently bought a 2008 Forest River Lexington 283. It's in excellent condition however there are some maintenance items to do and one of them is to examine and repair all verticle and horizontal seams and joints that have caulking that needs to be replaced.

I'm new to owning a motorhome so I would like to get recommendations on what caulking to use and what solvents are used to clean the seams and joints before applying the new caulk. Also, are there any tools and techniques used in removing the old caulk?

Thank you for your help.

George and Susan Boyle
Burnsville, NC
Check out the RVGeeks Videos on Youtube. You can subscribe to them and learn a LOT!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboyle View Post
Ok, I will give the tape a try in an area that is not seen. I'm new to RVs and I thought members of this forum could offer solutions. Using tape instead of caulk I did not know about. So thank you for sharing your knowledge.
George
I don't see that anyone answered your question yet. I too have the 'clear' type wall trim sealant/caulking and looking for the material used on your new unit. Dicor or tape will not work in these areas and will stick out like a sore thumb.

I want to reapply the sloppy OEM-factory caulking job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caulking 002.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	62280  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #13

sealants

Not sure if I got the answers I was hoping for. There are verticle and horizontal body seams that the existing sealant has cracked. You know driving the mh puts a lot of stress on these areas. Some of the caulking needs to be removed so a new sealant can be applied.

I am going to try some sealants I got at RV Center. I will let you know how it works and what tool I used to remove the old caulking.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Regards
George
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

Do not use any sealants containing silicone! It does not adhere well over time, and once applied nothing else will stick to the residue it leaves behind. I recommend the Dicor sealants, both the self-leveling for horizontal surfaces and the thicker kind for vertical surfaces.
Eternabond is a trademarked brand of sealing tape for use on the roof. Their video library is very good for learning how to use the product.
To remove the old cracked sealant from laps and joints, I use a plastic putty knife, then remove remaining stuff with turpentine-dampened rag. The turpentine is not a petroleum product, thus will not harm EPDM material nor aged-painted surfaces. It will soften old sealant and clean the surface in preparation for applying new sealant.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal