Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

I have a need to hook up an external propane tank to my regular propane line to supply my coach.

I am going to be parked at the end of a rough road for a few months and would like to take the external tank to town to fill. Is there a way to extend the regualr hose to connect to the external tank.

If not what would you suggest?
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #2

I have a need to hook up an external propane tank to my regular propane line to supply my coach.

I am going to be parked at the end of a rough road for a few months and would like to take the external tank to town to fill. Is there a way to extend the regualr hose to connect to the external tank.

If not what would you suggest?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #3

Try this: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/50525.htm
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #4

I think you should look into the local laws that reg that type of things.As far as the mechanic's,if where me,I would look for a "T" with a quick connect and shut off the valve on my reg MH tank.The other thing to consider is the size of your MH tank and have one as big or bigger than that.You should consider the draw of youe MH's needs so you don't freeze the line up from too small of a tank.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The Extend-A-Stay or Extend-A-Stay plus works very well at exactly what you want to do. Fill the large tank on motorhome and then install the Extend-A-Stay and buy a 30# bottle and connect to the Extend-A-Stay. Use the gas out of the 30# DOT bottle and close the main tank valve off. When you need to refill the 30# bottle open the main tank valve and use its gas untill you get the bottle filled, reconnect and turn off the main valve again.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Extend-A-Stay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had my dealer install it predelivery. I am sure it could have been a DIY project. It works great. We volunteer for the FWS 3 months at a time and once set up seldom move. I must have changed out a dozen or more of the 20# and 1/2 dozen of the 30# over the last three years.
I did call a propane company (near Roswell,NM) once about renting a larger tank and having propane delivered. There was an issue, I didn't fully understand, about their regulator rent and a reconnection charge each fill so I stayed with my 20#ers.
It connects upstream from the MH regulator (with MH tank turned off) so I didn't see a need for an additional requlator. Just have to be sure everything is turned off when I do the switch over and to relight the stove pilot light Good Luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #7

Extend-a-stay
Here's another thumbs up for the product. Had our local RV service install and rented / then bought a 100# tank that stands next to the camper. It allows us to heat and use the camper if we have a lot of family during the winter holidays without depleting the campers propane.(I hate digging the camper out of a snowbank just to go get propane)

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I installed Extend-A-Stay in about an hour. This includes making a brace for the regulator as you have to move it and it needs some support.

BEFORE

AFTER

EXTERNAL TANK

Old 10-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Since I don't anticipate using an external tank I turned my T valve connection 90 degrees from Dale's. We use our basement electric heat pump for most of our FL winter heating so can do almost a year on our 28 gallon built in tank. Turning the T connector 90 degrees gave me easier access to the outlet for my grill.

I used the Stay-A-While Deluxe from Camping World. Comes with 2 hoses, a 12' for a grill and a 5' for an external tank.

Stay A While Deluxe
Camping World Catalog Item # 30340
Club SALE $64.99 SAVE $18
SALE $72.22 was $83.33

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #10

Thanks to everybody for the help. I picked up the Stay-a-While from my local camping world on sale. Haven't got the install done yet because it has been raining.