Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone have any experience using a pressure washer to clean the windshield/exterior of the coach? Is it portable (really portable, not a 50 pound boat anchor)? Brand name?

I have a real challenge cleaning the bug uck off the higher portions of the vehicle and am looking for something that will not kill my shoulders/elbows from pushing to scrub the carcasses off the glass. Oh, and I don't do ladders really well either, so that is also a factor.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone have any experience using a pressure washer to clean the windshield/exterior of the coach? Is it portable (really portable, not a 50 pound boat anchor)? Brand name?

I have a real challenge cleaning the bug uck off the higher portions of the vehicle and am looking for something that will not kill my shoulders/elbows from pushing to scrub the carcasses off the glass. Oh, and I don't do ladders really well either, so that is also a factor.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doc heres some info on what your looking for, types and do's and don'ts. LINK
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #4

Hi Doc!

I have had a Black & Decker 110v pressure washer for a few years. It advertises 1300 psi and I use it frequently for spraying off both the coach, SUV, our patio, the driveway at home and drive strips and our shed in Fla. I use the widest spray pattern and do not get close to the surfaces so as to do any damage. Another advantage is that it uses far less water than when you spray down with a hose as you can direct it just where you want the spray.

It is not heavy or large and stores easily in the MH basement. Works great!

I think Route66(Dirk) got one similar to this one but different brand when we were all at Camp Newmar. Maybe he will chime in with which one he picked up.

Larry & Cathy Gross

2005 Dodge Durango
Iowa Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doc Mark:

I have a real challenge cleaning the bug uck off the higher portions of the vehicle and am looking for something that will not kill my shoulders/elbows from pushing to scrub the carcasses off the glass. Oh, and I don't do ladders really well either, so that is also a factor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used a pressure washer on my double pane windows and forced water between the panes of glass on one of the bedroom fixed windows. IMHO, I would not use a pressure washer on double pane windows, decals, diamond shield or any area under the coach with electrical wiring.

I now only hand wash with an RV brush on a hose.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think Route66(Dirk) got one similar to this one but different brand when we were all at Camp Newmar. Maybe he will chime in with which one he picked up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on Larry's recommendation, I bought a $99 1550 PSI power washer from Lowes.

I used it a couple of times with limited success. It didn't do a very good job unless you were inches from the bugs, so a ladder is necessary.

I have already given it to my daughter, who now has 2 power washers, including the gas model I gave her when starting fulltiming.

I don't see the value in carrying it as a fulltimer.

If I had a home base, I would have one.

In reality, I can still use both of them.

I did use it at Newmar last week and a neighbor warned that a direct blast at a pin hole rock chip in the Diamond Shield could lift the Diamond Shield, as his did.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Try wetting down the coach with a hose and then use a Bounce fabric softener sheet that you have also wet down. Attach the sheet to a brush and it will wipe away the bugs, etc. Hose all down when finished. Won't hurt anything.

If you do use a pressure washer be very careful, and as said above keep the spray as gentle as possible. In other words, don't bother.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote