Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Thanks for all the good info. I have not been to scales in quite some time. Will I be able to weigh one wheel at a time at the scales? I have only weighed my fifth wheel and did not have to weigh one tire at a time.

rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Hi rek,
It all depends. The best place to get your coach weighed is at large rallies. RV Safety is usually at large rallies. Go to RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida to see what their schedule is. If you go to Flying J, Pilot or other truck stops, they have scales. These scales are made for axle weighing. To weigh four corners you'll need to find one of these scales that will allow you to pull on the scale like a truck (get axles weight) and then pull on a second time with either just the left or right wheels on the scale. Sometimes you can to this and sometimes you can not. Once you have the one side weight, you can subtract that from the first weighing of the entire axle to get the other side wheel weight. Depending on the height of the scale above the ground, there will be a slight distortion of the weight due to the angle of the coach. The flatter the better, for the second weighing. This should get you really close to what your four corner weight is.

Over four years, my coach gained 2K pounds of weight . I'm still trying to determine where that weight came from and what I can do without. The coach is well balanced and I am under my GAWRs so their is no safety problem. I just do not know where one ton of stuff is that wasn't there 4 years ago.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #17
Gary, maybe your coach now weighs more because the weight of fuel went up, I know my wallet weighs less.
rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
rek......Here are a couple of other things to considerate. One of the issues was touched upon. As you drive, focus farther down the road, rather than right in front of you. This will slow down the over correcting issue.

Next, try a little experiment, (this is more effective on DP's). Tilt the steering wheel as far forward as possible and drive for a few minutes. Then pull the steering wheel back as far as it goes. You'll naturally steer more when the wheel is all the way forward and less when it is back. Find a happy medium.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Suspension problems

Originally Posted by rek View Post
We just bought an 09 Monico Monarch 35SFD and it wanders all over the road. Mainly on the highway. I am thinking of adding Safe-T- Plus Stabilizer. Would this be the best solution for the money? Why doesn't Monico add these at the factory so you don't have to address this problem on a brand new Coach??? I know some of the problem is my getting used to driving it and not over reacting every time it wanders but it could be much improved.
I have the same complaint on my 2007 Safari Simba. My alignment is fine and the tire pressure is right on according to the dealer. I also have too much body sway side to side. The dealer says his customers swear by Koni Shocks and Steer Safe. I may also ask for some type of stabilizer on the rear. My coach was purchased used and the previous owner never did the recall work to the trailing arms. I am having that done also. The dealer says that when people leave the service area they can tell the difference before they exit the parking lot. He wasn't pushy about selling me on these improvements, in fact I asked him for help. He said that he wants to sell me something that works, he doesn't want customers coming back and complaining that nothing is different. The body sway may have contributed to my windshield popping out. I am unsure what to put on the rear. Just fixing the cracked trailing arms may help. Any ideas for the rear?

azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote