Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

Exterior Detailing

Looking for advice on the best way to restore and polish the gel coat on a fiberglass MH. Are there special polishes or will regular polishing compound and auto wax work?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check out a marine store. They have stuff that can restore boat fiberglass that leads a much rougher life than most MHs.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Exterior Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
Looking for advice on the best way to restore and polish the gel coat on a fiberglass MH. Are there special polishes or will regular polishing compound and auto wax work?
Look at Collinite Auto, Marine and Industrial Wax Products Official Site Collinite they have several products which should work.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 AM   #4

On our previous MH I used a variable speed buffer with a foam pad and applied meguiars cleaner wax. The results were outstanding. I then applied meguiars wax when the buffing was done. IMO, there is not a better way to fully clean the paint/gel coat unless you buff the surface. It takes a bit of time but the results are well worth it.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Search for "Red Max Pro" on this forum.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

I paid someone to go over mine with an orbital buffer. It took him 2 days and he used 3M products. First a cleaning agent, then a wax.
It worked great! My RV had 9 years of black streaks on it that not even Awesome could remove.
I have painted aluminum which shouldn't matter.
He charged me $300 and said after he was done he probably would have paid someone $300 if it was his RV.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My first question is are you sure you have a Gel Coat? Some or a lot of MHs have full body automotive paint with clear coat. My MH is a standard auto paint covered in a clear coat and is NOT a Gel Coat like used on a boat. If you use a boat type Gel Coat polish or cleaner it will be way too abrasive for a car type finish clear coat. I just went through this whole thing because while at the races they wanted to wash and wax my MH and use a Gel Coat sealer/Polish. I came home and called Monaco and found out what finish was on it then called Meguires and asked them what to use on it. Monaco said I had a standard type car finish with a clear coat. First thing Meguires said was NOT to use products made for Gel Coats. Meguires recommended the Ultimate Compound applied with a foam pad on an Dual Action buffer http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...mate-compound/ This will remove dirt, scratch and swirl marks from the clear coat. Then they wanted NXT Generation Tech Wax http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ech-waxreg-20/

Find out exactly what type of finish you have then call Meguires and ask the experts at 1-800-347-5700
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #8

Mike, thanks for the reply and info (and thanks as well to everyone else). I honestly just assumed that since it is fiberglass it must be gelcoat. In looking up specs I saw full-body paint options so you are probably right about it being an automotive finish with clear coat. I will be contacting Thor Industries to confirm. Thanks for the info on Meguires as it looks like good stuff. I just have to get a good orbital polisher and get busy.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Glad, you didn't put a Gel Coat product on it. According to Meguires you need a Dual Action (DA) polisher/buffer and not just an orbital polisher. Sometimes also called a Random Orbital Buffer. This means that not only does it spin but it moves in an orbit around the center. Also, you need to use foam pads so you do not put swirl marks/scratches into the finish and never lay the buffer down on the ground where it can pick up a piece of dirt. Also never use that foam pad after the polish dries on it. Always wash it out at the end of each day.

Sears sell some of these Dual Action Buffers
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

This is great but expensive
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G110v.../dp/B002XOXSI2

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote